• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021 edited
    Thanks for relaying that information. It does sound like the “in jest” comments were what got to Lauren - quite often people don’t know how sensitive the subject is, and people tend to joke about it (being gay myself I know how often such “harmless” jokes happen and the impact it can have, with people that make those comments being simply ignorant of other people’s feelings). She seems a bit ambivalent on Twitter about whether she got fired, or quit herself because she got fed up with the comments.

By the way, her IMDB also lists her as Score Technical Assistant on Kung Fu Panda 3 and Batman v Superman, so that adds up.
  1. Yes, it's a learning process, really. Certain jokes aren't "fun" anymore and at least we start questioning if they are.

Remember, there is a certain systemic aspect to the tough room that Hans is talking about. And systems tend to reproduce themselves. Also, he is still a boomer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021
    Yes, and this happened 5 years ago. A lot has happened in the interim when I comes so sensitivity towards the LGBTQ+ community and general awareness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for investigating, Pawel. That makes more sense! I'm getting sick and tired of all the Zimmer witch hunting.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. He was gracious with his time about it and explained a few things.
  3. Another thing I failed to mention. While I have no intention of finding out her deadname obviously, whenever she has credits, she's already credited as Lauren. So she got all that AFTER transition (unless she kept her deadname)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Not necessarily, it’s very well possible she started using ‘Lauren’ during the process of transitioning or even before, in anticipation of the ‘medical’ transition. It also depends on your definition of ‘transitioning’. So I wouldn’t draw any conclusions on this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The 'deadname' phenomenon is a strange new thing that I have trouble relating to. For example, I have a hard time calling Ellen Page by any other name, even though she's transitioned. I'm trying to keep up with woke culture as much as possible, but sometimes I have to admit that I'm simply too old to keep up with everything.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    *he transitioned wink.

But do you know why you have such a hard time with it? I can imagine it’s a bit of a switch for you at first, and you can slip up in conversation because you have more familiarity with his older self, but ultimately it’s nothing more but just making some effort of calling him ‘he/him’ and Elliot now. It’s an effort for everybody, it’s just, are you willing to make it? Or do you have a more deep rooted problem with seeing a person as something other than the gender they were assigned at birth? (no disrespect intended by the way, just wondering how come you still call Elliot by ‘her’ and ‘Ellen’ in a written post smile).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    *he transitioned wink.

Ha, ha....yes, case in point.

But do you know why you have such a hard time with it? I can imagine it’s a bit of a switch for you at first, and you can slip up in conversation because you have more familiarity with his older self, but ultimately it’s nothing more but just making some effort of calling him ‘he/him’ and Elliot now. It’s an effort for everybody, it’s just, are you willing to make it? Or do you have a more deep rooted problem with seeing a person as something other than the gender they were assigned at birth? (no disrespect intended by the way, just wondering how come you still call Elliot by ‘her’ and ‘Ellen’ in a written post smile).

No, no, nothing deeprooted. I support everything and anything in this regard. Just a difficulty in adapting to all the new woke elements in our society, as someone who's grown up in a very different time. So yeah, I can easily slip up in a conversation. Another example is the LGBT abbreviation. I've just gotten used to this particular abbreviation, even though I'm aware it's been expanded to include more groups.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah okay! By the way, a new term for the community that’s starting to get in vogue is the Alphabet Mafia, maybe that’s a little easier and encompasses everyone :p.
  4. Pawel Stroinski wrote
    It's Filmtracks, anything you could put against Hans is pretty much fair game over there with Edmund being a rare sane defender.

Thor wrote
    Thanks for investigating, Pawel. That makes more sense! I'm getting sick and tired of all the Zimmer witch hunting.

Interestingly I would say that the most "witch hunty" comments over on Filmtracks are coming from users who are far from regulars (like Mr. Jingle Jangles who is a borderline troll anyways), or who I don't even recognize. Remember it's an open forum there, anyone can post. So I don't know who has it out for him but it's not the regular community there and even Clemmensen himself - who ordinarily never misses an opportunity to savage Zimmer and his business - is soft pedaling and saying "It's not our job to prosecute any potential crimes by Zimmer."

Personally I agree with Thor that this seems very out of character for Hans, but then again who people present themselves as isn't necessarily who they are. We will see if anything more comes of this. I imagine nothing will, honestly.
  5. I have little benefit of the doubt about people who come to FilmTracks. There are great unbiased guys there, but I can't seriously attend the Scoreboard due to Christian's own bias. The FB group is perfect for me, because I can hang out with the better denizens of the Board, while maintaining my contribution boycott on the site. I still lurk though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021 edited
    I agree with Thor that it's quite hard to change the inner image of a person that you've had for years or even decades. The same happened with a very good friend of ours who transitioned. I found it extremely difficult to think of him the way he wanted to, regardless of how much I wanted to support him, and sometimes I slipped, which he didn't like. But over time I could make it clear to him that it was not out of ignorance or some kind of inner resistance. Once he accepted that, things went quite smoothly, and today my inner image of him has completely changed.

So yeah, it is a process, especially if you're older. Like Thor I support the whole thing. Everyone should be able to decide for themselves who they want (or, in most cases, need ) to be, but I have difficulties with the way that "correct speech" is demanded from the get go. I'd say if you change your name and start to act and/or look - even remotely - the way you feel inside, the transformation in other peoples' minds will follow automatically. Just give it a bit more time and don't think of anyone having difficulties as anti-trans immediately. This whole thing would go a lot smoother if people weren't so f*cking demanding all the time. I understand their impatience and their suffering (as good as I can for someone who has never been abused for something like this), but you can't rush these things, or you will automatically create resistance.

