• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Seems the other way around. Somewhere on Facebook I read that Wallfisch was helping out on the project since May. Whether he worked afterwards, I don't know, but the bulk of Zimmer's involvement was during the two-week break in his concert tour.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Oh shit, my faith in the musical aspect of this film is dropping by the bits of info. This really is my number one film of the moment and this should've been the most exciting score release, but now I'm seriously fearing another 50 tracks-under-a-minute cue dump.
  2. Demetris wrote
    it's going to be another dunkirk case most probably, where daddy z will write a an opening cue or a 'motif' cue and wallfisch will fill the rest of the gaps with copy pasting here and there (he's good at that, filling all the Z gaps wink) hopefully it will have a bit more music than sound design, well more than dunkirk at least.

Hans was on Dunkirk for a whole year and the only places where he actually left stuff to someone else was Wallfisch with Elgar (as Hans probably flatly refused to rework that himself and relegated it to someone else, like in the case of Lone Ranger, Wilhelm Tell and Zanelli doing these bits) and Balfe took over the last month or so when Hans actually was starting the tour. Outside of it he was on the project constantly.

And knowing Hans crediting the percussionist as actual additional music should be actually quite telling of how the guy worked on the project as Hans crediting soloists as additional composers did happen before.

But of course, you know what happened,.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited
    Let's hope it is good this time, unlike the now thankfully forgotten Dunkirk score smile Wallfisch has potential if he lets him do something of his own instead of imitating daddy z.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited
    Zimmer would be my Nr. 1 pick for this project if Vangelis was unavailable, so I would be very, very surprised if this doesn't turn up worthwhile. Despite busy schedules, tours and whatnot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He is Nolan's no.1 always and looked at what happened wink
  3. What happened? Nolan got exactly, note for note, what he demanded. Sometimes even, it seems, in no uncertain terms. Don't you understand that this is EXACTLY the the score the director asked for and even potentially risked his friendship with Hans to get that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes, and it's awful. hopefully the same won't happen with blade runner. i.e. the director will want some music instead wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2018
    The conposer’s Facebook page is reporting that he has passed away. Shocking news if true.
  4. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ … rce=Direct
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    what a shame. his piece "A Game of Croquet" is absolutely fantastic.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Terrible news.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A genuine loss for film music. His scores for Denis Villenueve's films are brilliant. Such a shame he was fired from Blade Runner.
  5. This is sad, 48 is no age to depart this world. RIP Johann Johannsson sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Tragic and shocking and surreal. I wonder what happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2018
    sad
    Kazoo
  7. It has made the radio news here. He was found dead at his place in Berlin. No further details were disclosed. Very sad.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. That's crazy. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018
    My review of MANDY:

http://celluloidtunes.no/mandy-johann-johannsson/
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Nice review, Thor. Well done indeed.
  10. Some good news for the fans. Found this in a new article from the last month:

After Jóhannsson’s death in February of last year, ruled as an accidental overdose of cocaine combined with prescription medication, Husom inked a deal with Deutsche Grammophon to produce a series of new releases. These will include a slew of back-catalogue reissues; the score for Last and First Men, a self-directed sci-fi film narrated by Tilda Swinton; and a choral recording of Drone Mass, an oratorio which premiered at the New York Met in 2015. There are also plans afoot to see Jóhannsson’s “intense” unused score for mother! released – though his work on Blade Runner 2049 looks unlikely to ever see light of day. “It was mostly idea-stage stuff, too raw to have been released,” says Husom
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2019
    Great. Keep it coming.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. We were talking about Johann Johannsson on our Zoom meet-up, and while I adore many of his scores (Theory of Everything definitely). The music from Arrival works me into a panic. When I saw the movie, I have never had a more stressful moviegoing experience - and it was absolutely because of the music! It felt like being in fight-or-flight mode for 2 hours. Apparently, I’m hyper-sensitive to "modern space atmospheric music", haha! biggrin I had a similar anxiety-riddled experience when watching Interstellar. And while I have heard such glowing reviews of that score (as well as of Arrival)…I. just. can’t. listen to it - because it really raises my blood pressure, like literally! This misses the mark for me, since I love film scores so much because they actually ease my stress, quiet my mind and bring joy! Late last year, I was delighted to see something new from Max Richter (because he’s just awesome) when Ad Astra hit theaters, but even though I was itching to buy it because his name was attached, the short sampling on iTunes I did made me worry it would have the same effect on me (haven’t seem the film). Does this happen to anyone else? Are there certain scores that give you anxiety? I can listen to dozens of action scores, intense moments and even horror music, without this effect. I think it’s something about the high-pitch tones. Anyone more musical than me, know what I mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2020
    Hmmm, interesting. I love that sound, and those scores you mention. Weird how our brains are so differently put together. There are other kinds of scores that do the same for me (abrasive horror music, for example).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2020
    Wow, that's quite the experience you get. :D

Arrival can get quite odd and nervous though, especially those voice-like pieces.

I haven't experienced that, but I can get pumped by some action scores, like we discussed in the Zoom, such as the Bournce scores.
    Kazoo
  12. Arrival is an awesome film. Original cerebral sci-fi is one of my favorite kinds of film. The music never did anything for me outside of the film, but it does create an atmosphere. The only score I can remember raising my blood pressure was IT. There were a couple tracks that I just had to skip. There's some terrifying stuff in that score.
  13. Oh, I just LOVE those Bourne score so much too!

Yeah, it’s so strange that I have such a strong reaction. Like Thor touched on above, It certainly does make you wonder how much of our likes/dislikes are influenced by our own unique physiology rather than our actual musical knowledge or appreciation of great composition.

Christopher, I have not seen IT and don't think I'd like to, lol.
  14. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Christopher, I have not seen IT and don't think I'd like to, lol.

I haven't either. smile I just listened to the score. But I couldn't handle some of the cues even apart from the film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2020 edited
    absolutely adore him

arrival is one of my favorite scores by him same as the similar recently released, amazing heartfelt experience (his self-directed black and white photography-based futuristic - post-apocalyptic film experiment)
    called Jóhann Jóhannsson & Yair Elazar Glotman - Last and First Men

A film by Jóhann Jóhannsson
    Music by Jóhann Jóhannsson & Yair Elazar Glotman
    Narration by Tilda Swinton based on the novel by Olaf Stapledon

he's one of my all time favorite composers anymore

are u familiar with his older non film music work ?
  15. I've heard some of his non-film work, but not sure if actually I've heard much of what he wrote before becoming a film composer (and, actually, he was one for a few years before being invited to Hollywood, so I can't even really pinpoint what was before that). I have heard L'Orphee and a couple of other non-film works. I think the IBM manual too, but I'd have to get back to this.

He's fantastic. Arrival was my favorite score of its year and I love both Prisoners and Sicario (I am proud of having reviewed all the work he's done for Villeneuve), just don't listen to them very often, especially the latter, due to the rather oppressive mood.

The beauty of Arrival is that it is still tense and full of dread, but having that little bit of hope that makes it so great.