• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    LAW & ORDER as in the tv show, or as in actual (I presume British) law and order?

I've changed that round for SERIAL KILLERS.

Q's on real life, TV or film serial killers welcome.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. To really shure what you are looking for. Something like

"Why are Gregorian Chants called Gregorian?"
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    To really shure what you are looking for. Something like

"Why are Gregorian Chants called Gregorian?"

biggrin

Please remember to give ME the answer, I'm posing the quiz, not answering it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Pope Gregor (+ 604)
    At this time the schola cantorum was founded in Rome and chants that were used in service were written down. Gregor is not the composer otheese chants. His actual relation to the the chants remain unclear. Maybe it's only because these things happened during his reign.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Badly! My team won! shame wink

I took it on because the regular quiz master is on holiday in the USA. Judging by the scores my quiz was quite a bit harder than the usual ones but it was very tight with only one and a half points seperating the top three places.

Here's the beer break round I did, I thought it was easy-peasy ( but I would wink ) but the highest scoring team in this round got only 6 with another team only getting 2 correct...

Give the first names of these classical composers...

1/ HOLST [spoiler]GUSTAV[/spoiler]
    2/ RAVEL [spoiler]MAURICE[/spoiler]
    3/ VAUGHAN WILLIAMS [spoiler]RALPH[/spoiler]
    4/ WAGNER [spoiler]RICHARD[/spoiler]
    5/ RACHMANINOV [spoiler]SERGEI[/spoiler]
    6/ MAHLER [spoiler]GUSTAV[/spoiler]
    7/ STRAUSS ( 1864 - 1949 ) [spoiler]RICHARD[/spoiler]
    8/ CHOPIN [spoiler]FREDERICK[/spoiler]
    9/ SHOSTAKOVITCH [spoiler]DIMITRI[/spoiler]
    10/ COPLAND [spoiler]AARON[/spoiler]

Just over a year later and I find myself once more asked to step into the breech, so it's me as Quizmaster this Thursday.

Amongst the rounds I'm doing is Music, Prehistoric life, Serial Killers and a random questions round.

Any help on any of these subjects would be helpful and seriously considered.

Thanks!

p.s. no film music questions, if I do any I'll think them up myself, thank you wink

bump
  3. Who composed a symphony about the alps? (Richard Strauss)

Who composed the melody that serves as the German National Anthem (Haydn)

Which country also used the melody of "God Safe the Queen" as its National Anthem? (Germany 1871-1918)

confused
  4. Name all music (with composers) that traditionally are played during the second half of "The Last Night of the Proms".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Who composed a symphony about the alps? (Richard Strauss)

Who composed the melody that serves as the German National Anthem (Haydn)

Which country also used the melody of "God Safe the Queen" as its National Anthem? (Germany 1871-1918)

confused

Thanks Volker, these are very helpful and I'm definitely using that 'God save the Queen' question ( very appropriate when you consider our Royal Family are German descended biggrin )

I don't want too many classical questions, it's got to be varied so pop, rock, jazz etc...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Take your pick of these:

Q: Which UK serial killer was the subject of a 2-part TV film called "Appropriate Adult"? A: Fred West

Q: Which 2 UK serial killers featured in a 2001 comic strip (subheaded "They Make Ladies Dead") published in Viz? A: Fred West & Harold Shipman
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Take your pick of these:

Q: Which UK serial killer was the subject of a 2-part TV film called "Appropriate Adult"? A: Fred West

Q: Which 2 UK serial killers featured in a 2001 comic strip (subheaded "They Make Ladies Dead") published in Viz? A: Fred West & Harold Shipman

:like: I don't want Fred West twice but will choose one of these beer
  5. I did think that having two Fred West questions would be too much. But whichever one you don't use you can keep for next time.

The other subjects are a bit vague. Have you not got anything more specific in mind for these topics?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Prehistoric life I could do with help on, I've a tendency to be too geeky and might alienate my audience.

