• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. lp wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Williams has done his fair share of clunkers too, but the great successes tend to overshadow them.

But what's the last really bad, forgettable film JW was attached to? I mean, a movie like Goldsmith's U.S. Marshals or Deep Rising, the kind that really doesn't make a splash whatsoever (so stuff like Crystal Skull and the prequels doesn't count, as obviously those were still big, memorable films for all their faults). Going back through his filmography, really the first thing that strikes me as "forgettable" is Stepmom, and that's a decade and a half ago!

No composer with a career as long as Williams' can say that they've worked exclusively on good films, but the ratio of good-to-bad with the maestro still strikes me as uncannily in favor of the former. I'm kind of mostly referring to post-Star Wars Williams here, i.e. the famous stuff. His earlier career is full of weirdness. tongue

The Star Wars prequels were very forgettable.

Sorry but that's nonsense.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I agree. The prequels have many, many (many many many) flaws but they are hardly "forgettable" in the sense of "I can't remember a single scene from that movie after it's finished playing".
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013
    Indeed, sadly they aren't forgettable. Every day I wish that I could forget about these films.

Peter sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I'm one of the few of my generation who actually LIKE them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'd be disappointed if you didn't, Thor.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed, sadly they aren't forgettable. Every day I wish that I could forget about these films.

Peter sad

I'm thinking of starting a 12-step program for sufferers of this affliction. At the end of it, we'll forget any notions of midichlorians and come to accept the true Jedi way.

May the force be with you.

"Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda 2:16
  3. I thought we were talking about Williams' prequel scores here.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope! Try to keep up. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maintitle threads might go a variety of different ways before they die. I use to complain but found out it did little good.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So airplane food, what's up with that!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pretty far up, I'd say!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    I thought we were talking about Williams' prequel scores here.

Volker

I was. Don't care for it. Don't like it. Nothing new. All forgettable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013 edited
    lp wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I thought we were talking about Williams' prequel scores here.

Volker

I was. Don't care for it. Don't like it. Nothing new. All forgettable.

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013
    yeah
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Seriously lp, not even Duel of The Fates? Not caring or liking it is fair enough but forgettable?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I assumed he was making a joke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Seriously lp, not even Duel of The Fates? Not caring or liking it is fair enough but forgettable?

Outside of the few standalone cues, like Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes, I was completely underwhelmed by the whole trilogy. I was expecting the music to be on par with the original, since it's the same composer and the benchmark everyone uses for fine orchestral film music. Is it good film music? Sure, but just because it tried to be more than serviceable and did exactly what it was suppose to do, leitmotif here, march there.

Basically, when I think of Star Wars music, I don't think of the prequel scores, I think of the original Trilogy score. That's what I mean when I say, forgettable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

Those movies are a joke (story wise, effects were AWESOME) The score suffered, despite some good moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    dizzy uhm

Fair enough.
  5. lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Those movies are a joke (story wise, effects were AWESOME) The score suffered, despite some good moments.

The effects haven't aged well and it's only going to get worse as time goes by. Sets > greenscreens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

The effects haven't aged well and it's only going to get worse as time goes by. Sets > greenscreens.

Effects will always age, especially more so those that existed more than 4-5 years ago. But they were awesome for the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought the special effects in the first prequel film were the best of the three, because I seem to remember less green screens and even some miniatures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    I thought the special effects in the first prequel film were the best of the three, because I seem to remember less green screens and even some miniatures.

Yeah, Episode 1 still had miniatures and those will always look good. I was talking about the CGI stuff. Making images look realisitc is so much easier now with advances in unbiased raytracing algorithms and faster processors, compared to the "old" days.
  6. lp wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Effects will always age, especially more so those that existed more than 4-5 years ago. But they were awesome for the time.

There's truth to that, but certain effects just hold up better than others. Take my example from above; even when you can tell it's a set, at least you have a feeling that the actors are moving about in a physical space. The greenscreen-heavy prequels just look and feel artificial in comparison with, say, the concurrently produced Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm not going to say that every effect in LotR is seamless (green soap bubble army, wheeee!) but they did a damn good job. It's pretty telling that the effects in The Hobbit aren't considerably better (in fact, in a lot of ways they're worse) than they were a decade ago.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark, I would be very interested in hearing your opinion about something I sometimes feel about the, what I call, perfect technicians in film music. While they are amazing composers, serving both the movie and the orchestral tradition very well, I have a feeling that sometimes when they are uninspired, which can happen (how many awful movies has Jerry Goldsmith scored, for example?) a lot in the genre, they can simply "run to" their education in the way that allows them to keep a piece going just by the sheer power of their musicianship and knowledge of symphonic development.

