• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. In September, and across TV and radio, the BBC will be celebrating music in film.

Highlights include:

Sound of Cinema: The Music that made the Movies, BBC Four's three-part television series presented by writer, composer and film music expert, Neil Brand.

Radio 3, meanwhile, will dedicate much of its schedule to the Sound of Cinema season. Highlights include:

- a broadcast on 13 September from the British Film Institute looking at some of the creepiest film scores

- live film music concerts from the BBC orchestras presented by film critic Mark Kermode

- an exclusive interview with John Williams on Composer of the Week

- interviews with actors including Tom Piggott-Smith, Olivia Williams, and with composers including Debbie Wiseman, Alex Heffes and Bernard Herrmann's widow, Norma Herrmann

BBC Four will broadcast this year's Film Music Prom, performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra

BBC Radio 2 - Mark Kermode will explore film music in Mark Kermode: The Soundtrack of my Life

BBC Radio 6 Music - actor Cillian Murphy and Bond film composer David Arnold discuss their favourite film music

BBC Radio 1 will examine the role of hip-hop in film scores

BBC Asian Network will explore the evolution of Bollywood film music in Men Behind the Music

http://www.classical-music.com/news/bbc … ema-season

I am sure there will be more information nearer the time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013
    Wow! What an excellent line up. I hope I get to see/hear most of these.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Many years ago I met a girl named Gina who went out with a mate of mine, the first time she came to my house she noticed all my soundtracks, she mentioned how it was a shame I'd never met her ex-boyfriend Mark as he was a massive film score fan.

Though it's been a long time since she and my mate split up I'm still friends with Gina but it was only recently that she told me the soundtrack fan ex-boyfriend was Mark Kermode, he was unknown to the public while she was with him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote

This will be the highlight for many people here, I suspect.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

This will be the highlight for many people here, I suspect.

Indubitably. One will be busting a cap in ones own, I am quite sure. Mother go thou forth and multiply.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013
    From The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ … sic-season
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2013
    First episode of The Sound of Cinema is on BBC-4 on Thursday, including interviews with MArtin Scorsese and Hans Zimmer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b45h4

The Big Score
    Episode 1 of 3
    DURATION: 1 HOUR
    In a series celebrating the art of the cinema soundtrack, Neil Brand explores the work of the great movie composers and demonstrates their techniques.

Neil begins by looking at how the classic orchestral film score emerged and why it's still going strong today. He traces how, in the 1930s, European-born composers such as Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold brought their Viennese training to play in stirring, romantic scores for Hollywood masterpieces like King Kong and The Adventures of Robin Hood. But it took a home-grown American talent, Bernard Herrmann, to bring a darker, more modern sound to some of cinema's finest films with his scores for Citizen Kane, Psycho and Taxi Driver.

Among those Neil meets are leading film-makers and composers who discuss their work, including Martin Scorsese and Hans Zimmer, composer of blockbusters like Gladiator and Inception.
  2. But it's on at the same time as The Guilty on ITV1.

(Oh the woes of a non-recording capability-enabled house!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2013 edited
    Surely you can catch up later on i-player Alan?

...or catch up with The Guilty on ITV + 1
  3. Dis gunna be good!

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. Timmer wrote
    Surely you can catch up later on i-player Alan?

...or catch up with The Guilty on ITV + 1

It's not the same though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    Yes it is, just an hour later though wink
  5. It's weird but seeing something when it is aired is somehow different fr seeing it later.

I can have a film on DVD that I can watch anytime but don't. But if it's on TV one night it turns into an event and I make time to watch it. Like I said, weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    I am the complete reverse. Apart from live sport, I don't watch anything at all when it airs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    Courtesy of Nick Haysom at FSM:

This is a day-by-day listing of what's been announced so far. I don't guarantee that it is complete but it should be reasonably comprehensive. Watch this space for updates. Some times are TBC. Radio 3 except where otherwise stated.

Thursday 12th September

2100 Sound of Cinema: the Music that Made the Movies BBC4
    Presented by Neil Brand
    Pt 1: The Big Score
    (followed by THE IPCRESS FILE)

Friday 13th September

0630 Breakfast
    Petroc Trelawny. Incl the A to Z of film music

1630 In Tune: Sound of Cinema
    Presented live from the National Film Theatre by Sean Rafferty
    Horror scores. Guests include Neil Brand and Norma Herrmann

1930 The Film Music Prom BBC4
    (followed by a repeat of The Joy of Easy Listening)

2100 Gideon Coe 6 Music
    A soundtracks special

Saturday 14th September

0700 Breakfast: Martin Handley - Sound of Cinema

1000 Edith Bowman 6 Music
    Guest: David Arnold

1300 Early Music Show: Early Music in film

1500 Saturday Classics
    Christopher Lee talks about the music that has inspired him

1700 Jazz Record Requests
    Jazz film scores

2315 Hear & Now
    Robert Worby explores the relationship between film, sound and contemporary music. He talks to sound designer Walter Much about film editing and musique concrete.

