• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. And the plane sounds are doubled, because some of the Spitfire engine is sampled into Supermarine, yes.

But the simplest reasoning is that the clock is like the taiko in Journey to the Line. A constant, ever-present rhythm. Sure, it's about adding a sense of urgency in another film where Nolan plays with time perception, but I think it's about having an urgent and constant rhythm. And I actually think that focusing the PR on the whole sampled watch thing is looking at the wrong aspects of the score and, actually, the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. The sampled watch thing is, simply, glorified percussion. What's more interesting is how this score fits into Hans' war film oeuvre. And not just more interesting, it's actually quite relevant for the understanding of his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017
    don't mind the clock. hate the fact that i hear actual sfx in my music though. want airplane and spitfire sounds, screams sirens or explosions? do it with an orchestra.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. My review of DUNKIRK, for anyone who's interested.

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/07/25/dunkirk-hans-zimmer/

Jon
  4. Demetris wrote
    don't mind the clock. hate the fact that i hear actual sfx in my music though. want airplane and spitfire sounds, screams sirens or explosions? do it with an orchestra.

Just like Hans did with the "sea wind" with the choir in Interstellar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited
    As I pointed out in another thread (I'm bizarrely defending this film and score left and right now, on multiple film music forums, despite the rave reviews both have received everywhere else), I interpret the 'machinery' connotations of the music not only in a literal sense. So not only mirroring the actual machinery on display in the film, but also the machinery of the story, so to speak. This is also a fairly common element in Nolan's movies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote

Just like Hans did with the "sea wind" with the choir in Interstellar?

yes, it was fantastic. beautiful and eerie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017 edited
    I saw the movie DUNKIRK yesterday. It was a long time ago I had seen such an intense movie. What a spectacle!

The early scene where the first bombs are dropped on the beach give me shivers, so frightening. There were many moments where I felt horror. The scene where the wounded man is carried to the ship made me sweat and the airfighting scenes (we just see the eyes of Tom Hardy) are spectacular. The score increases the insanity and constant pressure. On cd my favourite track was The Mole and Supermarine, but in the movie many moments stood out. It's the constant fear and feeling of pressure that is being enforced. I don't think it's brilliant but it's defenitely extremely well done. Variations 15 was a welcome relief after almost two hours of clock ticking and shepards tones swirling around.

Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of DUNKIRK, for anyone who's interested.

I think you wanted a different movie?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017
    thanks Bregt, will watch next week!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of DUNKIRK, for anyone who's interested.

I think you wanted a different movie?

i don't know about this as i haven't watched it yet, but generally speaking, he is right that there IS a troubling tendency to consider anything with melody or recognizable theme, or orchestral old-fashioned. And i believe it comes from studio execs, producers and directors. When you hear purely orchestral people like federico jusid or phillipe rombi putting out poorly executed bass and synth / electronic drones just to make ends meet and pay the bills, you can tell there's a tendency, to put it subtly smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    There are still many orchestral scores and many movies that have focus on the characters instead. Dunkirk relies heavily on the state of the situation, feeling of fear, being trapped. Dunkirk is rather an exception. I wouldn't have liked the see a small side story of some of the lead characters in Dunkirk, like Jon proposes in his review. It would not make sense within that movie ([spoiler]there's a scene where Brannagh says "I can see it from here. home"[/spoiler]. That sort of didn't fit completely with the rest of the movie).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I wouldn't have liked the see a small side story of some of the lead characters in Dunkirk, like Jon proposes in his review.

Me neither. It's the absence of that kind of storytelling that makes this so good, IMO. It's the claustrophobic sense of 'being there' (notice all the close framings), and the manipulation of our sense of time within three different timelines.

As I've tried to say over on FSM, I think it's important to look at this for what it is, not what it could or should have been in a more traditional storytelling format.

And I say that, not even being so enamoured by this as my colleagues. It's a 4 out of 5 star movie, currently on my 8th place of the year. I rank it below INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION and MEMENTO, but before the other Nolan movies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Just wanted to put this Prince of Egypt medley out there, another brilliant french horn (and trumpet) rendition by the multi-talented Marc Papeghin. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017
    I recently picked up a book called "John Williams's Film Music", which is essentially a scholarly deconstruction of John's neoclassical style, with a whole chapter devoted to analyzing Raiders of the Lost Ark.

He goes on to write about Hans Zimmer, writing a paragraph that I think perfectly summarizes the man in accurate language.

