• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    That playlist reads gorgeous, Thor. I can see that you have discarded the Streitenfeld material from "Prometheus" altogether in favour of that great "Live" theme composed by Gregson-Williams. I wish he had done the whole score.

Volker

I don't. I'm in the minority but I like what Streitenfeld did. Probabaly the only thing that actually worked in that shitty film. I thought John Williams' music from The River ... errrr... I mean, Gregson-Williams "Life" theme was over used in the movie.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. It was. I have to check "The River". I have not listened to that score in ages. What the "Live" theme does remind me of is the "Crypton" theme from "Superman".

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013 edited
    Episode # 10: The Great Fantasy Adventure Episode (3rd International Edition)

With THE HOBBIT right around the corner, we give you this splendid hour of superb fantasy and adventure film music.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

PLAYLIST:

"The White Tree" from LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (Howard Shore)
    "Prologue and Main Titles" from CONAN: THE BARBARIAN (Basil Poledouris)
    "A Window to the Past" from HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (John Williams)
    "Presenting the Hook" from HOOK (John Williams)
    "Slave Children's Crusade" from INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (John Williams)
    "Building the Deathcoaster" from ARMY OF DARKNESS (Joseph LoDuca)
    "Aslan's Theme" from THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - TV SERIES (Geoffrey Burgon)
    "The Painting" from THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER (David Arnold)
    "Willow's Theme" from WILLOW (James Horner)
    "Ivory Tower" from THE NEVERENDING STORY (Giorgio Moroder)
    "Main Theme (Reprise)" from THE FORBIDDEN WARRIOR (Mike Verta)
    "Main Theme" from RAGNAROK (Magnus Beite)

(this is a very "Erik Woods" episode)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    Thor wrote

Yeah... not quite... but close. wink You're getting better, Padawan, but you have much to learn.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eh??? No Ladyhawke?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Eh??? No Ladyhawke?

Oops! shame
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013 edited
    Great programming again, Thor. A lot of the modern scores are relatively unexplored to me, however popular, so it's useful to be reminded of how much great film music has been composed even over the last couple decades. Perhaps another program for fantasy music pre-1980s?smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013 edited
    Thanks, Mark.

Absolutely. WIZARD OF OZ, for example. I wonder if that is the earliest "fantasy" film?

Also, I have many things planned for Golden Age material beyond that genre.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Absolutely. WIZARD OF OZ, for example. I wonder if that is the earliest "fantasy" film?

Not even close.
    Fantasy and fairytale films were shot by Meliés and others even in the late 1890s and early 1900s.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Not even close.
    Fantasy and fairytale films were shot by Meliés and others even in the late 1890s and early 1900s.

Well, yeah, I guess you could call Meliés' films fantasy in a way -- although not in the contemporary sense of the word.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Is The Wizard Of Oz contemporary? smile

And even if you wouldn't count Meliés (but I can't for the life of me see how you couldn't! He made films including gods, mermaids and dragons!), there are stil dozens of fantasy films in the twenties and thirties to precede The Wizard Of Oz, like the magnificent 1924 version of The Thief of Bagdad, the 1915 version of Alice In Wonderland, The Golem from 1920, 1935's A Midsummer Night's Dream, and even Snow White from 1937 to name but a few!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, many great ones in the 'expanded' definition of fantasy. It's a genre that is somewhat difficult to define (not to mention delineate from adventure and other things).

I wonder if they called Tolkien's literature 'fantasy' at the time, or if that was a term applied to it later on. Perhaps you Tolkien experts can enlighten me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah... not quite... but close. wink You're getting better, Padawan, but you have much to learn.

-Erik-

beer biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Episode # 11: Christmas Film Music

Get in the right Christmas mood with our brand-new episode! Some great classics as well as lesser known material.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … ilmmusikk/

PLAYLIST:

"Home Alone" and "Star of Bethlehem" from HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)
    "Prelude & Threadneedle Street" from A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Franz Waxman)
    "Main Title" from A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Alan Silvestri)
    "Walking in the Air" from THE SNOWMAN (Howard Blake)
    "Every Christmas Eve - Instrumental" from SANTA CLAUS: THE MOVIE (Henry Mancini)
    "Star of Bethlehem" and "Adoration of the Magicians" from BEN HUR (Miklos Rozsa)
    "Christmas Vacation" from NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION (Barry Mann & Cynthia Weill)
    "Main Title" from MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (Bruce Broughton)
    "The Christmas Wine" from LION IN WINTER (John Barry) -- RIP, Peter O'Toole
    "Suite" from SCROOGED (Danny Elfman)

Plus a special greeting from Mr. Elfman himself!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And a special notice to Timmer -- did you see that I included a John Barry piece there? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  2. There is a Christmas song there as well, I forgot the title. And of course the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service would count as well wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    And a special notice to Timmer -- did you see that I included a John Barry piece there? wink

cool beer A beautiful choral piece it is too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a Christmas song there as well, I forgot the title. And of course the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service would count as well wink

I really like Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown from OHMSS but I think I'm quite alone in that. Even most Barry fans hate it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh yes Thor, a very appropriate track too considering the film contains one of Peter O'Toole's finest performances.
  3. Of course I know how Christman trees are grown. The region I live in supplies halve the Republic with these. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a Christmas song there as well, I forgot the title. And of course the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service would count as well wink

I really like Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown from OHMSS but I think I'm quite alone in that. Even most Barry fans hate it.

It's a great song, just doesn't fit the flow of the album for me smile . But it IS lovely.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not even sure I've heard that song, but it's been a gazillion years since I saw the film. I'll go for the easy Youtube solution.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013 edited
    Here you go Thor....

CHRISTMAS TREES ...obviously mimed as it's the original track

As Pawel mentioned, it doesn't fit the flow of the album but in the film it was source music anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    He, he...I see, thanks. A bit too 'cuddly-wuddly' for my taste, I must admit.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    Really enjoy Broughton on Miracle on 34th St. While I prefer the older film from the late 40's I like his score over Cyril Mockridge's.

Tpm
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013 edited
    Thor, I see I didn't give feedback on your webcast yet! Ouch.

Good shows (I heard all the English ones and a few Norwegian), although I think this last one features music I don't care much about, like the Christmas Carol scores or other very Christmassy films. Never liked them much. I especially liked the Women in film music and your Horner episode. smile

I think you should do a show about your 'religious sound' you so often talk about. Could be interesting!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    Thanks for the comments, Bregt! And that you took the time to listen. The exposure of these shows is very sluggish, which reduces my motivation somewhat (I don't have the money or apparatus to do much in terms of PR). But I'll try to be patient.

The Christmas episode is more 'folksy', I guess -- an episode that regular folks can listen to while they bake cakes or wash the house or whatever. Although I personally love that sound myself, and know that several other film scores fans do too.

And yes, an episode of the religious sound is DEFINITELY forthcoming!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    WELL now, that should be a feast of recognition (what with me having based my own That Religious Sound playlist for roughly 99.4% on your original one! smile ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I found you have to have patience with the internet.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Patience, shmacience!
    These are the days of instant gratification.

I want to order Mongolian Yak butter chocolate online, and want it delivered TOMORROW!