• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2020 edited
    L'ORPHÉE is masterful, of course, but like you I'm fairly unfamiliar with his pre-film music concert works (unlike Max Richter, where I've heard almost everything). I aim to set aside time at some point and knock myself out on Spotify.

I regret that I when I chatted with him briefly in Berlin, just a year prior to his death, I wasn't more familiar with his work. I obviously knew PRISONERS, SICARIO and THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING, but that's about it. I don't even think ARRIVAL had premiered yet at that point, at least not in Norway. Now I'll never get the chance to a proper interview.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I chatted with him some time after Prisoners. I caught him literally leaving the venue on Poznań's Transatlantyk Film Festival (as he was to be taken to catch a train back to Berlin), and praised Prisoners, which I've loved since day one. That's when, a few months before it was announced, I found out he was doing Sicario.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021 edited
    Just saw a new EP release in my Apple Music from Jóhann Jóhannsson (‘Gold Dust’). With the amount of new material coming out since his passing, with also the soundtracks to Personal Effects and First and Last Men last year, you’d almost be forgiven for forgetting that the good man has died! (also wondering if we’re ever gonna get pieces of his rejected Blade Runner 2049 score released on such an album).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021
    Yeah, great that they're "keeping him alive" that way. Of course, veteran composers like Williams will have tons of unreleased material to explore after their passing (especially his television work), but for someone as relatively young as Jóhannsson, it's impressive what unreleased back catalogue he has.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, although I do wonder if the material that we’re getting on those new EP’s is proper music intended for release, or if it’s rejected by him when he was alive. A bit the same slightly uncomfortable feeling I had with those posthumous releases from Michael Jackson and Prince.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hopefully, they're consulting people that were close to him,professionally and personally -- like Hildur Gudnadottir -- before they release something. But maybe not; I don't really know how the labels work.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. BobdH wrote
    Just saw a new EP release in my Apple Music from Jóhann Jóhannsson (‘Gold Dust’). With the amount of new material coming out since his passing, with also the soundtracks to Personal Effects and First and Last Men last year, you’d almost be forgiven for forgetting that the good man has died! (also wondering if we’re ever gonna get pieces of his rejected Blade Runner 2049 score released on such an album).

His assistant said that he didn't get far with Blade Runner at all. Didn't go beyond early demo stages. Also there was no bad blood with the director. Had he lived, he would've scored Dune.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    His assistant said that he didn't get far with Blade Runner at all. Didn't go beyond early demo stages. Also there was no bad blood with the director. Had he lived, he would've scored Dune.

Ah okay, that’s too bad, I was really curious as to what his score would’ve sounded like and was secretly hoping some material would ever surface.

And yeah, I did read the Villeneuve interview, and saw him in another interview where he said they wanted to go more into the Vangelis direction while Johann was doing something else, which was why they chose to go their seperate ways, but Villeneuve was “looking forward to working together again in the future”.
  3. I have a feeling that it was Ridley Scott not really Villeneuve behind the replacement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    People are always saying the his ORPHEE is what the BLADE RUNNER score would have sounded like. I don't know the details about this, but I consider ORPHEE one of the best concert pieces of the 2010s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm. Orphée is a fine piece indeed (although I see it more as an album with seperate tracks rather than a single concert piece) that definitely should be heard more amongst detractors of Jóhann who only know him for scores like Sicario and Arrival and think he only does this minimalist kind of sound design (despite the wide range of styles between these two), but I have a hard time connecting Orphée with Blade Runner 2049.

Oh well. It’s all speculation by now. Unfortunately we will never know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021
    Gold Dust (the new EP) is described by the label as “unused and unreleased music from a project during Johann’s career” which suggests it’s probably a rejected score. Does anyone know which movie it’s from? I don’t know if the track list gives anything away (it doesn’t to me):

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Dust-J& … amp;sr=8-1
  4. Southall wrote
    Gold Dust (the new EP) is described by the label as “unused and unreleased music from a project during Johann’s career” which suggests it’s probably a rejected score. Does anyone know which movie it’s from? I don’t know if the track list gives anything away (it doesn’t to me):

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Dust-J& … amp;sr=8-1

I don't know what it's from, sorry. But it's good to see you back, James smile