• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2015 edited
    Cool interview!

I wonder if Moroder knew that Vangelis was Alan Parker's first choice of composer to score Midnight Express? Before the studio asked Parker to talk with Moroder for some reason and the rest is history, but I still wonder why Vangelis didn't do it seeing he was Parker's initial choice and why the studio asked him to speak with Moroder.

Maybe they thought Vangelis wouldn't be a good fit for that film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2015
    Washu wrote
    Cool interview!

I wonder if Moroder knew that Vangelis was Alan Parker's first choice of composer to score Midnight Express? Before the studio asked Parker to talk with Moroder for some reason and the rest is history, but I still wonder why Vangelis didn't do it seeing he was Parker's initial choice and why the studio asked him to speak with Moroder.

Maybe they thought Vangelis wouldn't be a good fit for that film?

Thanks for the feedback!

I do seem to vaguely recall that story, yes. Does anyone know any details about this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Here - http://www.rtbf.be/culture/cinema/reali … id=9148311

Alan Parker also mentions John Williams.

Here is my Google translation of it:

It was the music that you have in mind while writing the film? Or rather an elaborate music after filming?

Alan Parker: That is an interesting question. In "Midnight Express" is Giorgio Moroder, who wrote the music. Initially, it was Vangelis was supposed to. But the studio suggested I speak with Giorgio, and I told myself that it was worth trying. Finally, it was a fantastic experience. He made the movie even better than I imagined. But you never know in advance what we will find in the end. With Giorgio Moroder, I knew it would automatically electronic music. But for example for Angela's Ashes, I worked with composer John Williams. This man is really fantastic. You never know what he will propose before hearing the orchestra play.

And you could not tell John Williams what you thought?

Alan Parker: No, not really. It's a great man, but very humble. He always asks if the music is appropriate. I do not want to be presumptuous, but I knew what I wanted for my film, and he knew it.

Maybe the studio preferred Moroder to score it because he was more known and a much bigger name(?) This was before Chariots of Fire after all (and before Vangelis most popular albums and work in general I think it is safe to say), and I am also pretty sure that Moroder already had some significant "disco fame" at that time? Maybe you have a better guess? Maybe it was something completely different. I guess we'll never know for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interesting, thanks!

Moroder said in my interview that Parker was already familiar with his disco stuff, and that he wanted the main theme ("Chase") to be in the style of "I Feel Love", and the similarites are fairly obvious. But this could be something that happened AFTER Moroder was hired, not an incentive to get Moroder. At least not from Parker's initiative.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Well, Cosmos 1980 and Chariots of Fire 1981 let Vangelis to international stardom and Blade Runner 1982 confirmed that status.
    At least in Europe he was a known artist before that. His work with Aphrodite's Child and Demis Roussos as well as his own albums since circa 1973 made his name with electronica and progressive rock audiences.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015
    Episode # 38: Star Wars Special!

I get together with composer Eirik Myhr and fellow Williams- and Star Wars-enthusiast Nils Holt Hanssen to speak about the music for all seven films -- and then some. It's in Norwegian.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … s-spesial/

PLAYLIST:

Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) — «Ben’s Death/TIE Fighter Attack» — John Williams
    Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) — «The Asteroid Field» — John Williams
    Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) — «The Forest Battle» — John Williams
    Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) — «Watto’s Deal/Schmi and Qui Gon Talk» — John Williams
    Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) — «Zam the Assasin and the Chase Through Coruscant» — John Williams
    Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) — «Padmé’s Ruminations» — John Williams
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) — «Landing on Teth» — Kevin Kiner
    Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985) — «The Set-up/Terak’s Theme» — Peter Bernstein
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011) — «Coruscant, the Capital» — Mark Griskey et.al.
    Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (1996) — «Beggar’s Canyon Chase» — Joel McNeely
    Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) — «The Scavenger» — John Williams
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016 edited
    Episode # 39: The 10 Best Scores of 2015 (13th International Edition)

I sum up the year with my top 10 favourites of the year in this English-language episode.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

PLAYLIST:

No, not yet. I want people to listen first. I'll publish it later on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016
    Episode # 40: The Norwegian Film Music Year 2015

I sum up the year 2015 in film music terms, with a selection from 19 Norwegian film scores -- not available for listening elsewhere. It's in Norwegian.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … aret-2015/

PLAYLIST:

Bølgen — «It’s Coming» — Magnus Beite
    Svenskjævel — «Ida leser brev fra Dino» — Stein Berge Svendsen
    Staying Alive — «Marianne’s Waltz» — Ola Kvernberg
    Dryads: Girls Don’t Cry — «Calling Anette» — Marius Christiansen
    Å vende tilbake — «Åpning» — Magnus Murel
    Karsten og Petra på safari — «Løvenes gjenforening» — Lars Kilevold
    Kvinner i for store herreskjorter — «Dante på taket» — Kåre Vestrheim
    Knutsen og Ludvigsen og den fæle Rasputin — «Grevlingenes heltetema» — Kåre Vestrheim
    Villmark 2 — «Old Photos» — Roy Westad og Trond Bjerknes
    Dirk Ohm: Illusjonisten som forsvant — «Maria theme» — Nicholas Sillitoe
    Pøbler — «The End» — Lars Fredrik Frøislie & Ketil Einarsen
    Louder Than Bombs — «Walking Melanie» — Ola Fløttum
    Hevn — «Hevn Suite» (excerpt) — Michael White
    Doktor Proktors tidsbadekar — «Tidsreisen» — Ginge
    De nærmeste — «Ostinat 5» — Ginge
    Julekongen — «Full rustning» — Ginge
    Høst — «Smoke» — Jan Vardøen
    Ninas barn — «Engabo» — Gaute Storaas
    Solan og Ludvig: Herfra til Flåklypa — «Hang Glider Flight» — Knut Avenstroup Haugen
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    - not available for listening elsewhere.

