• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I always heard On the Beach (Chris Gordon) was only printed on 300 copies or so.
    I don't understand why (Michael, back me up!) But I have one of them!

I'm not sure how many were printed, but legend has it the thing sold less than a third of that in its first year of release. Great shame. People really didn't know what they were missing here.

Ah, I see Erik already jumped in here. dizzy

I guess it was not a film many people saw (it was a tv movie, right? - I remember looking out for a UK airing but not finding one) and Gordon was a very obscure composer, at least in the US, at the time.

I bet if Varese released it today in their CD Club and printed 1500, it'd be sold out within a day. Such is the inexplicable nature of soundtrack purchasing.

My most treasured items are the ones which are signed. I wish I'd asked Jerry Goldsmith to sign something better than Powder, but never mind; at least I got Michael Kamen to sign Mr Holland's Opus. Also, a concert programme signed by Ennio Morricone - though I've no idea where it is!

I guess I have various rarities in my collection but I've no idea what most of them are. The most expensive CD I bought was probably A Summer Story by Georges Delerue which I paid something stupid for on Ebay. Most of the Academy promos actually become fairly cheap quite quickly if there are reasonably many of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Luis, I can't view the Stargate disc!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    Most of the Academy promos actually become fairly cheap quite quickly if there are reasonably many of them.

Hopefully that'll be the case with the Bolt promo wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Murderer! cry

(It's probably because everyone was so intimidated by your Williams autograph sad )

When I change my profile pic ( soon ) I'll hold that cover. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As some of you know I don't get involved very much with the signing of CD's although I do have a couple of them. My rare piece in my collection is the original "Jungle Book" release on 78's of Miklos Rozsa. I'm told this set is quite hard to come by.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Timmer wrote

Here I uploaded the picture on another server: Stargate single promo wink
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    Luis M. Rojas wrote
    Timmer wrote

Here I uploaded the picture on another server: Stargate single promo wink

That's better, thanks Luis. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    I need to reload another picture also
    listen to more classical music!
  2. I hand written reply letter from Shriley Walker, nowthat I think of it. No idea where it is.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2021 edited
    Alas, the days of owning a "rare" CD has pretty much gone. Up untill recently, I think the rarest CD I owned was the FSM release of THE TOWERING INFERNO, which would garner hundreds of dollars on the secondary market, but now that it's been reissued, it's worth nothing.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I agree to a large extent Thor. I used to have a copy of Delerue's La Révolution Française - the Disques CinéMusique release - and I remember seeing it on SAE being sold secondhand for $600.00! These high prices at the time were because these tended to be the only version avalable.

But, labels are slowly re-releasing rare titles and digital releases of old titles so the availability of the music is better. There may be a market for these older 'rare' CDs but I think that the worth is now nothing to do with the music but, rather, having that particular label's release of a score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021
    Ah yes, I remember that 2CD. I had a 2CD-R set of it, and was always amazed at how much the original went for on the secondary market. For some reason, I don't have that 2CD-R set anymore, but I have the digital files, thankfully.

I'm trying to think of a rare CD that goes for big bucks these days, but have a hard time thinking of any. LPs, on the other hand, is another story.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    I'm trying to think of a rare CD that goes for big bucks these days, but have a hard time thinking of any. LPs, on the other hand, is another story.

Looking at SAE now it seems to be limited edition boxed sets that are going for the most: Dominic Frontiere's The Outer Limits 3CD set is $225.00.

Berry Lipman's Star Maidens CD is going for $160.00 (plus shipping from the US) but I can get a digital download from Amazon for £7.99. So, it's not the music that dictates the expense but the fact that it's that particular release.

WIth La Révolution Française, if I remember correctly, at the time there was no alternative to buying the 2CD set. So, the expense was the actual music and getting access to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn