• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013 edited
    biggrin

Maybe I should just bring a dictaphone to the next MT get-together and, after a few ports, let you go on unhibited and unedited?

(actually, come to think of it, that's not a bad idea...the MT get-together podcast, I mean).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013
    This is a really great concept, Thor. I hope there will be an app that I can download on my Iphone eventually!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    markrayen wrote
    This is a really great concept, Thor. I hope there will be an app that I can download on my Iphone eventually!

Thanks, Mark. I haven't thought about apps, actually, but the cast is playable on all iPhones. However, it can only be streamed, not downloaded. If I get someone to develop an app that can take this into consideration, I'll be sure to make one! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    An app has definate advantages, and I don't think it's that hard to do. I even looked at some "do it yourself" app tutorials on youtube a while back... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    Episode # 06: Horror! Friday 13th Special

Back to Norwegian -- an episode of listenerfriendly horror music in celebration of Friday the 13th.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … 3-spesial/

PLAYLIST:

HELLRAISER (Christopher Young)
    SLEEPY HOLLOW (Danny Elfman)
    PET SEMATARY (Elliot Goldenthal) -- ok, maybe that one is not so listenerfriendly
    THE OMEN (Jerry Goldsmith)
    THE FURY (John Williams)
    VAMP (Jonathan Elias)
    MIMIC (Marco Beltrami)
    SCREAM (Marco Beltrami)
    NEAR DARK (Tangerine Dream)
    THE NINTH GATE (Wojciech Kilar)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Episode # 06: Horror! Friday 13th Special

Back to Norwegian -- an episode of listenerfriendly horror music in celebration of Friday the 13th.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … 3-spesial/

PLAYLIST:

HELLRAISER (Christopher Young)
    SLEEPY HOLLOW (Danny Elfman)
    PET SEMATARY (Elliot Goldenthal) -- ok, maybe that one is not so listenerfriendly
    THE OMEN (Jerry Goldsmith)
    THE FURY (John Williams)
    VAMP (Jonathan Elias)
    MIMIC (Marco Beltrami)
    SCREAM (Marco Beltrami)
    NEAR DARK (Tangerine Dream)
    THE NINTH GATE (Wojciech Kilar)

I would have chosen differently so that James Bernard's Dracula theme is included as well as some Hans Salter but it is your show.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013 edited
    Yeah, I'm well aware that there are lots of stuff missing. I basically just picked out some personal favourites that were more romantic in nature than 'horrific', and didn't have any intention to be 'historically representative' in this one.

I also left out Bernard Herrmann, John Carpenter, Waxman's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and oh-so-many others.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I always thought Pet Sematary was a good score wasted on a shite film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Wasn't it you who said that Pet Sematary was one of the most scary scores you ever heard?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Wasn't it you who said that Pet Sematary was one of the most scary scores you ever heard?

I said that, I think (in fact, that's one of the reasons I included it in the episode, even though it goes against the more romantic darkness of the other cues). I haven't seen the film in AGES, so I can't comment on that. All I know is that the score freaks me out every time I put it on (which isn't often).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013
    I like the personal approach. If personality and historical consensus has to be aligned and perfectly matched, you might end up with something terribly dull!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013
    True!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013 edited
    Episode # 07: James Newton Howard

The best of JNH, primarily in the 90s and 2000s, including clips from an interview we did with him last year!

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … on-howard/

PLAYLIST:

"Main Titles" from GRAND CANYON
    "Theme" from THE FUGITIVE
    "Venice" from FALLING DOWN
    "Main Titles" from THE SAINT OF FORT WASHINGTON
    "Main Theme" from RESTORATION
    "The Wagon Chase" from WYATT EARP
    "Swimming" from WATERWORLD
    "The Egg Travels" from DINOSAUR
    "It Is All That I Can Give You" from THE VILLAGE
    "The Tail" from AFTER EARTH
    "The Crystal Chamber" from ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE
    "Tarawa" from SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013
    Nice play list cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013 edited
    Episode # 08: James Horner in Vienna (2nd International Edition)

Includes interviews with Horner, conductor/composer David Newman and concert producer Sandra Tomek. We also play many of the ACTUAL cues from the concert, the concert recordings. This is a must-listen, IMO!

AND it's in English.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

PLAYLIST:

BRAVEHEART (concert recording)
    LEGENDS OF THE FALL (concert recording)
    STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN (concert recording)
    ALIENS (soundtrack recording)
    THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS (soundtrack recording)
    TITANIC suite (concert recording)
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Who is "we"? Christian Clemmensen and Erik are doing that, too. Are you guys trying to suggest there is a big agency behind your site?
    wink

Besides: Awsome programme, definitely going to liste to it!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013
    Ha, ha....yeah, I admit it -- 'we' definitely makes my whole dog-and-pony routine sound a bit more 'corporate'-like than what it is.