So anything from pre-Dinosaurs to Dinosaurs to the age of mammals and early man is the criteria. I don't want any film related stuff in this category.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Early bird life too??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Serial Killers:
    [easy] What famous cinematic serial murderer was inspired by the shocking slaying of two elderly women by Ed Gein in Wisconsin in 1957?
    - answer: Norman Bates (Psycho)

[harder] There are (or have been) roughly as many female serial killers as there have been male ones, and their ways of working have been strikingly similar.
    - answer: utterly wrong: there have been far fewer female serial killers and they tend to prefer much less overt killing methods (poisoning, suffocating) then male serial killers do. Additionally female serial killers often either kill for material gain and/or personal relationships than male ones do (although newere studies show that this trend is bucking).

[harder] The phrase "serial killer" was first coined in the investigation into the 'Vampire Of Hannover' Fritz Haarmann, who raped and killed 24 young men between 1918 and 1924.
    - answer: incorrect. The phrase was not used until the mid-1970s, and usually attributed to FBI criminolgist Robert. K. Ressler. Before those days, no one really knew how to classify such murders and they were usually refered to as 'multiple homicide' or 'lust-murders').
    Note: Ressler refers to "serial homicide", the ACTUAL phrase "serial KILLER" was first used with regards to Ted Bundy in an 1980 book by Anne Rule.

[hard] Jeff Mudgett, a decendant of America's alleged 'first serial killer' H.H. Holmes, who murdered (at least) 28 people in his famous "Death Castle" in Chicago between 1893-1895*), has had samples of Holmes' handwriting compared to a letter from Jack the Ripper. Not only was the handwriting identified as identical by a handwriting expert, but a compuer analysis showed a 97.95% match.
    - answer: utterly true.
    However, as there are plenty of explanations for that (including the letter being false) any conclusions would be greatly premature. smile

*) Holmes' story is an incredibly eerie one: he built this huge hotel with corridors winding into dead walls, sliding panels, staircases leading to nowhere and hidden rooms, all with the purpose of murder in mind: he was able to gass (gas pipes having been run into several rooms), asphyxiate (in air tight sealed chambers), torch (!) and axe people to death, disposing of the bodies by hidden chutes and trapdoors to the cellar...
    He confessed to 28 murders, was convicted for nine, but it is very possible his actual victims numberd into three figures...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Other serial killer questions:

Q: Which modern British serial killer has the highest number of proven victims? A: Dennis Nilsen (15, 1978-83)

Q: Luis Garavito, has the highest proven number of victims, with 138. But, what is his nationality? A: Colombian
  7. When did modern men for the first time set foot on the British main isle? - Roughly 10.000 years ago.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Early bird life too??

What is Archaeopteryx?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you Martijn beer

I have one question left on my sheet out of 10 questions and I'm using your "serial Killer" phrase as my last question ( though I'll have to abbreviate it a bit....nothing worse than being asked to "CAN YOU REPEAT QUESTION TEN AGAIN PLEASE?" wink )

p.s. all of those would have been great TRUE/FALSE questions back in the day. Scarily I know ALL of them except the part about the 'Ripper' letter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Early bird life too??

What is Archaeopteryx?

Simple.

:like:

Used!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Other serial killer questions:

Q: Which modern British serial killer has the highest number of proven victims? A: Dennis Nilsen (15, 1978-83)

Q: Luis Garavito, has the highest proven number of victims, with 138. But, what is his nationality? A: Colombian

Thank you Alan. The Serial Killer round is full now but I'll keep your questions in my quiz folder ( it holds all my old quizzes and un-used questions )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Prehistoric life I could do with help on, I've a tendency to be too geeky and might alienate my audience.

Easy stuff then?

Biggest dino tooth

Answer: Tyrannosaur (22-30 cm) Giganotosaur comes close (20 cm), but no cigar.

Put in the right order kinda question? (This is the right order, btw)
    Cenozoic (65 million years ago - now)
    -Quaternary
    -Tertiary
    Mesozoic (248 million years ago - 65 million years ago)
    -Cretaceous
    -Jurassic
    -Triassic
    Paleozoic (550 million years ago - 248 million years ago)
    -Permian
    -Pennsylvanian,
    -Missisippian
    (Proterozoic)
    -Devonian
    -Silurian
    -Ordovician
    -Cambrian
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Early bird life too??

What is Archaeopteryx?

Maybe rephrase it so that Archaeopteryx is the answer? And a bonus point for anyone who can spell it!!

"What is early bird whose fossil is thought to indicate it as a link between feathered dinosaurs and modern birds?"
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Early bird life too??