On the other hand, there are those who oppose this kind of thing (the transition of people and/or the speech changing) who will not change their way of thinking or talking about and seeing the other person no matter what. While I can understand some of their points, most of the time it turns out they are just asshats, and that's unacceptable, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2021 edited
    Just came back from DUNE (in IMAX).

It's easily my favourite film of the year (so far). Denis Villeneuve is truly the new Ridley Scott in terms of both narrative depth and visual style. People weaned on Marvel and tapid blockbusters will no doubt find it dour and depressive, and call for the "fun" of it all, but I'm oh so thankful it doesn't have anything of that, and takes itself very seriously. Love the lower tempo, the dream segments, the vistas, the stagings. 2 1/2 hours flew by extremely quickly, and can't wait for part 2 (providing there will be a part 2).

Zimmer's score has some great parts. Absolutely love the GLADIATOR stylings for the fremen/the desert, all the music surrounding the prophecy and the use of vocals. That's the visionary Zimmer I had hoped for and expected. However, there are other parts -- mostly the action stuff with electric guitars and whatnot -- that becomes too much of a "loudness war". When the soundtrack comes out, I'm expecting to weed most of this stuff out (I have no doubt the soundtrack will be insanely long, as has been Zimmer's practice in recent years). There's a rhythmical, Tangerine Dream-like sequencer track that is very cool too; gets to shine in the middle part of the end credits. I see that Klaus Schulze has co-written a track with Zimmer, I wonder if that's it -- it's got the Berlin school nailed down, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2021 edited
    Good to hear! Does the film cut off at a satisfactory point, btw? As in, could it be a self contained story if somehow Part 2 doesn’t come through? At least some kind of closure? Or does it end on a cliffhanger?
  6. Is it possible to comment on how the OST compares to the 'sketchbook' release (ahead of a release of the OST)?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2021
    BobdH wrote
    Good to hear! Does the film cut off at a satisfactory point, btw? As in, could it be a self contained story if somehow Part 2 doesn’t come through? At least some kind of closure? Or does it end on a cliffhanger?

It ends open-ended, not unlike FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. So if the second part never comes to fruition, we will be terribly shortchanged, sorry to say.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it possible to comment on how the OST compares to the 'sketchbook' release (ahead of a release of the OST)?

The sketchbook had some interesting ideas that felt more developped, especially the more mystical stuff, but take away the aforementioned 'loudness war' tracks in the score, and I think the score sounds much more interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. The OST will be 74 minutes long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2021
    A bit too long, but actually shorter than I expected. Looking forward to hearing it out of the movie. I will no doubt whittle it down to an even shorter and more succinct playlist (that is less heavy on the action stuff).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2021 edited
    74 minutes actually sounds good to me. Especially now that each composer dumps the full cue list on digital, Hans comes up with something that fits on a single disc! And I’m sure a score like this warrants such a length. Especially for a film over 2,5 hours, that means he took the time to create a listening experience and pick the best cues. I quite like this method of preserving the soundtrack listening experience and putting everything else on a standalone “sketchbook” edition.
  8. BobdH wrote
    74 minutes actually sounds good to me. Especially now that each composer dumps the full cue list on digital, Hans comes up with something that fits on a single disc! And I’m sure a score like this warrants such a length. Especially for a film over 2,5 hours, that means he took the time to create a listening experience and pick the best cues. I quite like this method of preserving the soundtrack listening experience and putting everything else on a standalone “sketchbook” edition.

And of course it leaves room for a Deluxe Edition, then a 2 CD edition, then a full score and then a 5th, 10 and 25th anniversary edition wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2021 edited
    And that’s fine with me! As long as there’s a curated and well put together listening experience that lets you listen to the score in the optimal way in the first place, I’m fine with other releases existing on a later moment when there’s a demand for it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2021
    Having listened to it a few times now, there is one recurring track that irritates me every time I listen -- "Burning Palms". It always makes me look at the iTunes player to see what it is. That's one cue that's going out, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. It's no "Burning Bush", that's for sure cheesy
  10. Not having seen the film, I was wondering whether Burning Palms is a title referring to plant life or body parts.

I just realized (especially in that context), same could be said for the Prince of Egypt cue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2021
    It's the music for a particular attack scene in the film.

I don't care particularly for "Premonitions" either.

I think ultimately I want to weed it down a bit, to be the moody piece I want.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2021
    I'm pleasantly surprised by his new Bond score - a very enjoyable listening experience.

I'm not an expert at all, but it feels like such a 'classic' Bond score - and yes, I did notice those references to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. But also sounds like some Batman Begins snuck in there. dizzy
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  11. It's a good Bond score.

Not sure what else I've expected, but I thought maybe he'd go a little more nuts with it.

David Arnold's Bond scores - especially The World Is Not Enough - are still my favourites. His action stuff just grabs your ears and doesn't let go until you're a wasted mess.
  12. I liked every time he went for the John Barry sound, and he did that very well. But after the Cuba Chase cue it got kind of dull to me. There was a lot less of that classic James Bond sound and a lot more standard RCP actiony stuff until the last cue, which was one of the most dramatic things I've heard in a Bond score.