• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited
    Greetings from the very small film music country of Norway, where the person that posts stuff on film music forums = the same person that owns the record label = the composer = yours truly. In other words, I am posting this to tell you that I am releasing my latest score, called DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (THE TOUGH GUYS). This is a digital release only which can be obtained from digital music stores like iTunes and Amazon, and streaming services like Spotify. It will be released September 27th - this Friday!

Listen to the very first track here: http://snd.sc/1dG7vCa

Watch the trailer here, with English subtitles: http://www.sfinternational.se/Details.a … ac6f114281

From the press release:
    THE TOUGH GUYS - the second feature film from director Christian Lo (RAFIKI) - premiered in Norwegian cinemas September 6th, and was the big winner at the Kristiansand International Children's Film Festival this year. The film is based on Norwegian author Arne Svingen's novel DE TØFFESTE GUTTA, and is an action packed comedy about bullying and friendship.

The score is composed by Eirik Myhr, who has previously scored the award winning feature film RAFIKI, two full-length theatre plays based on Henrik Ibsen's PEER GYNT, and music for lots of popular Norwegian tv series. Among the public, THE TOUGH GUYS has been quoted as a "Tarantino film for children" - and it probably has a lot to do with Myhr's score, inspired by everything from old westerns, 60's and 70's acid rock to indie rock and contemporary classical music.

Thank you for your attention smile
    Regards, Eirik
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    Since I'm a friend of Eirik's, I'm kinda biased here, but I dig this score -- it's like a cross between Morricone and the KICK-ASS soundtrack, but with its own unique voice as well.

Eirik, have you ever thought about doing a straight "orchestral" rendition of the main theme without the drum kit? I don't know, I think it would lend itself easily to that to get a more classical, heroic feel. Maybe it's present elsewhere in the score?

PS. Perhaps the moderators could change the headline to EIRIK MYHR? He needs his own thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    Thank you Thor! smile There are parts of the score which are more orchestral without the guitars and drums, and vice versa. We tried going fully orchestral with the opening titles at some point, but it didn't feel quite right in the context of the film. But who knows, I might go back to it one day..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013
    Thor wrote
    PS. Perhaps the moderators could change the headline to EIRIK MYHR? He needs his own thread.

Good idea. smile
    Changed the title from "Pling Kong Recordings presents: DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (THE TOUGH GUYS)" to the composer name.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I dig this score -- it's like a cross between Morricone and the KICK-ASS soundtrack

Ha! I hadn't read this part of the comment yet, but I had the EXACT same connotation. smile
    Good stuff! This is the kind of score I really enjoy, pastiche and all.

Too bad it's a digital release only. I do like a physical disk (but I can understand the prohibitive cost involved).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    I personally LOVE CDs... But you're right - sadly, there is no way to justify the cost involved for such a small label as mine. And selling CDs in Norway is almost impossible these days (let alone a film score CD), streaming has taken over the entire market here...

The iTunes version includes a lovely 4-page digital booklet though, with liner notes and everything wink

Second teaser is out now: http://snd.sc/16ZGbgq
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013 edited
    I'd heartily recommend The Tough Guys. I've been listening to it tonight and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Below is a link to some clips:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/T%C3%B8ffeste-G … este+Gutta

Anyone looking for a soundtrack featuring "gangster electronica banjo punk" will have their searching answered.

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Review of De Tøffeste Gutta
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014
    I enjoyed listening to the theme. I could picture Lee Van Cleef riding from nowhere to somewhere.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I want to think about the possibility of releasing the CD. I think a 500 piece run would sell out.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eirik has already released the album on his own label (even on CD!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    should I contact a distributor here or is he already on top of all of that?
    Tom
  2. Thor wrote
    Eirik has already released the album on his own label (even on CD!).

ow cool, let him know about the review. If he is of course still interested
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    should I contact a distributor here or is he already on top of all of that?
    Tom

Tom, I'll alert him to this thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sounds good. have him pm me
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014 edited
    Hello people, and thanks for the review Thomas!
    Actually I had not yet watched Kick-Ass while working on this film. Although at certain points, one or two Kick-Ass-cues were used in the temp score, as you may have guessed. wink But actually 90% of the temp score was my own from the very beginning (like the main theme and the suite stuff), as I came fairly early into the process of this film.

And actually there is no real CD release as of today, there were just some CDRs I used as promotion copies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2014
    responded to your pm Erik.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    By the way, since the last time I visited this forum, I have an all new website: http://eirikmyhr.no
    AND an English twitter account free of Norwegian nonsense: http://twitter.com/eirikmyhr
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Will await your response via email
    Tom
  3. PlingKong wrote
    Hello people, and thanks for the review Thomas!
    Actually I had not yet watched Kick-Ass while working on this film. Although at certain points, one or two Kick-Ass-cues were used in the temp score, as you may have guessed. wink But actually 90% of the temp score was my own from the very beginning (like the main theme and the suite stuff), as I came fairly early into the process of this film.

And actually there is no real CD release as of today, there were just some CDRs I used as promotion copies.

I was pretty sure several temp tracks were used smile
    but good to know about the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    sent you an email
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014
    I'm going to try to be a bit more frequent on updating you about my stuff.

Right now I have a new album release in a week - a digital release only so far I'm afraid (yes, I'm a CD lover too). It's not a film score but actually a score for an experimental dance performance based on Henrik Ibsen's PEER GYNT. It's called PEER GYNT: UTFOR STUPET ("Peer Gynt: Off the Cliff"). The whole thing was performed five nights only on a crazy location in the middle of the Norwegian mountains, in the summer of 2012.

You can listen to the whole thing already, right here: http://eirikmyhr.no/off-the-cliff/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014
    Eirik was just on national radio to speak about the PEER GYNT stage music.

I recommend people to check out the album at the link he provided above. It has some gorgeous tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I saw that this was about to be released and am quite interested to hear it.

Thanks for the info on what the project is and the link to listen to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
    PEER GYNT: UTFOR STUPET is now available on iTunes, Spotify, WiMP, Amazon and lots of other services.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2016 edited
    PlingKong Recordings (plingkong.com) is proud to present the soundtrack for the stageplay adaptation of Astrid Lindgren's seminal fantasy novel THE BROTHERS LIONHEART. Release: February 26th.

Astrid Lindgren's THE BROTHERS LIONHEART (1973) is a cornerstone of Scandinavian literature – a heartbreaking, bittersweet story about childhood and death. Young "Rusky" is fatally ill, but loses his big brother Jonatan before he himself succumbs to his illness. In the afterlife, they reunite in the mythological realm known as Nangijala – a fantasy world inhabited by orchards, quirky characters and evil rulers. In 2014, the novel was transcribed to stage at The Norwegian Theater in Oslo.

Eirik Myhr's music is delicate and melancholic, written for string quintet, wordless vocals and samples – with particular use of vibraphone, percussion, organ and harp. The score is organized around leitmotifs for the most prominent characters, with the lofty, ethereal theme for Nangijala as the centerpiece. Its harmonic language is firmly molded in the Nordic sensibilities of Edvard Grieg and Jean Sibelius, but also with more contemporary fairytale stylings in the tradition of Danny Elfman and Alexandre Desplat – all the while sounding like its own sound world as it tries to musically portray the inner life of the characters.

Eirik Myhr (b. 1982) has composed music for film, television and theatre since 2006, including the family films RAFIKI (2009) and THE TOUGH GUYS (2013). For more information, visit http://www.eirikmyhr.no.

Cover: http://plingkong.com/docs/l%C3%B8vehjarte-cover-500.jpg

Track listing:

1. Prolog (Prologue) 2:07
    2. Ei snøkvit due (A white dove) 1:05
    3. Nangijala (Nangijala) 3:53
    4. Kavring og Jonatan (Rusky and Jonathan) 1:11
    5. Sjå, Jonatan, eg rir! (Look, Jonathan, I’m riding!) 1:08
    6. Sofia (Sophia) 1:47
    7. Tengil av Karmanjaka (Tengil of Karmanjaka) 2:15
    8. Paloma (Paloma) 1:29
    9. Berre ein draum? (Only a dream?) 1:45
    10. Rittet (The race) 2:02
    11. Ein svikar i Kirsebærdalen (A traitor in the Cherry Valley) 2:17
    12. Inn i Villrosedalen (Entering the Thorn Rose Valley) 2:13
    13. Bianka (Bianca) 1:42
    14. Mattisgarden (Mattias’ house) 2:39
    15. Ransakinga (Ransacking) 2:41
    16. All makt til Tengil (All power to Tengil) 3:10
    17. Soga om Katla og Karm (The tale of Katla and Karm) 2:17
    18. Under jorda (Underground) 0:56
    19. Ein kveld for å ri langs elvar (A night to ride along rivers) 2:17
    20. Sviket ved Karmafossen (Betrayal at the Karma Falls) 3:33
    21. Slaget om Villrosedalen (Battle of the Thorn Rose Valley) 3:10
    22. Katla si skjebne (Katla’s destiny) 1:45
    23. Nangilima (Nangilima) 5:21

Total duration 52:48

Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL1S4MP05es

Listen or buy here:

http://phonofile.link/brornelovehjarte
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I'd be interested in the film's score ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I'd be interested in the film's score ...

So are we all (who have any kind of connection to the story or the 1977 film). I'm sure you have the brilliant Björn Isfält compilation that includes a couple of selections from the score? If not, you should seek it out -- although it's hard to come by.

However, Eirik made a point out of not listening to this when he worked on this project. I think that was a good idea. The theme is so iconic.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I'd be interested in the film's score ...

So are we all (who have any kind of connection to the story or the 1977 film). I'm sure you have the brilliant Björn Isfält compilation that includes a couple of selections from the score?

I am aware of that CD but could not track it down for a reasonable prize so far. sad
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2016
    I can understand that.
    I am extremely serious.