• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    Just curious to see if anyone here's got a one of a kind release (don't include bootlegs and stuff). Whether it's out of print and really rare, or something that might be faily common but might be signed - anything that makes it different is cool! cheesy

My 3 nominations are one of the original prints of Medal Of Honor Underground by Giacchino (not sure how many of these were made), a signed copy of the out of print first edition (the really short one) of Tomorrow Never Dies by David Arnold, and a signed copy of Endurance signed by John Powell.

What other gems are out there? beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    I always heard On the Beach (Chris Gordon) was only printed on 300 copies or so.
    I don't understand why (Michael, back me up!) But I have one of them!

I also have a copy of James Horners Titanic.
    It's now OOP, so I'm happy I have one before they were all gone.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    I also have a copy of James Horners Titanic.
    It's now OOP, so I'm happy I have one before they were all gone.

Well, it was rereleased on Super Audio CD, which is still available tongue And at the Fame in Amsterdam they've got a dozen of 'em wink

I've got the 'configuration box release' of the first three Hellraiser scores, which was a limited release and now OOP, I guess. Recently I bought Shore's excellent Looking for Richard on a convention, also OOP for quite a while. And I bought an academy promo of Thomas Newman's Jarhead (officially pressed!), which also got his traditional pianotheme that wasn't on the regular release (and thank goodness no rap/pop songs, but about 14 extra minutes of score instead).

With signatures, I've got stuff from John Powell, Harry Gregson Williams, Mychael Danna, Alberto Iglesias, Dario Marianelli, and a few others, like Bregt also has (and a lot more!). But I'm probably the most proud of my copy of Lawrence of Arabia signed by Maurice Jarre. Especially since it's the rerecording, and later I heard from someone else that Jarre had thrown the booklet to the other side of the room when he asked him to sign it, stating that he hated that re-recording biggrin He probably didn't have the energy any more for those kind of things when I asked him to sign it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    ...a signed copy of the out of print first edition (the really short one) of Tomorrow Never Dies by David Arnold...

You mean the 15 track version? Is that one OOP and rare?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    A lot of Dutch score promo's. Sometimes with an autograph. And other scores with autograph.

I don't know if I got any more rare titles, but some people tell me they are. Delta Force/King Solomon's Mines - Alan Silvestri/Jerry Goldsmith (Milan) is a rare title is one of those I was told about. Bought it for 1 euro.

I'll browse through some rare score listings on the internet and return with the result.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On The Beach....a short run? Hmmmmm, well, I have a copy too! cool

Hey Bregt, I'm sure glad I picked up Titanic too before it went out of print shocked wink

As to one's I have....

The Omega Man by Ron Grainer.

Body Heat by John Barry, this is the 45 rpm LP release.

That's about all I can think of? I don't take much notice of rarities, considering how many scores I have I guess there must be quite a few?

I'll be looking for CD's I have in all of everyone's replies smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I remember some websites listing them. That would be a great help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm sure I have lots of rarities in my collection, though I don't know which are rare and which aren't. I don't really care either, as I don't plan to sell them.

Peter wink
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    My collection of signed titels and rarities is still quite small. But I'm collecting eagerly!:-)

I've got signatures from Howard Shore on my complete Recordings for TT and FotR and on the first page of the conductor Score of the Aviator-Suite.
    I've also got a signature of Randy Newman on my Cars Soundtrack... and... no filmmusic but still a lovely souvenir, Oliver Stone signed my two-disc JFK-DVD...
  1. Hmmm, I guess the original Polydor release of COCOON is the most rare item I own, maybe not so rare I have the gold-disc of Krull, the VS Club release of Cherry 2000... I'll check my list again slant
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    I always heard On the Beach (Chris Gordon) was only printed on 300 copies or so.

I think the rumour was that they only SOLD 300 copies. It was a major disappointment for Varese because the score is so damn good!!!

It's still available
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D153%2D2

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Bregt wrote

Don't know if were printed 300 of this, but those who own the Varese release of Blood In Blood Out must be happy, only few were sold and the others were burnt!!! anyone know the story about it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote

I think the rumour was that they only SOLD 300 copies. It was a major disappointment for Varese because the score is so damn good!!!

It's still available
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D153%2D2

-Erik-

Ahhh that's more like it, I remember hearing that too.

I totally agree that it's a damn fine score and I wish more score fans would pick it up, it deserves a wider listening base.

Do you think marketing could have anything to do with it? That cover is atrocious, one of the worst I've ever seen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I have the original score from Titanic. I´ve heard that´s a rare item. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Luis M. Rojas wrote
    Bregt wrote

Don't know if were printed 300 of this, but those who own the Varese release of Blood In Blood Out must be happy, only few were sold and the others were burnt!!! anyone know the story about it?

This CD was manufactured but NOT released but fewer than 50 promotional copies do exist. Apparently certain legalities prevented this score from being released including an abrupt title change by the production company shortly before the film's release. The film was renamed Bound of Honor. It is believed Varese produced an entire run of the CD but there are no confirmations of the destruction or continued existence of that run. It's the rarest soundtrack CD that was never offered to the public for sale.

