• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008 edited
    Hello all

As some of you may recall from back in the SR-days, I'm playing this online filmquiz which is fiendishly difficult. There are no rules, so I'm free to ask help from anybody. This time I'm particularly stuck on the following three films. Any ideas?

http://www.hoegsberg.org/img/quiz/film01.jpg
    http://www.hoegsberg.org/img/quiz/film02.jpg
    http://www.hoegsberg.org/img/quiz/film03.jpg
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    Wish I could help Mogens.....I ain't got a clue?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    Mogens, I have no idea. But they are the kind of stills that should be recognized if someone has seen the film! Not a close-up or something...

I have no clue about the actors either, except that the guy in the first still looks like Jason Lee.

Good luck!
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    It's like the questions on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. If you know the answer, it's easy....if you don't, it may as well be quantum physics. confused

Good luck.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The guy on the left in pic 2 looks like David Niven?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Timmer wrote
    The guy on the left in pic 2 looks like David Niven?

I thought so, too, so I painstakingly went through all David Niven's black and white films. But it's not. It turned out to be a French film called Rififi. Go figure. BTW I also thought the guy in the middle with the cigarette looked a bit like Gregory Peck. Obviously it wasn't him either.

The third one turned out to be another French (well French-Georgian) film called 13 Tzameti.

I only need to figure out the first one - the dude who's thoroughly dead by spears - and it's annoying me senseless! I've tried SO many different search combinations on IMDb as well as on Google.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    I'm stumped in another round of the fiendishly difficult film quiz again. This time, I have four screenshots left to identify, and they're causing me a considerable amount of trouble.

If any of you guys have any idea where these four screenshots come from, I'd love to know!

http://www.hoegsberg.org/quiz/film01.jpg
    http://www.hoegsberg.org/quiz/film02.jpg
    http://www.hoegsberg.org/quiz/film03.jpg
    http://www.hoegsberg.org/quiz/film04.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    # 1 - Ice Station Zebra?

# 2 - City Slickers?

Only guesses I'm afraid mogens.
  1. Some more complete guesses:

#1 - Heroes of Telemark

#2 - Westworld

#4 - Johnny English
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are you sure it's films only?
    I'm getting the strangest idea that #1 is from the miniseries World War III...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    @ Timmer: Sorry, Timmer. None of your guesses proved right. City Slickers was a nice bid, though, and one I'd completely forgotten about!

@ Alan: Sorry, Alan. None of your guesses were right either. Regarding #1, it wouldn't be Heroes of Telemark, since the rifle is definitely an incarnation of the M16 which didn't go into production until sometime in the 1960's. Westworld was a nice bid, too, but unfortunately not correct either. As for #3, it wasn't Johnny English, but b/w-films are a bitch in this game, because you're absolutely right in thinking that it might be a flashback-sequence. For some strange reason, I'm pretty sure it actually is an older film.

@Martijn: I'm completely sure it's only films. But just to make sure, I did test World War III (which, by the way, was a completely cool guess - I remember seeing that one many years ago, and honestly thought I was the only person in the civilized world who remembered it smile )

As for #4, I managed to reason my way to it combined with the Power Search on IMDb. It's from a film called Following from 1998 which I haven't seen. It was the Barclaycard that "gave it away".

This round of the quiz is really tough, and I've got a feeling that a lot of people are stuck on these particular four films. But keep the guesses coming - and thanks for trying, guys! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mogens wrote
    honestly thought I was the only person in the civilized world who remembered it smile

biggrin
    Funnily enough so did I until quite recently, when more and more friends came out of the woodwork admitting not only to having seen it, but to be actively on the look-out for a DVD release (which, incidentally, doesn't exist yet).

Could #2 come from the recent No Country For Old Men?
    The hat seems too small, but the camera position and lighting seem similar, so maybe my recollection is off?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    I can't think of any more guesses right now Mogens, I'll have another go tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    I managed to get three of the four:

#2: From the Chuck Norris-film Lone Wolf McQauade (1983)
    #3: From the Dustin Hoffman-film Lenny (1974)
    #4: From a film called Following from 1998, directed by Christopher Nolan.

Now I only need to guess #1 to complete the quiz, and that one has me completely at my wits' ends!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    # 1 - Bear Island?

I have absolutely no idea and I'm clutching at straws. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010 edited
    HELP NEEDED smile wave

I've been asked to step in as quiz master at the pop quiz I occasionally attend, they have a rotation of about six people who regularly host this quiz on a Tuesday night and one of them is my good friend John who, due to late night work commitments can't do it next Tuesday so has asked me to replace him, I've agreed and, of course, I do get payment for this.

I'd like some help with my "beer break" round ( Halfway through the course of 60 questions I give out a sheet of questions for people to fill in while I have a break ), my idea is to simply match up rock/pop/music stars with films they have had parts in, for example...

