• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Listening to the Hulk 2 CD rigt now... IMHO it's not that bad, I like some tracks well. I felt Armstrong didn't kinda do it up to his full potential...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    It works well with the film, but like most modern film scores it tried way too hard not to be noticed...there were moments that should have been incredibly touching musically that kind of just drifted by because "OH NO WE CAN'T EMOTIONALLY MANIPULATE THE AUDIENCE"

That's exactly the main reason why most modern film scores suffer mate; emotional and musical disconnection, in vast contrast to older approaches, especially the Golden Age. I could never understand nor accept the minimalistic approaches to end credits / opening titles' that modern films usually carry with drone all over them, CREDITS AND OPENING TITLES should be done like THE HAPPENING - as you mentioned above, for fudge's sake! Let the credits scroll in their own time and space, don't force it and let your composer be expressed, create, move! What the fudge? Why old the coldness?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Listening to the Hulk 2 CD rigt now... IMHO it's not that bad, I like some tracks well. I felt Armstrong didn't kinda do it up to his full potential...

On the other hand, and because i like the pre-Elizabeth Armstrong too much, i don't think that it's him not delivering his 100% but i really consider this NOT his style, at all; He's forced, he's not him; just listen to Piano Works, As if to nothing, The Space Between Us or his latest "Memory Takes My Hand" violin concerto; that's Armstrong; beautiful and natural.What he's delivered since Elizabeth (including) is cold, generic and feels unnatural, especially if you consider what another composer (From Goldenthal to Young) more fitted for this genre could have done with Incredible Hulk, clearly a missed opportunity - or more correctly, a misplaced assignment imo.

I really wish he manages to escape out of all this very soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, where's the inclusion of the original Harnell "lonely theme" in Armstrong's score? Track titles i mean, if anyone spotted it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    I really wish he manages to escape out of all this very soon.

Yeah. I feel he's best at the World Trade Center type scores! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, where's the inclusion of the original Harnell "lonely theme" in Armstrong's score? Track titles i mean, if anyone spotted it.

Disc 1, Track 11... "Bruce Goes Home (with "The Lonely Man" performed by Craig Armstrong, written by Joseph Harnell"
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
  1. Isn't interesting that this was a CD-R, while the new CD of score from "Voltron" is pressed? ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    jedizim wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Disc 1, Track 11... "Bruce Goes Home (with "The Lonely Man" performed by Craig Armstrong, written by Joseph Harnell"

thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    Hi Guys,

i'm all for it!!!! It's usually a good thing to have a composer on board that wants to prove himself in a genre that's not his regular. I don't know why but I'm thinking about Gabriel Yared right now. Who could've guessed he would write such a GREAT score for 'Troy'. Ok, things did'nt work out the way they should, but that music ROCKS!!!

I think Craig Armstrong is an Excellent composer. I've seen him LIVE in Ghent last year and it was AWE-SOME!!! So, as far as music writing goes I think he will do a great job! Can't wait to hear this one.

oh, very rare that a soundtrack gets a 2-cd release no? what about the fee's they're always talking about smile

grtz, Jojo goes muscular and green tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Joris wrote
    ...what about the fee's they're always talking about smile

The score was recorded in Seattle with the Northwest Sinfonia which is a non-union orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    Hey Dom,

didn't know that! tx!

That Craig fellow does know how the clock ticks doesn't he smile

grtz, fee the birds, tuppence a bag
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am going to buy this on my next amazon purchase not because i really want the score that badly (especially not 2 hours of it) but because we must encourage such trends to longer and more complete score releases!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. The big question remains: what WOULD a Mychael Danna HULK soundtrack sound like?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    The big question remains: what WOULD a Mychael Danna HULK soundtrack sound like?

biggrin crazy sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Dom wrote
    Joris wrote
    ...what about the fee's they're always talking about smile

The score was recorded in Seattle with the Northwest Sinfonia which is a non-union orchestra.

Yup, this "Sinfonia" is comprised mainly of members from the Seattle Symphony and other musicians around the Puget Sound area.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    The big POINTLESS question remains: what WOULD a Mychael Danna HULK soundtrack sound like?

QFT!
  3. Oh that question had a point all right. Agitation. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    The big question remains: what WOULD a Mychael Danna HULK soundtrack sound like?

Inappropriate? wink Wasn't John Williams attatched to Ang Lee's film at one point or did I dream that?

Danna's score? I'd love to have heard it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. RE: John Williams, you dreamt it. wink

We know a little of what Danna's score would have sounded like, as the end credits reference a piece by Danna called 'Mother'. Danna was probably the source of the use of female vocals and duduk in the Elfman score.

It's a shame to think the only action setpiece scoring we may ever get out of Danna is RIDE WITH THE DEVIL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    interesting though to see that a lot of people like a-typical composers to this kinda blockbuster overblown cgi- sh*t. biggrin

Does that mean you guys are tired of the usual big bucks-action-composers?

Jojo per un pugno di dollari
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Interview with Armstrong on The Incredible Hulk
    http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/sotw.asp?ID=125
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    That was an awesome interview. It really whets my appetite to purchase the 2CD score! I could tell when I heard it in the film that, while not the traditional superhero score, it was rather complex and interesting and thoughtful. No emotional syrupy-ness but a lot of interesting concepts.

I always find it more interesting to listen to scores after I've heard the composer's own point of view on what he was thinking as he wrote the score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    I am going to buy this on my next amazon purchase not because i really want the score that badly (especially not 2 hours of it) but because we must encourage such trends to longer and more complete score releases!

No, we certainly must NOT!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    it's debatable. I have been seeking out 'complete score' bootlegs and it's fun to have them. Although I must admit that I listen far more often to the regular compiled album, because it's just more flowing as a listening experience. But it depends from score to score I guess...

grtz Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

No, we certainly must NOT!

At least you have the choice of not buying it. I'm very happy with my 2 disc version.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    Time to resurrect this thread with some news. Craig is doing the score for...

CLASH OF THE TITANS

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … itans.html

mc
  5. Is there something they are NOT remaking now?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    Someone once put forward the idea of remaking badly made films with good ideas.

Now there's a thought?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. moviescore wrote
    Time to resurrect this thread with some news. Craig is doing the score for...

CLASH OF THE TITANS

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … itans.html

mc

I'm quite looking forward to this, especially the movie which is made by a very good young director
    anyway, I hope Armstrong can deliver something that matches the spectacle on screen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh