• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    A TWO disc score!? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Just wondering what his The Incredible Hulk score will be like?

Armstrong says he was a massive Marvel comics fan, does that mean he'll give this score something a bit special?

I've also heard that Joe Harnell's lovely "Lonely Man" theme appears in the film.

^
    Am I right? We'll have to wait and see ( hear ) ? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    First time? Man, i don't know about this and i am really looking forward to hearing it but i doubt it will be as good as his stuff from MOULIN ROUGE or his scores to Plunkett and MacLeane and Love Actually. Ray and World Trade Center as well as Bone Collector and The quiet American also have some very good moments in them too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Also have some very good moments in them too? I couldn't find one misplaced note in any of them... Hmm, I'm just thinking what I don't like in any of his scores... Well Kiss of the Dragon has electronics that are a bit outdated, just like Orphans. But really, I can't think of anything else. My final verdict; The Incredible Hulk is going to be a another 'boring' masterpiece wink
  1. I can see how it would be possible for Craig Armstrong's 'masterpiece' to be 'boring'. As Marx said of someone: 'If he's mistaken for a mountain among men, it is only due to the flatness of the surrounding terrain.' wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too believe it will be such eventually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Hulk had always been one of the less fascinating characters/heroes of Marvel. The first movie didn't work for the public, not as a drama, not as an action movie . I've seen the trailer of the incredible hulk, and it seems just a faster and bigger (and propably more enjoyable) upgrade of the first movie, with more action sequences. I don't really understand why actors like Norton and Roth signed for this. That Armstrong is doing the music of such a giant blockbuster is even more surpirising. I'm looking forward to this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and i forgot ROMEO + JULIET as well. Very, very good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep wrote
    Also have some very good moments in them too? I couldn't find one misplaced note in any of them...

Ray has some overused themes that appear over and over and some misplaced Gospel Vocals. Bone Collector suffers from typical thriller underscore at places and The quiet American gets really off at some points with those God-awful female vocals which even veer off to out of tune in some instances. As i said, good scores but with flaws.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also interesting is the Editorial Review from amazon.com

" From Marvel Music, the ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK to the smash-hit Super Hero blockbuster THE INCREDIBLE HULK!

Marvel Studios and Universal Pictures present the most incredible Super Hero movie of the summer: THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Hot on the heels of the highly successful IRON MAN, Marvel Studios has teamed with Universal pictures to tell the story of physicist Bruce Banner, a man on the run with a secret that could destroy us all, or be our only hope. When this mild-mannered man loses control, his rage unleashes the monstrous creature known to the world as the Hulk. But in his effort to cure himself of his condition, he has unwittingly delivered the key to his transformation into the hands of an enemy that wants to use it against him. Now, our only hope is for the Hulk to accept his monstrous fate and embrace his heroic destiny.

From director Louis Leterrier (THE TRANSPORTER) and starring Edward Norton (THE ILLUSIONIST), this pulse-pounding film is enhanced by a truly remarkable score from award-winning and critically acclaimed composer Craig Armstrong. After gaining the attention of film-goers everywhere for his work on the revolutionary WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO + JULIET with internationally acclaimed director Baz Luhrmann, Armstrong re-teamed with Luhrmann on the groundbreaking musical MOULIN ROUGE and was showered with multiple awards including AFI's Composer of the Year, a Golden Globe for Best Original Score of the Year and a BAFTA for Achievement in Film Music. Mr. Armstrong has also won a Grammy for his score in the Oscar-winning bio-pic RAY. His film work also includes ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE, Oliver Stone's WORLD TRADE CENTER, the holiday hit LOVE ACTUALLY, the thriller THE BONE COLLECTOR, and more. He has worked with a wide variety of popular and classical artists ranging from U2 and Madonna to the late Luciano Pavarotti. In addition, Mr. Armstrong has recorded five solo albums and worked with many of the world's greatest symphonies, including the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and the Royal Shakespeare Company.
    In 2007, Craig Armstrong recorded his first Classical record for EMI Classics France with the BBC Symphony Orchestra for release in 2008 which includes a violin concerto for Clio Gould. Mr. Armstrong also continues teaching as visiting professor at the Royal Academy of Music London.

He now brings his considerable talents to the newest release from Marvel Studios.

A moving and heart-breaking score, this soundtrack also features the memorable music that accompanies the films eye-popping fights and jaw-dropping climax.

In addition to the these all-new original compositions from Mr. Armstrong, who studied composition and piano at the Royal Academy of Music London, this score contains a treasured piece from the Hulk's history: "The Lonely Man" theme as interpreted by the legendary composer. Originally used in the popular television show, this song harkens back to the conflict and isolation felt by the film's central hero, a theme echoed throughout the Hulk's 40-year history.