Of course it's bloody available! I'm listening to it right now! angry
    (I just don't understand 90% of what you say :p )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha...what I meant was that a lot of the music has not, and will not be released anywhere in the foreseeable future. So the brief snippets in this program is a rare chance to sample this work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I see. Yeah, I noticed. There is some GOOD stuff in there!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    would like to hear it
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    would like to hear it

You can, if you will. Even if you don't understand my Norwegian, I only speak for, like, 3 minutes between each track -- so you can wait or fastforward through those bits in order to get to the music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i wouldn't care
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good! Let me know if you have any issues with the playback. It's been acting up unless you use Chrome or Explorer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016
    Yep. I can't get it to run on my default Firefox browser for love or money.
    But indeed works a charm on Chrome. Odd!

It's a very good show otherwise, and I greatly enjoyed it!
    ...and was saddened to find that indeed a great many of these tracks were not only never commercially released, but never even made it into...let's say, the "underground"circuit! So yeah, pretty unique material there, Thor. Very well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016 edited
    Yeah, I posted about the browser/playback issue in another thread (the 'website for noobs' one, I think), but I don't think anyone knows the answer. In December, Safari and Firefox users suddenly had problems with the playback of my episodes. Nobody knows why. I've tried a different player (JWPlayer), but that also has issues. And posted on the Wordpress forums (twice), but no response/support so far. Etc., etc. So just I gave up (temporarily). I really need a web person who will work for free and build this site together with me. I need my own, local Bregt! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    good luck Thor
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I insert my JW Player manually. This is the code I use.

[jwplayer config="Audio Only" file="http://www.yousite.com.mp3" html5_file="http://www.yousite.com.mp3"]NOW PLAYING: CREED | #20

Hopefully that will help you!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I insert my JW Player manually. This is the code I use.

[jwplayer config="Audio Only" file="http://www.yousite.com.mp3" html5_file="http://www.yousite.com.mp3"]NOW PLAYING: CREED | #20

Hopefully that will help you!

-Erik-

Thanks. Unfortunately, that didn't help (I obviously replaced the url in your post with the location of my own url).

You can see my addition of that code, as well as all other players and efforts on this hidden test page:

http://celluloidtunes.no/test
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That link sends me to http://celluloidtunes.no/testside/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's weird, it works for me. Try again now. I've added a password (the word 'test') to it:

http://celluloidtunes.no/test
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's bonkers. Ok... try adding the code in text mode. Then see what happens?

How are you adding audio to your site now?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, tried in 'text mode' too. Doesn't make a difference. At least with the other options, I get a player up there. With the 'code' thing you suggested, all I get is a video window with an error text.

What I do now, is to insert the audio/mp3 with Wordpress' own player. Never had a problem with that, untill December. Then all of a sudden Safari and Firefox users got problems, while it works smoothly in Chrome and Explorer.

As an alternative, I tried inserting with JWPlayer instead (the most recent version), but that didn't help. Had a long conversation with a JWPlayer representative here, that didn't lead anywhere:

https://support.jwplayer.com/customer/e … w=16069060

So I'm basically stuck with an incredibly complex problem that no one knows how to solve. Not JWPlayer, not Wordpress (well, they have no customer service, and no one responds to my forum requests), not internet-savvy friends, nothing I can find by googling around. Only Chrome & Explorer users are able to hear my radio show.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, tried in 'text mode' too. Doesn't make a difference. At least with the other options, I get a player up there. With the 'code' thing you suggested, all I get is a video window with an error text.

It was worth a shot. Honestly, I don't remember how I found that code. And I think I might have had to change some of the setting in the JW Player widget.

Thor wrote
    So I'm basically stuck with an incredibly complex problem that no one knows how to solve. Not JWPlayer, not Wordpress (well, they have no customer service, and no one responds to my forum requests), not internet-savvy friends, nothing I can find by googling around. Only Chrome & Explorer users are able to hear my radio show.

Could it be an issue with your theme?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I tried that too (I think I tried out 4-5 other themes), but alas that was not it.

I'm guessing there's something wrong inside the Wordpress programming; something that happened in December (perhaps an update that screwed up the mediaplayer for Safari and Firefox users). I think I could have it fixed by hiring an IT person, but I wouldn't be able to afford that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Weird... because I'm using EXACTLY the same player as you... at least I think I am minus the different looking skin. JW Player 6 Plugin for Wordpress Version 2.1.14, right?

I might be inserting code differently as well but my shows play on all browsers. Odd... I wish I could help you out. sad

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016 edited
    I used to have JWPlayer 6, yes, but the player didn't even show up with that -- just an empty space! So after talking with the JWPlayer representative above, I upgraded to JWPlayer 7, which is what I have now. At least it shows a player; but people have (mostly) the same issues streaming from that as from Wordpress' own player.

Thanks for your willingness to help, though! I realize the problem is deeply rooted.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Am I the only one for whom John Williams immediately comes to mind whenever I see JWPlayer? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016
    No, I've had it like that for years!
    I am extremely serious.