Thanks for the comment!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thank you for sharing, that was awesome!! Those concert performances sound amazing!

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013 edited
    Incredible, Thor. Thanks for doing this. I'm listening to the concert recording of Braveheart right now. It is LOVELY.

EDIT: Finished the show. Man, Thor, I'm envious. To sit down with James Horner would be so crazy. Not in my wildest dreams to I think that would ever happen to me. And if happened to you! That's so cool. I loved hearing the interview and live performances. Great show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013 edited
    Episode # 09: Ridley Scott

In this Ridley Scott special, we go through each and every one of his films to showcase the music within.

It's in Norwegian.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … ley-scott/

PLAYLIST:

"Theme" from THE DUELLISTS
    "Breakaway" from ALIEN
    "Main Titles" from BLADE RUNNER
    "My True Love's Eyes / The Cottage" from LEGEND
    "Nick and Masa" from BLACK RAIN
    "Thelma & Louise / End Credits" from THELMA & LOUISE
    "The Monastery of La Rabida" from 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE
    "Galapagos" from WHITE SQUALL
    "Training Montage" from G.I. JANE
    "Elysium" from GLADIATOR
    "Avarice" from HANNIBAL
    "Gortoz a Ran" from BLACK HAWK DOWN
    "Ticks and Twitches" from MATCHSTICK MEN
    "Light of Life (Ibellin Reprise" from KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
    "France" from A GOOD YEAR
    "Frank Lucas" from AMERICAN GANGSTER
    "White Whale" from BODY OF LIES
    "Fate Has Smiled Upon Us" from ROBIN HOOD
    "Life" from PROMETHEUS
    "Opening Titles" from THE COUNSELOR
    I am extremely serious.
  4. That playlist reads gorgeous, Thor. I can see that you have discarded the Streitenfeld material from "Prometheus" altogether in favour of that great "Live" theme composed by Gregson-Williams. I wish he had done the whole score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
    I agree! And I don't even like HGW for the most part.

Keen eyes may notice that I'm missing SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME (1987), but that's simply because I couldn't find a soundtrack release of Kamen's score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No John Barry Thor??? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

He, he....yeah, right. Did BOY AND A BICYCLE have original Barry music or did they reuse/get permission to use some of his existing music? I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to check.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

He, he....yeah, right. Did BOY AND A BICYCLE have original Barry music or did they reuse/get permission to use some of his existing music? I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to check.

Yikes! You've put me on the spot Thor. ( strains grey matter > crazy ) I think I remember it being an existing track that Barry re-recorded for Scott's little film. They only worked together once more for the 1992 Kodak / Barcelona Olympics commercial. I was told by someone "in the know" that JB and RS got on very well together, I think it's a shame a proper collaboration never happened.
  5. He was reportedly called for 1492, voiced his interest... and never got called back.

Boy and a Bicycle was a re-recorded previous piece. They were very good friends. I loved that little bit in Hans' recollection when he said that Ridley would sneak with him into Barry's recording sessions. Though my favourite of the John Barry anecdotes was the one you told about him turning the page around for David Arnold who looked at the sheet music upside down in total awe biggrin .

I wonder how would Scott and Barry go along on a proper film score, I mean, when he got to filming features, Ridley preferred a very atmospheric approach, if you are looking for a "pure Ridley Scott" piece of music, listen to the film version of Alien's main title, it's a very atmospheric piece and while the original piece as envisioned by Goldsmith is totally beautiful and a masterpiece of its own, I'd dare to say it wouldn't work well in the film, because it's too romantic for something that had to establish a rather oppressive mood. I wonder how radically atmospheric Barry could get. I know he did write a slightly Vangelis-like score for that legal thriller in the 80s whose name I forgot (didn't it star Don Johnson? I saw quite a lot of these and I forgot which one it was, but I did hear it).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013 edited
    The thriller you're talking about is JAGGED EDGE starring Jeff Bridges and Glen Close, a fully synth score that was very textural bookended with a theme on synth augmented by piano and flute.

It's the only JB score I don't have on CD ( missed out due to being out of the country ) though I do have the old vinyl release.

JAGGED EDGE
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I could certainly picture Barry doing something like THE DUELLISTS. Howard Blake's gorgeous score (and theme) is quite "Barryesque" in parts.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I could certainly picture Barry doing something like THE DUELLISTS. Howard Blake's gorgeous score (and theme) is quite "Barryesque" in parts.

He'd have been brilliant on 1492 ( though I love Vangelis score )

Someone To Watch Over Me would have been perfect for Barry.
  6. Funny, if I love a score and like a (somewhat flawed) film as "1492", I have a hard time imagening it with another score.

V.