A popular character in comic books, television and now film, The Incredible Hulk stands poised to smash his way into the box office this summer. As Marvel's Super Hero films continue to break movie-going records, this action thriller is poised to continue that trend, with stunning visual effects, powerful performances from its star-studded cast, and a sweeping score that will stay with you long after you see the film. "
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    "A moving and heart-breaking score, this soundtrack also features the memorable music that accompanies the films eye-popping fights and jaw-dropping climax".

Is this from Varese's editor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    probably heh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    "A moving and heart-breaking score, this soundtrack also features the memorable music that accompanies the films eye-popping fights and jaw-dropping climax".

Is this from Varese's editor?

biggrin

"legendary composer" shocked dizzy, I like Armstrong but.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That comment wasn't referred to Armstrong but to Joseph Harnell who wrote the original solemn piano theme for 'the incredible hulk''s loneliness which IS indeed very well known and somewhat legendary and it will also appear in the movie too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    That comment wasn't referred to Armstrong but to Joseph Harnell who wrote the original solemn piano theme for 'the incredible hulk''s loneliness which IS indeed very well known and somewhat legendary and it will also appear in the movie too.

"as interpreted by the legendary composer" , and Armstrong is "interpreting" that theme so it's him that's being referred to.

Now if it had said "legendary theme" cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah. Maybe it was lost somewhere in the lines indeed? 'Cause there's no possible way they referred to CRAIG ARMSTRONG as legendary? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah. Maybe it was lost somewhere in the lines indeed? 'Cause there's no possible way they referred to CRAIG ARMSTRONG as legendary? confused

Yeah, there's a fuk up there.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Just visited the main site for "The Incredible Hulk," and listened to a couple samples, and a couple questions came up:

That little 3/4 note main theme/motif at the home page sounds very familiar to something else I've heard before and I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyone else feel the same way when they hear it?

Also, when you go to the Navigate symbol, then go to the "story" part of the site, the music that's playing contains a small 4 note guitar lick when the sound sample loops every couple of seconds that I know I've heard before somewhere else. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    And just by the samples I can tell this score will blow Iron Man's out of the water. So sad as Iron Man was such a good movie (I finally saw it) and deserved a much better score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    EnemyToo wrote

That little 3/4 note main theme/motif at the home page sounds very familiar to something else I've heard before and I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyone else feel the same way when they hear it?

Also, when you go to the Navigate symbol, then go to the "story" part of the site, the music that's playing contains a small 4 note guitar lick when the sound sample loops every couple of seconds that I know I've heard before somewhere else. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

In the homepage, you're hearing Joe Harnell's Lonely Man theme from the TV serie.

In the story page, the guitar stuff is from Man On Fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    EnemyToo wrote
    And just by the samples I can tell this score will blow Iron Man's out of the water. So sad as Iron Man was such a good movie (I finally saw it) and deserved a much better score.

I thought the score was perfect for the movie.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    lp wrote
    EnemyToo wrote

In the homepage, you're hearing Joe Harnell's Lonely Man theme from the TV serie.

Ah, that's why I've heard it before. It sounded so familiar. Thanks

So the guitar work (since it's from Man on Fire)........it's just temp them?? Or perhaps they licensed it?

Also- I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on Iron Man. The score was horrible, and I didn't think it worked well in the movie at all. It was distracting to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

So much for the samples being Armstrong's wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    EnemyToo wrote

Also- I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on Iron Man. The score was horrible, and I didn't think it worked well in the movie at all. It was distracting to me.

This score was basically a bunch of bull. No need to compare it with anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    EnemyToo wrote

This score was basically a bunch of bull. No need to compare it with anything else.

It worked well in the movie. John Debney couldn't have done any better. Moving on!!!

I think that the loops on the website is from the score. It is known that they're using the Lonely Man theme in the movie so it's not surprising to hear it there.

Regarding the guitar stuff, I was just watching CSI: Miami and they were using the same guitar notes (with different percussion backings) for an establishing shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    EnemyToo wrote

It worked well in the movie. John Debney couldn't have done any better. Moving on!!!

MMmmkay
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I think a huge orchestral score a la Debney wouldn´t have served the movie as well. There is a lot of energy coming from that testosterony score. I love Debney´s music, but for Iron Man, what we got worked better.

I think Armstrong is absolutely capable of mixing styles as needed. The more I hear about this movie, the more excitement breaks... through... oh... my... what´s... happennnngggg
    think green ----> crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edward Norton slant
    Liv Tyler love
    Tim Roth punk
    William Hurt cry
    Craig Armstrong confused
    CGI Hulk rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    William Hurt cry

confused Where´s the problem?

Craig Armstrong confused

Strange choice, but who knows...?

CGI Hulk rolleyes

So you would actually prefer a real guy with latex muscles? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

So you would actually prefer a real guy with latex muscles? shocked