Now, what about THE CAINE MUTINY LP. Anyone have that $5000-$7500 collector's item?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. "The Omega Man"
    "Ghostbusters"

and a promotional CD-R from Lolita Ritmanis

Also, an extra copy of Intrada's "Capricorn One" that I keep for trade for a Varese "Predator".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have some random (legitimate) agency promos that I picked up around eBay...my most prized one being Jim Dooley's SOCOM 3. I also have an Academy promo of Howard Shore's The Last Mimzy. Also have some relatively pricey out of print scores like Horner's The Land Before Time and Zimmer's The Power of One
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Still available stuff though:

The Egyptian (FSM)
    North by Northwest (Varese)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    X-Men: The Last Stand (signed by John Powell)
    X2: X-Men United (signed by John Ottman)
    Island of Lost Souls (promo CD)
    Select Music from the film Serenity (a promo CD featuring 4 tracks of David Newman's score from the film)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer s2 and s3 score CDs (both promo CDs signed by Christophe Beck)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    I had Morricone's Bloodline and Red Sonja scores on Varese (club cds) sometime back.
    Now the only rare ones that I can think of are Dien Bien Phu & Summer Story (Delerue) which I hope to trade someday for Tours du monde... or La Revolution Francaise.
  6. Bregt wrote

I'm not sure how many were printed, but legend has it the thing sold less than a third of that in its first year of release. Great shame. People really didn't know what they were missing here.

Ah, I see Erik already jumped in here. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mmmm, I have a promo of John Powell's Agent Cody Banks.
    The three-CD Aldebaran bootleg of Ben-Hur is worth a pretty penny these days (God knows why, though. The quality is quite hateful at some points)
    I have Williams' Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, Rozsa's Knights Of The Round Table (the Muir Matheson suite rerecording) and El Cid (the EMI version), as well as Poledouris' The Touch and Paul Williams' The Muppet Movie, all long out of print and quite hard to come by. But these are only rare in that respect that they have indeed sold out, not because they were a limited run or something. It's a bit in the Predator / Inchon vein, which are CDs I have as well.

I'm also the proud owner of a copy of George Delerues' La Revolution Française, which is genuinely rare and sought after.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I have lots of rare CD's. With some of them I've had to suffice with a CD-R copy, but I have quite a few originals as well. Don't ask me to list them, though. That would require actual EFFORT! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. There's so many ways that could define a "rare" CD - as Anthony mentions in the opening post.

Some of the things I'd consider as rare are:

- Regarding Henry - Hans Zimmer (unsigned)
    - Dead Ringers/The Brood/Scanners - Howard Shore (Silva release, unsigned)
    - Looking For Richard - Howard Shore (signed)
    - On The Beach - Christopher Gordon (signed)
    - Jennifer 8 - Christopher Young (signed)
    - House of Flying Daggers - Shigeru Umebayashi (signed)
    - Flight of The Phoenix - Marco Beltrami (signed by composer and John Moore)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    In that case here's my signed CD's and LP's....ALL acquired by me personally from the composer...

Octopussy - John Barry

The Last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone

Superman - John Williams
    ( double LP ...signed big over a pic of Christopher Reeve flying as Supes )

The Battle Of Britain - Ron Goodwin ( LP )

The Kiss - Michael Nyman ( non - soundtrack )

A 1998 John Barry concert program - Basil Poledouris ( well, how the hell was I to know that he would be there!? )

Filmharmonic 1980 program - John Williams, John Addison, Geoff Love

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    Apparently I killed this thread!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Murderer! cry

(It's probably because everyone was so intimidated by your Williams autograph sad )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Murderer! cry

(It's probably because everyone was so intimidated by your Williams autograph sad )

What!?

WANT.

shame
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    In that case here's my signed CD's and LP's....ALL acquired by me personally from the composer...

Octopussy - John Barry

The Last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone

Superman - John Williams
    ( double LP ...signed big over a pic of Christopher Reeve flying as Supes )

The Battle Of Britain - Ron Goodwin ( LP )

The Kiss - Michael Nyman ( non - soundtrack )

A 1998 John Barry concert program - Basil Poledouris ( well, how the hell was I to know that he would be there!? )

Filmharmonic 1980 program - John Williams, John Addison, Geoff Love

cool

omg Impressive!
  8. Checking my collection, I found a couple items that may be considered rare:

- Stargate single (David Arnold)
    Contains just 1 track of score but the rarest thing is that came in a shaped-pyramyd disc, is this one

- Gold (Elmer Bernstein) SIGNED!!
    Yes yes, but is not the new Intrada release, here's the story:
    some years ago, at the time I had the "rare soundtracks" site, I made a cover of Gold. A friend of Spain met Bernstein at a dinner and he kindly signed a printed copy of the soundtrack, so this friend sent me that as surprise, and what a surprise!!! biggrin biggrin