FILMS:

Performance
    The Hunger
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Moonstruck

And now match the STARS:

Meatloaf
    Cher
    Mick Jagger
    David Bowie
    Michael Jackson

You'll notice that I've thrown in a 'red-herring', I intend to give a list of 25 films and 30 stars, 5 of whom are the red-herrings.

What I want from people here is a few more obscure ones so as it's not too easy.

Thanks in advance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's the ones I intend to use so far...

Dune - Sting
    Conan The Destroyer - Grace Jones
    Memphis Belle - Harry Connick Jr
    The Man With The Golden Arm - Frank Sinatra
    The Hunger - David Bowie
    Beat Girl - Adam Faith
    The Dirty Dozen - Telly Savales ( he had a # 1 in the UK with 'If' )
    Tank Girl - Ice-T
    Fight Club - Meatloaf
    Crossroads ( 1986 ) - Steve Vai
    Runaway - Gene Simmons
    Freejack - Mick Jagger
    Boogie Nights - Mark Wahlberg
    McVicer - Roger Daltrey
    Dogma - Alanis Morisette
    Starskey & Hutch - Snoop Dogg
    True Grit - Glen Campbell
    Carnal Knowledge - Art Garfunkel
    The Aviator - Gwen Stefani
    Point Break - Anthony Kiedis
    Escape From New York - Isaac Hayes
    Dream Girls - Beyonce Knowles
    The Cell - Jennifer Lopez
    Deep Blue Sea - LL Cool J
    Hellboy 2 - Luke Goss

And here's the 5 'red herrings'...

Matt Goss
    Sean Martin
    Britney Spears
    50 cent
    Sammy Davis Jr

Note: I forgot to mention that ALL the films will have release dates in brackets, for example, Britney Spears who also starred in a film called Crossroads ( 2002 ) will be one of the red-herrings, so people will have to pay attention to those dates not to get the wrong answer.
  2. Bent - Mick Jagger
    Hearts of Fire - Bob Dylan
    Dangerous Game - Madonna
    Freejack - Mick Jagger
    Face - Damon Albarn

And try this link: http://movies.sky.com/100-pop-stars-in-the-movies
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    Thanks Alan, that's very helpful beer
  3. Some really obvious ones that I'd forgotten about and some really obscure name/film combos too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One I seem to be missing is Gene Simmons in Runaway (1984).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    One I seem to be missing is Gene Simmons in Runaway (1984).

This one is in beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Here's the ones I intend to use so far...

Dune - Sting
    Conan The Destroyer - Grace Jones
    Memphis Belle - Harry Connick Jr
    The Man With The Golden Arm - Frank Sinatra
    The Hunger - David Bowie
    Beat Girl - Adam Faith
    The Dirty Dozen - Telly Savales ( he had a # 1 in the UK with 'If' )
    Tank Girl - Ice-T
    Fight Club - Meatloaf
    Crossroads ( 1986 ) - Steve Vai
    Runaway - Gene Simmons
    Freejack - Mick Jagger
    Boogie Nights - Mark Wahlberg
    McVicer - Roger Daltrey
    Dogma - Alanis Morisette
    Starskey & Hutch - Snoop Dogg
    True Grit - Glen Campbell
    Carnal Knowledge - Art Garfunkel
    The Aviator - Gwen Stefani
    Point Break - Anthony Kiedis
    Escape From New York - Isaac Hayes
    Dream Girls - Beyonce Knowles
    The Cell - Jennifer Lopez
    Deep Blue Sea - LL Cool J
    Hellboy 2 - Luke Goss

And here's the 5 'red herrings'...

Matt Goss
    Dean Martin
    Britney Spears
    50 cent
    Sammy Davis Jr

Note: I forgot to mention that ALL the films will have release dates in brackets, for example, Britney Spears who also starred in a film called Crossroads ( 2002 ) will be one of the red-herrings, so people will have to pay attention to those dates not to get the wrong answer.

Thank you Martijn, and particularly special thanks to Alan, above is my final list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I still have a load of questions to write so if anyone would like to help me supply some ( Thor? Martijn? Alan? and anyone else with a smattering of pop knowledge ) then please do.

With answers too, of course wink beer
  4. Pop knowledge? I have no pop knowledge whatsoever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just pop?
    No film connection?
    sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Pop knowledge? I have no pop knowledge whatsoever.

Surely you know something about The Smiths etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Just pop?
    No film connection?
    sad

Film connections is fine, just not too many with such a film loaded beer break round.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What kind of format do you need? TRUE/FALSE? Wrong One Out?
    What are the parameters?
    (And what defines "pop"? Can I for example pop in questions about Bing Crosby or Dean Martin?)
  5. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Pop knowledge? I have no pop knowledge whatsoever.

Surely you know something about The Smiths etc.

I was never too bothered by much "about" bands, etc. If I liked their music I listened to them.