What is Archaeopteryx?

Maybe rephrase it so that Archaeopteryx is the answer? And a bonus point for anyone who can spell it!!

"What is early bird whose fossil is thought to indicate it as a link between feathered dinosaurs and modern birds?"

Excelent! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Early bird life too??

What is Archaeopteryx?

Thanks Alan, that's the way to nail it. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Easy stuff then?

Biggest dino tooth

Answer: Tyrannosaur (22-30 cm) Giganotosaur comes close (20 cm), but no cigar.

Put in the right order kinda question? (This is the right order, btw)
    Cenozoic (65 million years ago - now)
    -Quaternary
    -Tertiary
    Mesozoic (248 million years ago - 65 million years ago)
    -Cretaceous
    -Jurassic
    -Triassic
    Paleozoic (550 million years ago - 248 million years ago)
    -Permian
    -Pennsylvanian,
    -Missisippian
    (Proterozoic)
    -Devonian
    -Silurian
    -Ordovician
    -Cambrian

I..... I didn't know T-Rex had the biggest Dino tooth? shame spin I'm using it.

I'm also using a far more simplified version of those periods by just asking people to put the Mesozoic periods in order starting from the earliest.

Thanks Martijn beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nice one, Timmer.
    How far down are you?
    How much more do you need in the categories (and how many back up questions)?
  11. Q: Which species of human were the first to use stone tools - Homo neanderthalensis, Homo erectus, Homo habilis? A: Homo habilis

Q: Modern humans arrived in Britain at least 25,000 years ago, before the end of the last glacial period. Because of the high levels of ice how much lower was the sea level than it is today? A: ~127 metres (417 feet) (maybe give a window either side of the right answer)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Badly! My team won! shame wink

I took it on because the regular quiz master is on holiday in the USA. Judging by the scores my quiz was quite a bit harder than the usual ones but it was very tight with only one and a half points seperating the top three places.

Here's the beer break round I did, I thought it was easy-peasy ( but I would wink ) but the highest scoring team in this round got only 6 with another team only getting 2 correct...

Give the first names of these classical composers...

1/ HOLST [spoiler]GUSTAV[/spoiler]
    2/ RAVEL [spoiler]MAURICE[/spoiler]
    3/ VAUGHAN WILLIAMS [spoiler]RALPH[/spoiler]
    4/ WAGNER [spoiler]RICHARD[/spoiler]
    5/ RACHMANINOV [spoiler]SERGEI[/spoiler]
    6/ MAHLER [spoiler]GUSTAV[/spoiler]
    7/ STRAUSS ( 1864 - 1949 ) [spoiler]RICHARD[/spoiler]
    8/ CHOPIN [spoiler]FREDERICK[/spoiler]
    9/ SHOSTAKOVITCH [spoiler]DIMITRI[/spoiler]
    10/ COPLAND [spoiler]AARON[/spoiler]

Just over a year later and I find myself once more asked to step into the breech, so it's me as Quizmaster this Thursday.

Amongst the rounds I'm doing is Music, Prehistoric life, Serial Killers and a random questions round.

Any help on any of these subjects would be helpful and seriously considered.

Thanks!

p.s. no film music questions, if I do any I'll think them up myself, thank you wink

bump

The classical composers would have gotten me 10 out of 10.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Nice one, Timmer.
    How far down are you?
    How much more do you need in the categories (and how many back up questions)?

Of the 5 rounds I'm doing...

Beer break round:- this is the round where I print off sheets for each team to fill out in their own time at the beginning of the quiz and give the answers at the end of the quiz, this one I've already completed, it's 20 questions on authors and is simply the title of a book with it's publishing date...

Example:-

NAME THE AUTHORS

Mrs Dalloway ( 1925 )
    Of Mice And Men (1937 )
    On The Road ( 1957 )
    Catch 22 ( 1961 )

...and on until the 20th question....

Doctor Sleep ( 2013 ) ...and I wonder how many will get the answer to that very famous author? wink

Anyway, I'm about a third of the way through, I've not done any of the 'random' round yet and will include some current events/news in that. Still plenty of room on the music round too.
  12. Doctor Sleep is Stephen King, isn't it? It's the sequel to The Shining?

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
    On the Road - no idea, actually!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website