• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017
    I saw the movie yesterday.

There are plenty of things I like in it, but also some I have issues with. I haven't quite made up my mind yet; I think it needs to gestate a bit more, and I need to see it again. Here are some comments about the score that I posted over on JWFAN:

First of all, I KNOW this will be a divisive score -- much like DUNKIRK and Zimmer in general, really. I'm also quite divided myself, but I veer towards liking it overall.

The best parts were unquestionably the big, zithering Vangelis chords that Zimmer emulates very well. It sounds just like I expected -- Vangelis channeled through Zimmer. There is hardly any composer alive today more able to do this than Zimmer.

Then there were some other elements that were also cool -- a big, dark, male chorus for certain city scenes, for example. Loved it.

I'm more torn on some of the percussive effects, and a "BRAM"-like effect that sounds as if a fast motorcycle is speeding up. It's a bit too present for my taste, and not as organic as Vangelis. I'm 100% certain that this particular part of the soundscape will be hated by a lot of people here. I haven't quite made up my mind yet. I don't even know if it's part of the sound design or the music, but I think it's intended as music.

Overall, I would say that the score is far more gritty than Vangelis' original. There are few moments of beauty. It also feels like a massive "cushion" in many scenes, with hums in the lower register. The sound is MASSIVE here.

Vangelis' "Tears in Rain" cue makes a cameo, but I'm not going to say where.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks man! listening to it now. not having see the film, i can tell you it's standard one-note bassy drone throughout so far, on disc, nothing even comes close to the organic and nostalgic nature of vangelis' music. from the reviews i've read in the pre-screenings of the film so far (guardian i think, variety etc) it was pretty evident how it'd sound, and certainly not a surprise for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017 edited
    'memory' is a nice cue so far...and 'mesa'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see that the current album is friggin' 90 minutes long?!?

I'm hoping there will be a, say, 50-minute-something album out. Or else I have a lot of playlisting to do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    listening on spotify, twice today.so far, i found 2 listenable cues listed above smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    btw Thor, is the film worth it my friend? or is it just hype? how is it like? thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yep, 2 cues, and 'tears in the rain' and that's vangelis' wink 2 cues all in all. i found SEA WALL too noisy. And in 'blade runner' they brought in all those noisy messy percussive leftovers from amazing spiderman etc, mixed it up a bit, renamed it and here you have the new title track wink they fired Johannssonn over this? the sorry, ridiculous state of film music today. biggrin
  1. Thor wrote
    I see that the current album is friggin' 90 minutes long?!?

I'm hoping there will be a, say, 50-minute-something album out. Or else I have a lot of playlisting to do.

There are a few unrelated songs scattered about, the score itself runs to something like 70-75 minutes. Still probably too long for the material, though. The album releases for this have been a bit of a mess, I think there are supposed to be two versions, a 1- and 2-CD? But I can't find any concrete information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    so blade runner is out on spotify today...nobody listened yet? smile

oh checking it out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    let us know! I found more to be enjoyed in dunkirk than this.
  2. Thor wrote
    The best parts were unquestionably the big, zithering Vangelis chords that Zimmer emulates very well. It sounds just like I expected -- Vangelis channeled through Zimmer. There is hardly any composer alive today more able to do this than Zimmer.

Daft Punk could have done it, and done it incredibly well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    oh, word. you're so spot on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I have found it on Spotify, listened to it, and will never listen to it again. Personally a huge disappointment.
  3. They come from a slightly different tradition though. Hans has downright internalized some elements of Vangelis' style and he's been doing that for years (hell, even King Arthur goes Vangelis a few times). That's why he's the natural choice to consider if you need someone to channel that style without actually ripping off anything that's not a thematic reference.

Daft Punk goes into similar territories, but is more (and I mean that in a good way) streamlined. I intend to delve more into Hans' beginnings to find exactly what the sources are. But to put it succinctly, Daft Punk would probably go pure nostalgia and yes, they could have done it incredibly well, but Hans (and Wallfisch proved he can do similar in Dunkirk) has an intimate understanding of why it works.

And it didn't come to me as a surprise that he actually pulled the CS-80 synth out. He doesn't have to emulate it. He does own it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I do see what you mean, Pawel, and I agree. I should note I haven't listened to the new Blade Runner score yet so this is all hypothetical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Daft Punk could have done it, and done it incredibly well.

this guy gets it
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    btw Thor, is the film worth it my friend? or is it just hype? how is it like? thanks

Yes, most DEFINITELY worth seeing. So many good scenes, and I like the direction they've taken it. But I can't do a proper evaluation yet. Need to see it at least one more time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yes, most DEFINITELY worth seeing. So many good scenes, and I like the direction they've taken it. But I can't do a proper evaluation yet. Need to see it at least one more time.

thanks man!
  5. Two huge Blade Runner fans with a popular Youtube channel have watched it and have nothing but praise for the sequel. It surpasses their enormous expectations.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Reviewers in Germany are raving about it.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In Norway too.

But I'm still on the fence. My brain has started to formulate the things that I DIDN'T particularly care for, although the strengths may be outweighing them, overall.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017
    Here's a transcription and cover I've done of the Red Sea cue from The Prince of Egypt !
    The horn arrangements are quite unique on that one smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8nhbnwths0
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017
    Marc wrote
    Here's a transcription and cover I've done of the Red Sea cue from The Prince of Egypt !

Hey, stop talking about non-BLADE RUNNER things! wink

In all seriousness, thanks for the link, Marc! I'll check it out now.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Marc wrote

Brilliant !!!!! But you know that already. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. I'll just leave this here. BR2049 review. Probably the shittest thing I've heard this year... and I thought it's been a pretty shit year so far.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  9. Synchrotones wrote
    Probably the shittest thing I've heard this year... and I thought it's been a pretty shit year so far.

don't say it too loudly Pete, or they might call you biased wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017
    I reviewed it, but didn't say anything interesting, so don't bother reading it:

http://www.movie-wave.net/blade-runner-2049/
  10. My review of BLADE RUNNER 2049, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/10/10/blad … ns-zimmer/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    Not surprised you didn't care for it, Jon. I still maintain that there's a pretty good 50-something-minute album buried in here (heavier on the Vangelis vibes and bits and pieces of the action stuff). I'm seeing the film for the second time on Thursday. Perhaps I'll appreciate the parts of thes score that I didn't care for then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    Synchrotones wrote
    I'll just leave this here. BR2049 review. Probably the shittest thing I've heard this year... and I thought it's been a pretty shit year so far.

yep, pretty much with you
    about the shitty sound design sold as music
    and the year overall so far. film music has hit new low with dunkirk and blade runner this year, with the formalization of bassy drony sound designed being passed around as film music these days and mark my words, you will know see this trend even more and more the next years.