With the help of computers, many orchestrators and arrangers (Who can definitely be called ghostwriters in these cases), musicians who would not be able to write music in the traditional way, become composers of "symphonic" music. Hans Zimmer, a self-taught keyboardist with a background in rock music and whose specialty is scoring action films, can be considered the epitome of contemporary eclecticism. His music is a kind of rock/techno arranged for symphony orchestra by a team of collaborators, arrangers, and orchestrators. Zimmer is famous for having founded Media Ventures, later renamed Remote Control Productions, a firm specializing in film scores co-written by a pool of musicians, a sort of factory where Zimmer seems to act more as an executive producer and coordinator than a composer. His idiom can be recognized by simple motifs characterized by hompohony, basic chord progressions, no contrapuntal writing or use of inner voices, synthesizer pads as harmonic backing for the acoustical instruments, a pounding rhythmic section, and overwhelmingly low frequencies. Like techno music, all these elements have a strong, visceral, and immediate impact on the listener. The results are effective, but are all quite similar to each other..His music is very direct and has no virtuoso writing pretensions that would require aural foregrounding; he employs instead visceral and pulsating rhythms along with basic melodies with uncomplicated textures that act as a background to the sound effects' starring role. Zimmer's music blends perfectly with the aggressive sound design of contemporary cinema.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  5. And in plain, legible English?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And in plain, legible English?

cool
  6. I don't know. I have stated before that composers (in the general, not the academic sense of the word) that come from a pop music background have been present in film scoring long before Hans Zimmer. A friend of mine, a colleague who teaches music at my school, once put it: Zimmer doesn't write music, he invents it. Although I believe he is quite capable of reading sheet music.
    Think of Vangelis: He never even learned to play the piano. He doesn't read of write a note of music. That didn't stop him from creating great film scores and the same is true for Hans Zimmer.
    Yes, his background is very different from that of Williams. Zimmer's music is not as relevant in an artistic way as is Williams' music. Zimmer's music is not as nuanced, as complex, as methodically structured. But some of the most interesting sounds created with synthesizers that I have ever encountered, were made by Zimmer. And boy has he "invented" some gorgeous melodies!
    So lets not compare apples and pears here. Sneering at self taught amateurs is intellectual arrogance. Williams may be the Beethoven of film music. Being the [insert your rock star of choice] of film music isn't that bad either.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017 edited
    Yes, the quote from the Audissino book above is just hogwash and a typical example of intellectual arrogance/ignorance. I've also read (other segments of) that book, and it suffers immeasurably by a fragmented structure and unfounded arguments. Sorry, Emilio, if you're reading, but I believe I said this to you over on JWFAN too. In several parts, it does not live up to academic standards -- even if the project itself is commendable.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. He can at least follow full score during recording and talk about specific bars, even change orchestrations during a session. I can attest for that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017
    Any musician who has been in the business that long and has continuously worked cannot fail to become more knowledgeable and improve their abilities.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm interested in what Captain Future and Thor think is intellectually arrogant or even negative about Audissino's assertions. He hardly claimed anything controversial, let alone anything really negative. The only thing he says against Zimmer is that he makes no "virtuoso pretensions" and that his scores are rather similar to one another. I bet Zimmer himself would agree with the first claim (he's admitted his music is quite simple), and it's not as if the second is any radical or new statement.

I wasn't actually quoting it as an invective against Zimmer, I just thought it was a great summary of his music. I think that what Audissino describes, "His music is a kind of rock/techno arranged for symphony orchestra" is an interesting field of music that has yet to be fully explored, despite a great showcase of its abilities in TRON: LEGACY.

And frankly, Thor, I have to wonder which is more arrogant and intellectually dishonest, writing a paragraph attempting to analyze a man's body of work (in a book that quotes literally hundreds of sources), or calling such paragraph 'hogwash' without offering a single refutation or counter-point. Do you disagree that Zimmer is a " self-taught keyboardist with a background in rock music "? Or that "His idiom can be recognized by simple motifs characterized by hompohony, basic chord progressions"? If so, I'd love to hear some more detail on the topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a weak paragraph because it makes value judgements based on presuppositions rather than empirical material (like "His music is very direct and has no virtuoso writing pretensions that would require aural foregrounding"). If you're gonna make value judgements in a scholarly text (which you really shouldn't), then be damn sure to back it up. It's also full of sweeping, even false generalizations (like "His idiom can be recognized by simple motifs characterized by hompohony, basic chord progressions""). This is not up to academic standard. I could easily pick the quote apart, almost sentence by sentence, but to be honest, I have better things to do right now.

