• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited
    Your opinion would be wrong. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    You opinion would be wrong. wink

-Erik-

Good to know you CAN be objective with a subjective matter.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    You know what, Kevin, instead of blurting out your one liners why don't you expand on your "shocking" statement. For instance, did you FINALLY hear a theme in the score? Why exactly is Frizzell's score the best of the series? What doesn't it have over the likes of Goldsmith's and Horner's classic scores. Why do you favour it over Goldenthal's effort? What seperates it from the bunch?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010
    I look at it this way:

Alien 3 is unlistenable (bloody so), I think part of the reason people "like" it is that they want to be seen as intelligent by others so this is the way to do it.
    Aliens is unoriginal, the highlight is the miltiary based action music (parts of it derived from earlier scores) .
    Alien I could never imagine for the film that ultimately was made.

Arguably, Alien Resurrection is the most mainstream of the scores in its approach. I just liked the intensity in which it attacked in its horror/action scenes (They Swim, The Aliens Escape, and Battle with the Newborn are prime examples of this). I can see the point that Frizzell was making in the DVD interview of using electronics and the orchestra to blend in whats real and whats not.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    I look at it this way:

Alien 3 is unlistenable (bloody so), I think part of the reason people "like" it is that they want to be seen as
    intelligent by others so this is the way to do it.

Most ridiculous thing i've read in a while; so anyone who likes dark textures and dissonance (i happen to be one who enjoys this, Penderecki, Goldenthal and all influenced) is a self-lying snob now?

It's one thing to have an opinion for yourself but what you're suggesting above is plain idiotic and insulting.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Totally agree with you, D. An absolutely retarded statement if I ever read one!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    It's my opinion that Frizzell wrote the best score of the Alien series.

How's that for a weird opinion...

shocked

Weird? No! Cuuuuurrrrrazeeeee!? YEAP!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I look at it this way:

Alien 3 is unlistenable (bloody so), I think part of the reason people "like" it is that they want to be seen as
    intelligent by others so this is the way to do it.

Most ridiculous thing i've read in a while; so anyone who likes dark textures and dissonance (i happen to be one who enjoys this, Penderecki, Goldenthal and all influenced) is a self-lying snob now?

It's one thing to have an opinion for yourself but what you're suggesting above is plain idiotic and insulting.

I agree with you and Erik also.

ALIEN 3 is very listenable and I like it a lot, what the hell has 'want to be seen as intelligent' got to do with it? A bit patronising of you there Kevin, you should hear some of the stuff I think is great ( Martijn will vouch for me wink )

As for Alien Resurrection, I thought it was a pretty good score.

My opinion on the best scores in order from 1st to...

1. ALIEN - the best, here's THE most intelligent work, an absolute classic.

2. ALIENS - 2nd best but the one I play most.

3. ALIEN 3 - Unrelentingly dark, I have to be in the right mood

4. ALIEN RESURRECTION - a very good effort.

5. The rest of em, whatever, Predators and shit, blah!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin is free to his opinion (even though I obviously disagree with it), however it would be more convincing if he focussed more on why he thought A:R was so good and less statements of the ALIEN 3 type above. It should be possible to say you like or prefer something without putting down others.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree, Thor. No one was putting down anyone.

-Erik-