An uneducated composer in that case is in a much worse situation, because if he deals with something God-awful and doesn't have the early enthusiasm of a young composer, will really suffer, because he doesn't have the technical proficiency to keep a cue going and struggles with finding a single note. I think this is where a score like Pearl Harbor (as much as I like the album) suffers.

Would you agree with that assessment? I am not saying, yet again, that John Williams or James Horner struggles less while working, but I am merely saying that the educated composer can pull off something really good much easier, just because he has the experience and theory to keep a piece going by power of their education.

Also, I'd like you to say more about the formal education in arts, this is something I am struggling with myself, not in music. Does formal education work in a heuristic way as opposed as only having the academic knowledge of theory or even philosophy of the particular art? How does it encourage creativity in terms of finding not necessarily new grounds in a particular artistic field, but a voice of one's own?

I don't want to attack formal education in any way, mind you. And I don't want to build a false dichotomy, in fact I am looking more for a dialectics between the autodidact and the educated smile .

It took a while to get back to this!

To use the composition department in Oslo as an example: this is an institution that does not even teach traditional counterpoint, and to a certain extent, harmony. The focus is entirely shifted towards the creative, the norm-challenging, the provocative, the innovative. There is pressure on thinking like nobody else, writing like nobody else, sounding like nobody else. We are talking about a very fluid, very personal, very democratic view on composition. Other places, you'll find different environments and great diversity. That is something to celebrate, of course.

In Oslo, you are expected to find an identity that is uniquely your own, and this kind of idealism is one of the factors leading to the bashing of for example John Williams; who happily benefits from the musical heritage and established styles of past composers, such as Wagner or Tchaikovsky. In some environments his perspective on writing music is frowned upon, simply because there exists a dogma that values stylistic originality at the expense of even as deeply felt a musicianship and craftmanship Williams has.

The heroes and idols for this kind of education are composers like Stravinsky, Messiaen, Hindemith, Lachenmann, and others. These are composers who polarized themselves from the romantic traditions and dogma. They reacted by evolving entirely new concepts, opening up the musical language to allow new explorations. They also left behind formulated theories on their compositional system. The way they thought about music. Stravinsky exploded the possibilities of form and structure. A radicalist by nature, he demonstrated virtually unlimited new possibilites in composition, that were highly stylized, highly personal, and that expressed a tremendous wealth of emotions that continue to inspire. And Hindemith occupied himself with the task of explaining tonality from a higher perspective than the common tonal system. He described a logic in his theoretical writings that emancipated the function of individual tones from the context of classical western harmony. The natural overtone series became the foundation of a more "naturalistic" view of tonality. Also, Messiaen created entirely original scales that would serve as the foundation of his compositions. His theoretical approach is much used in modern composition education. It is seen as a pathway to individual expression, opening the mind. Of course, I haven't even mentioned Schoenberg, Alban Berg, twelve-tone system, or serialism, which are also very important.

The point is, there is no conventional "training" to speak of. The point is being individual, self-searching, and to a certain degree, radicalism is vital. The other side of it is that radicalism can not exist without the conservative. However, in the environment in Oslo they don't really care about that other side. They are persistant, and content, in having the focus they have. Which I think is good. A school that tries to say everything, can really say nothing. You have to specialize. And other schools could, and should, have their own perspective.

You asked about autodidacts having problems with creating when not inspired, compared to trained musicians. The answer is a clear "no", if you ask me! There should be no theoretical difference here. Experience is a better way to explain potential differences between composers. If you have experience, it's easier to produce when inspiration is lacking. The more experience, the more tools, the more insight, the more knowledge of how to progress and get a good result. Of course sometimes, music is composed with a sense of dogma, slavishly resorting to pre-fixed patterns. But that would be experience kicking in, not training or academic education.

About the nature of an education in composition: if it hadn't evolved around practical composition learning by doing and critical evaluation, it wouldn't really be a composer's education at all. It would be musical theory and analysis course - which of course is an available subject, especially for aspiring teachers. But a composer's education consists of a lot of trial and error, writing for instruments, having it performed, exploring new styles, new contexts, new ideas. It is highly heuristic and practise-based.

It's late at night, so I hope to have made a little sense with my rambling.... wink