• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Doctor Sleep is Stephen King, isn't it? It's the sequel to The Shining?

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
    On the Road - no idea, actually!

Beatnik poet/writer Jack Kerouac wink

And yes, Stephen King's The Shining sequel is correct.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Prehistoric life I could do with help on, I've a tendency to be too geeky and might alienate my audience.

Easy stuff then?

Biggest dino tooth

Answer: Tyrannosaur (22-30 cm) Giganotosaur comes close (20 cm), but no cigar.

I..... I didn't know T-Rex had the biggest Dino tooth? shame spin I'm using it.

You're using T-Rex teeth? dizzy wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited
    Anything that gives the quiz more bite! biggrin dino (<-- cry crazy )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Badly! My team won! shame wink

I took it on because the regular quiz master is on holiday in the USA. Judging by the scores my quiz was quite a bit harder than the usual ones but it was very tight with only one and a half points seperating the top three places.

Here's the beer break round I did, I thought it was easy-peasy ( but I would wink ) but the highest scoring team in this round got only 6 with another team only getting 2 correct...

Give the first names of these classical composers...

1/ HOLST [spoiler]GUSTAV[/spoiler]
    2/ RAVEL [spoiler]MAURICE[/spoiler]
    3/ VAUGHAN WILLIAMS [spoiler]RALPH[/spoiler]
    4/ WAGNER [spoiler]RICHARD[/spoiler]
    5/ RACHMANINOV [spoiler]SERGEI[/spoiler]
    6/ MAHLER [spoiler]GUSTAV[/spoiler]
    7/ STRAUSS ( 1864 - 1949 ) [spoiler]RICHARD[/spoiler]
    8/ CHOPIN [spoiler]FREDERICK[/spoiler]
    9/ SHOSTAKOVITCH [spoiler]DIMITRI[/spoiler]
    10/ COPLAND [spoiler]AARON[/spoiler]

Just over a year later and I find myself once more asked to step into the breech, so it's me as Quizmaster this Thursday.

Amongst the rounds I'm doing is Music, Prehistoric life, Serial Killers and a random questions round.

Any help on any of these subjects would be helpful and seriously considered.

Thanks!

p.s. no film music questions, if I do any I'll think them up myself, thank you wink

bump

Only Random and Music rounds to complete. Prehistoric Life is half done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013
    Hokay. Some more stuff:

Prehistoric life

What's the size/weight of the smallest mammal that ever lived?
    Answer: about 4 centimeters (including tail) and roughly 1.3 grams.
    It's the shrew-like Batodonoides Vanhouteni, that lived in the early Eocene (roughly 53 million years ago)

(You could probably put this into a multiple choice category. Y'know: a)10 centimeters
    B) between 5 and 10 c) below 5)

Music
    Who was the oldest artist ever to top the UK charts?
    Answer: Louis Armstrong, aged 66 years and 10 months, back in 1968, with What A Wonderful World.

What members of U2 aren't Irish?
    Answer: Adam Clayton was born in Oxfordshire, England, to English parents. The Edge (David Evans) was born in Barking, east London, to Welsh parents.

What year did MTV go live?
    Answer: 1981, the very first video on the channel was, of course, 'Video Killed The Radio Star'

What was the name of the airplane Buddy Holly died in?
    Answer: the "American Pie." (Yes, that's the reason for the name of the Don McLean song).

What was the title of the very first recorded song Jon Bon Jovi sang in?
    Answer: ‘R2-D2: We Wish You A Merry Christmas' for Meco's the Star Wars Christmas Album. He was only 17 at the time, and was billed as Jon Bongiovi.

Beethoven's Fifth features what brass instrument for the first time ever in a symphony?
    Answer: Trombones
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I guess you can manage Random yourself?
    I'll be happy to help, but I tend to get VERY random!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...or is this all too geeky, and are you looking more for questions like 'what was the real name of Spice Girl ''Sporty Spice''?' shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, that's fooking wonderful! I'll dabble it around a bit but you've given me quite a feast there! beer

I love the American Pie one, I didn't know that and I'm really surprised a question concerning that had never come-up those years I used to attend a pop quiz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I love the American Pie one, I didn't know that and I'm really surprised a question concerning that had never come-up those years I used to attend a pop quiz.

That made me think, and double check.
    Guess what?
    It's not true. Damn.

Sorry. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So to make up for that faux pas, here are some replacements (which I have verified and are absolutely correct!):

- Bryan Adams' seminal hit 'Summer Of 69' refers to the sexual position rather than the year.
    Answer: True, Adams would only have been 10 in 1969. He stated the song was about sex in a 2009 interview.
    (Note: co-writer Jim Valance denies this and still offers the year as the title inspiration.)

- What was John Lennon's inspiration for the lyrics to I Am The Walrus?
    Answer: To create the most confusing lyrics possible.
    The story is that Lennon received a letter from a pupil at Quarry Bank High School which he had attended. that an English teacher was making them analyse Beatles' lyrics. Lennon, amused that a teacher was putting so much effort into understanding the Beatles' lyrics, wrote the most confusing lyrics he could, borrowing some lines from a playground nursery rhyme he remembered from his youth and changing significant bits willy nilly. Remarked he, "Let the fuckers work that one out."

- What's the theme song of the famous basketball team The Harlem Globetrotters?
    Answer: It's the 1925 jazz song Sweet Georgia Brown.
    The lyrics are about a black hooker...

- What famous rock 'n' roll song was banned in 1964 on many US radio stations for alleged obscenity in its "real lyrics", but exonerated after a 31-month investigation by the FBI, who finally concluded they were "unable to interpret any of the wording in the record."?
    Answer: Louie Louie, in its most famous incarnation by The Kingsmen
    In a wonderful bout of irony drummer Lynn Easton later admitted that he yelled "Fuck" upon accidentally dropping a drumstick at 0:54 on the record".
    Nobody ever noticed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013 edited
    Thanks Martijn, excellent stuff. beer

Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

That made me think, and double check.
    Guess what?
    It's not true. Damn.

Sorry. angry

No worries, that's too good not to use, it has become a 50/50 is it true or false question. cool
  2. You could ask what was "The Day The Music Died" though smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013
    A big thank you to Alan, Martijn and Volker for all your help. beer

The quiz is complete and I'll let you know how it went later tonight.

Tim smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're welcome.
    Good luck! wave Hope people will be entertained!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Example:-

NAME THE AUTHORS

Mrs Dalloway ( 1925 )
    Of Mice And Men (1937 )
    On The Road ( 1957 )
    Catch 22 ( 1961 )

I only didn't know Mrs. Dalloway.
    But it stands to reason: I'm afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Drumroll.
    Exit stage left.
    Violently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh dear face-palm-mt
  3. Timmer wrote
    A big thank you to Alan, Martijn and Volker for all your help. beer

The quiz is complete and I'll let you know how it went later tonight.

Tim smile

I may slip in at the back of the quiz and win some prizes. Where's it at again? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

If you were serious you'd be more than welcome. ( though I'd have to change quite a few questions wink )