• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013 edited
    I had the pleasure to sit down and talk to legendary cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond the other day. Read it here (you can skip the Norwegian intro):

http://montages.no/2013/09/vi-har-mott- … -zsigmond/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013 edited
    Alright, moving on:

Who are some of your favourite cinematographers? And don't say you don't have any.....you can't call yourself a film fan and not have a relationship to cinematographers!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Alright, moving on:

Who are some of your favourite cinematographers? And don't say you don't have any.....you can't call yourself a film fan and not have a relationship to cinematographers!

Yes I can. I couldn't name a single cinematographer and I enjoy watching films. It all depends on what you would call a "film fan"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013
    True. Maybe 'cineaste' is a better word, one who is "extra" interested in all aspects of the artform -- especially the major ones.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

you can't call yourself a film fan and not have a relationship to cinematographers!

What nonsense! tongue

Anyway, my favourite is JACK CARDIFF, right from his early and incredible work for Powell & Pressburger, from A Matter of Life and Death to Black Narcissus and way beyond. There was a documentary about his life and work released a few years ago that I'd like to see.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's like saying you can't call yourself a film music fan if you don't have a relationship with orchestrators! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    True. Maybe 'cineaste' is a better word, one who is "extra" interested in all aspects of the artform -- especially the major ones.

That's more like it! beer

I'm still trying to get my ( "real life" ) friend Harry to join this board, not so much for film music ( which he has a 'healthy' and very knowledgeable interest in ) but for OT threads like these where he'd be running with you Thor. I don't know anyone who knows more about all things cinematic and from the beginings of it's history, whether World, European or Hollywood ( which he is refreshingly un-snobby about ).

I must try harder.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    *its

It won't be long until you'll be paying the same favour... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    kill

Like a good sniper I have patience and I can wait, keep spell checking your Steven-ness uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

That's more like it! beer

I'm still trying to get my ( "real life" ) friend Harry to join this board, not so much for film music ( which he has a 'healthy' and very knowledgeable interest in ) but for OT threads like these where he'd be running with you Thor. I don't know anyone who knows more about all things cinematic and from the beginings of it's history, whether World, European or Hollywood ( which he is refreshingly un-snobby about ).

I must try harder.

Very cool! He would be a very valuable addition to this board. We need more folks like that around here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've always felt that cinematography is one of the most CRUCIAL creative components in filmmaking -- on the same level as directing, acting and music, at least. As with film composers, I love it when you can recognize a certain DP's style or tool throughout a filmography.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Michael Ballhaus

I just love his camerawork.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Michael Ballhaus

I just love his camerawork.

Volker

He's brilliant. Loved him ever since DAS BOOT.

Jack Cardiff I'm not that familiar with, even though I know him by name. Never really explored those Powell & Pressburger things.

In addition to the aforementioned Zsigmond (his 'flashing' technique is intriguing), I have soft spots for Gregg Toland, Vittorio Storaro, Sven Nykvist, Jon Toll, Roger Deakins, Janusz Kaminski, Conrad L. Hall, Robert Richardson, Wally Pfister, Dean Cundey, Allen Daviau (maybe my alltime favourite), Darius Kondji, Emmanuel Lubezki, Claudio Miranda -- all for different reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Powell & Pressburger.....explore you should.

Just stunning photography in this...

BLACK NARCISSUS

3.21 for the shivers up the spine moment, and great music by Brian Easdale.