• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Turns out a new study shows a certain classical composer helps premature babies develop more quickly:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07 … -composer/

What in the world could account for this?

Oh, and in related news, a new study done by me shows playing "Man of Steel" for premature babies, causes sudden infant death syndrome.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013
    Doesn't seem like the best study, so i wouldn't give much credence to the results. Anyway, music is a kind of social interaction that's hardwired into us, so I wouldn't be surprised if it can have a calming effect on babies, the same way that reading stories to a baby will. Bach tends to keep the same tempo and volume, and is generally energetic, and perhaps that could help to explain why the effect is smaller for Bach than for Mozart.

Peter baby
  2. I bet out there in the web there's small gourps of Bach vs. Mozart classical fans, extolling how Hach rules and Mozart sucks, and how Mozart rules and Bach sucks, and today Mozart fans just got a one-up. ;-)

I suspect, though I've not done the kind of research to back this up, there's something about the tempo and sound of the music that affects the brain developing. Some kind of sound wave thing, perhaps. We've sceen science studies where a person can turn on a light switch across the room with alpha waves of the brain, and another study (I cant' recall the details to find this again) where they were developing a device you can wear on you head that sends signals to receptors in your brain that allows them to litterally reformat, kind of like a hard drive, so they can solve certain medical afflictions and Alzheimer's.

A longer, more comprehensive study, would be fascinating. Likewise I wonder what affect it would have on elderly with memory problems or serve Alzheimer's, maybe plays with earphones while they are sleeping.

On a funny note, one time I recall telling somebody I knew, after they said, "I think I'm getting Alzheimer's", "At least you think you do..." ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2013
    I think I find this hard to believe
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2013
    Me too. I think I need to consult my Bible.
  3. sdtom wrote
    I think I find this hard to believe

I find that hard to believe.
  4. I am just now in the process of ripping a set of CDs. I have obtained Wagner's "Ring des Nibelungen" (Karajan, Berlin Philharmonics 1969). Save for the orchestral highlights I am largely ignorant of the work. As a teacher of German literature, a film score lover, and a Tolkien fanboy, the "Ring" should come natural to me. Yet I am not really fond of music theatre in general, so it was so far a blind spot. I'll dive in this mammoth work in the next weeks.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.