Also, Zimmer has rarely touched "techno" (the casual use by which Emilio puts that word out there, rather displays his own limited knowledge of electronic music). But it's true that a lot of his music has a prog rock feel, and that the orchestra -- if employed -- is mostly used for colourization or as a singular instrument. Not always, but often.

There is no reason for Emilio to describe Zimmer in such indirectly disparaging remarks in an analysis book about John Williams. If he wants to contextualize Williams' position on the contemporary film music scene, there are other ways to do it.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I'm in total agreement with Thor here. The value judgement is quite obvious and without empirical backup. The author sounds like a Williams fanboy pissed off by the fact that a self taught upstart that makes plastic music with computers rivals his idol in popularity.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Agreed with Thor and Volker. Also, aside from the value judgment, just the basic fact of describing Zimmer's music as a comparison to John Williams, not just the fact of holding Zimmer up to those standards, but to state that Williams' method of composition is the prime example of how to score filmmusic and then point out how other composers don't match that standard, is unfair and unacademic. If you only talk about Zimmer in comparison to Williams, you won't be able to discuss techniques by Zimmer that are uniquely his own and will do Zimmer a gross injustice. They have two completely different techniques for film composition, both with their unique qualities, and they should be judged on their own merits, not in the light of someone else.

I also think this is a common mistake made by a lot of filmmusic enthousiasts on the boards. You just expect an academic to be above this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exactly. It's like criticizing Bob Dylan for not writing as good electronic music as Vangelis. I believe it's the rhetorical fallacy called 'false equivalence'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It reminds me of Dirk Brossé's statement on the press conference before the Cliff Martinez concert a few years ago. Brossé, a great conductor but very conservative when it comes to film music (an issue because he is artistic director of the film music events), said that film music is at best with orchestra, because there are more layers and bla bla, and all that while introducing Martinez' music, which is a blend of orchestra and electronics. Martinez himself was sitting a few seats next to Bross. Imagine the awkwardness.

The result was a totally butchered concert where orchestra tried to do things that it couldn't and a lot of Martinez's sound was removed. It was the worst WSA concert I've ever attended, because of his choices.

It's a constant issue, that electronics and orchestra are enemies of some sort.

Not entirely unrelated, but often electronics and computers get the weirdest out of people. I'm "an IT guy" because my profession is programming. Sometimes I get, part jokingly, comments that it is not a though/real job, because ... it's "computers" and not people or not real life issues etc. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Not entirely unrelated, but often electronics and computers get the weirdest out of people. I'm "an IT guy" because my profession is programming. Sometimes I get, part jokingly, comments that it is not a though/real job, because ... it's "computers" and not people or not real life issues etc. dizzy

Really? In this day and age, that's really weird. Especially because many people actually live out their social lives on computers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh wow, haha, indeed. And yet, with its blend of mathematics, geometry and related to "real people problems" solved through programming, you could even say it can be one of the toughest jobs around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    It reminds me of Dirk Brossé's statement on the press conference before the Cliff Martinez concert a few years ago. Brossé, a great conductor but very conservative when it comes to film music (an issue because he is artistic director of the film music events), said that film music is at best with orchestra, because there are more layers and bla bla, and all that while introducing Martinez' music, which is a blend of orchestra and electronics. Martinez himself was sitting a few seats next to Bross. Imagine the awkwardness.

The result was a totally butchered concert where orchestra tried to do things that it couldn't and a lot of Martinez's sound was removed. It was the worst WSA concert I've ever attended, because of his choices.

It's a constant issue, that electronics and orchestra are enemies of some sort.

Also, exactly, this. Love this story, and this whole discussion by the way, as it perfectly illustrates my frustration with how a lot of people on message boards and 'in the community' criticise the current state of filmmusic as if the old fashioned way of doing it is the one all and end all, while Brosse clearly was snobbistic about it and then showed he clearly didn't understand the value of electronics. Let's hope he learned from that situation, but I fear he didn't.

The man still conducted the original recording of Elliot Goldenthal's Final Fantasy though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it's partly an attitude problem, partly an ignorance problem. Also, making sweeping generalizations and 'gut' remarks is always easier (especially online) than any constructive look at things.
    I am extremely serious.