• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    I want to order Mongolian Yak butter chocolate online, and want it delivered TOMORROW!

applause
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    Martijn wrote

I want to order Mongolian Yak butter chocolate online, and want it delivered TOMORROW!

I predict painful regret.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    Nice podcast, as always! Long time since I heard "Star of Bethlehem", a wonderful experience in the midst of all the old standards I've been listening to a lot. Nothing beats the sound of a choir when it comes to Christmas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    Thanks. Indeed, I just adore choral music -- and looking back on the earlier episodes, I see now that such cues are very well represented, no matter the topic. Must be an unconscious thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2014 edited
    Episode # 12: The Ten Best Scores of 2013 (4th International Edition)

Here is our selection of the best scores of 2013. The episode is in English.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

PLAYLIST:

Nope. You'll have to play the episode to hear my selections. Maybe later on -- once the surprise element has passed -- I'll post in the playlist here.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Morricone was EXACTELY what I was thinking about when I listened to Erik's Stalingrad samples yesterday!

Nice show, btw, Thor! Very nice line-up.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2014
    Thanks. I'm not as ecstatic about STALINGRAD as many others here, but after some thought I decided that it deserved a place on the list after all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Morricone was EXACTELY what I was thinking about when I listened to Erik's Stalingrad samples yesterday!

My first thought was THE ILLUSTRATED MAN.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I'm not that familiar with that score, I'm afraid.

Very nice count down your are doing there, Erik!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Thanks. I'm not as ecstatic about STALINGRAD as many others here, but after some thought I decided that it deserved a place on the list after all.

And you're ecstatic about Pain and Gain wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it beat STALINGRAD by a few places.

Curiously, the more negativity I read about P&G, the more I love it! Must be the contrarian in me. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well you got it from all that C&C bashing all these years wink
  3. Thor wrote
    Well, I think EVERYTHING should be made into suites, even far more radical than this! The closer it gets to the parameters of classical music (or other music written for its own purpose) and the further it gets from the movie, the better!

But that's just me, of course.

Yeah! Just look what nightmarish thoughts Thor posted on FSM yesterday! freezing

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Actually...hmmm...i was thinking that the other day too; in scoremagacine awards, composers submit us suites of their works instead of single cues and i find that way more enjoyable as a listening experience. To put score suites on album away from the film would require proper music editing and album producing though; maybe re-orchestraring and re-performing some bits which are abruptly changing or cut in film, in order to make them more appealing as standalone listening experiences on CD. But with costs being cut down day by day and album producing gone out the window, instead many are throwing us the cheap trick of c&c crappy everything on disc, good luck ever see that suite thing happening! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    Well, I think EVERYTHING should be made into suites, even far more radical than this! The closer it gets to the parameters of classical music (or other music written for its own purpose) and the further it gets from the movie, the better!

But that's just me, of course.

Yeah! Just look what nightmarish thoughts Thor posted on FSM yesterday! freezing

wink Volker

That's nothing! My views are actually FAR more extreme than that as a whole. tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014 edited
    Episode # 13: Alan Silvestri

Highlights from the career of the legendary composer. The episode is in Norwegian.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … silvestri/

PLAYLIST:

"Robot Romp" from FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR
    "Main Titles" from THE DELTA FORCE
    "End Credits" from BACK TO THE FUTURE III
    "Main Titles" from PREDATOR 2
    "I'm Forrest...Forrest Gump" from FORREST GUMP
    "Cast Away" from CAST AWAY
    "Sandcastles" from THE MUMMY RETURNS
    "Night at the Museum" from NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM
    "Turkey Fish Follies" from THE CROODS
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Nice line-up! "Flight of the Navigator" is on my grail list.
    You should make a video instead of an audio-stream and provide subtitles. That way we could all learn Norwegian.

cheesy Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Alan Silvestri (YES)

He, he....

Yeah, Volker, I'd like to do a video cast at some point, although I need to research the logistics of that; as well as the rights issues involved. I would be screwed if I used Youtube, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    The European High Court has just ruled embedded links (including links to YouTube) are entirely legal.
    Would that help you, Thor?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    Well, it isn't the linking that is the problem. It's playing the full cues in such a program. Of course, there are a bunch of full film music cues on Youtube, but I always assumed that was because they went under the radar.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. YouTube pays money for that. If there is no such agreement, the videos get blocked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Episode # 14: The Norwegian Film Music Year 2013

We explore some of the Norwegian scores from last year in our latest episode. It's in Norwegian.

PLAYLIST:

"End Credits" from JAG ETTER VIND (Ola Kvernberg)
    "Planting the Flag" from PIONÉER (Air)
    "The Tough Guys Suite II" from DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (Eirik Myhr)
    "Main Titles" from GÅTEN RAGNAROK (Magnus Beite)
    "The World's Biggest Snowball" from SOLAN & LUDVIG - JUL I FLÅKLYPA (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)
    "Finale - Henrettelsen i Øiestad" from ANNE & ALET (Mark Rayen Candasamy)
    "Powerlines" from CRESTFALLEN (Henrik Skram)
    "Into Space" from KON-TIKI (Johan Söderqvist)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    I was familiar with most of the scores before-hand, but had not heard more than a few short excerpts from "Jul i Flåklypa" until today. We all know Knut can orchestrate, but what an exhilarating display from a guy who truly knows his craft! The musicians at the Norwegian Radio Orchestra did a remarkable job here, and are starting to get really serious about recording new Nordic film scores as a regular service. Lets hope other orchestras follow in a similar pattern, and offer reasonable package prices in order to really get the industry going.

While I deeply admire all of the composers on the list (except for "Air" which I know little of from before), I do have a particular fascination with Henrik Skram, who I feel has a unique and mature voice of his own that somehow sets his work apart. Pretty much anyone with the right combination of talent, interest, and experience can learn to orchestrate large orchestral pieces, but in my own experience few have the ability to evoke emotion in such a truly deep, introspective, and meaningful way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014 edited
    Well put, Mark.

I was also surprised by the high-quality performance of the FLÅKLYPA score (and obviously Knut's composition too, but that goes without saying). KORK has come a long way over the last few years in terms of film music, especially as far as timing and dynamics are concerned. It's a bit like the journey of the City of Prague Philharmonic, although they aren't quite there yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014 edited
    Episode # 15: Music from Epic Bible Films

Powerful movies, powerful scores! We explore some great scores throughout history based in some form on the Bible. It's in Norwegian.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … belfilmer/

PLAYLIST:

"Finale" from BEN HUR
    "A Different Drum" from THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST
    "Jesus of Nazareth" from THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD
    " Chariot Race" from THE PRINCE OF EGYPT
    "Prayer of Our Lord" from KING OF KINGS
    "Third Fanfare for Nero/Assyrian Dance" from QUO VADIS
    "The Red Sea" from THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
    "Dekalog VI - Part 4" from DEKALOG
    "Veni, Veni, Emmanuel" from THE NATIVITY STORY
    "Ressurection" from THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
    "Make Thee An Ark" from NOAH
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Psst ... It's "The Lord's Prayer".

That's a hell of a line-up, Thor! I won't miss that one.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Thanks.

On the ol' MGM rerecording which I used, it's called "Prayer of Our Lord" rather than "The Lord's Prayer".
    I am extremely serious.
  7. That odd. On the OST and on all my re-recordings it's "The Lord's Prayer".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    It's a concert version, track 11 from this CD:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/k … kings.html
    I am extremely serious.