Sunday 15th September

0700 Breakfast: Martin Handley - Sound of Cinema

0700 Mary Anne Hobbs 6 Music
    Hans Zimmer

1200 David Arnold 6 Music

1200 Private Passions
    Film critic Philip French discusses film music with Michael Berkeley

1300 Early Music Show: The Harpsichord and Film
    The story of the harpsichord in film music since the 1950s.

1400 Sunday Concert: BBC SSO at the Movies
    Concert (John Williams et al)

1600 Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service 6 Music
    Incl sound effects in the movies

1800 Tom Robinson 6 Music
    The Ultimate Soundtrack playlist

1800 Words & Music
    A selection of poetry, prose and music inspired by the movies

2100 KING KONG BBC 4

Monday 16th September

0000 Don Letts 6 Music
    Favourite movie moments

0630 Breakfast: Sara Mohr-Pietsch - Sound of Cinema

0900 Essential Classics
    Including Neil Brand analysing scores

1200 Composer of the Week: Golden Age of Hollywood
    Donald Macleod explores the soundtrack of Hollywood's Golden Age, in the company of conductor and film music expert John Wilson
    1: Music for the Talkies

1630 In Tune
    Live: Sean Rafferty talks to Alan Parker

1930 Radio 3 Live in Concert
    Europe on film Pt 1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/events/1587

2015 Twenty Minutes
    Tom Service meets James Horner

2245 The Essay
    British films 1946-1956

2300 Jazz on 3
    Jazz and film

Tuesday 17th September

0630 Breakfast - Sound of Cinema
    Incl the A to Z of film music

0900 Essential Classics

1630 In Tune

BBC Philharmonic
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/events/1612

2245 The Essay
    British films 1946-1956

Wednesday 18th September

0900 Essential Classics

1630 In Tune

America at the Movies. BBC NOW
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/events/1488

2245 The Essay
    British films 1946-1956

Thursday 19th September

0900 Essential Classics

1630 In Tune

2100 Sound of Cinema: the Music that Made the Movies BBC 4
    Presented by Neil Brand
    Pt 2: Pop Goes the Soundtrack
    (followed by MEAN STREETS)

2200 Night Waves: The Innocents

2245 The Essay
    British films 1946-1956

Friday 20th September

0900 Essential Classics

1630 In Tune

2245 The Essay British films 1946-1956

Saturday 21st September

1500 Saturday Classics
    Robert Ziegler

Between the Ears
    FORBIDDEN PLANET recreated by the Radiophonic Workshop

Sunday 22nd September

2200 World Routes
    Lopa Kothari meets AR Rahman

CITIZEN KANE BBC4

Monday 23rd September

2245 The Essay
    Powell & Pressburger

Tuesday 24th September

2245 The Essay
    Powell & Pressburger

Wednesday 25th September

2245 The Essay
    Powell & Pressburger

Thursday 26th September

2100 Sound of Cinema: the Music that Made the Movies BBC4
    Presented by Neil Brand
    Pt 3: New Frontiers
    (followed by BLADE RUNNER)

2245 The Essay
    Powell & Pressburger

Friday 27th September

2245 The Essay
    Powell & Pressburger

Saturday 28th September

1500 Saturday Classics
    Terence Stamp

Sunday 29th September

The Story of Hip Hop in the Movies Radio 1Xtra

Saturday 5th October
    1500 Saturday Classics
    Tom Courtenay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01fs3cy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    Wow, that's impressive.

NRK -- our own BBC -- would never do something as extensive as that. Lucky bastards!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    I thought the first episode of Sound of Cinema was brilliant. Neil Brand - who I'd never heard of! - was incredibly perceptive and intelligent in his analysis. The programme was only an hour long but he seemed to bring a surprising depth to what essentially amounted to a history of the orchestral film score.

After a brief introduction when he looked at John Barry's The Ipcress File, he went through and analysed King Kong (Steiner), The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold), Double Indemnity (Rozsa), Citizen Kane, Vertigo and Taxi Driver (Herrmann) and Gladiator and Inception (Zimmer), with a very brief look at Star Wars (Williams) to bridge the chronological gap. His explanation of how Rozsa and Herrmann in particular subconsciously manipulated the audience was brilliant.
  6. Yes, it was a great first part of this documentary. I only caught up with it on iPlayer this afternoon - glad I did.

And, as you James, I'd never heard of Neil Brand up to this programme. And looking through his imdb.com list, I am not surprised. But he seems to be quite involved with silent films at the National Film Theatre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Brand

He's a great advert for film music on TV: easy to listen to, seems to know - and love - the subject (his genuine reaction to seeing Korngold's baton and playing the organ in the theatre (no smutty comments please) was nice to see) and is really quite engaging.
  7. He (Neil) continued his enthusiasm during the "filmmusic proms", which was very good (for the most part - I though STID and ID4 were a little messy, but the rest was outstanding). Worth catching up with, if you've not seen it yet.

On a side note, it's good to hear that David Arnold said a lot of the same things (as Neil did) on his Radio 6 show. I mean... you can't really argue with history, but you can argue with the interpretation of it. So I believe it to be a good thing that they're reached similar conclusion (or draw from the same research... whatever). So far, the season seems quite coherent is all I'm saying.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube