• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Someone said in a post they thought they saw a Hollywood Reporter magazine piece saying he was scoring "The Incredible Hulk". I am trying to varify that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    Yep, Mikael confirmed it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Most awesome news! Can't wait to hear that!!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Most awesome news! Can't wait to hear that!!!

Didn't you forget the smilies? Armstrong for "The Incredible Hulk" is a bad joke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, Armstrong should be great for this. I wonder if this film will have any relation whatsoever to the Ang Lee film, and if so - would Elfman's excellent theme be referenced?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    There will probably be no connection at all. After all, they opted for a completely different cast & crew for a second Hulk film, because Ang Lee's version didn't do well at the box office at all. That's why they'll present this as a "totally different imagining of a Hulk movie", with also, apparantly, a completely different kind of composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Armstrong hasn't done many action scores, so I think it's an interesting choice. Let's hope this won't turn out the same way Tomb Raider did, though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008 edited
    There will probably be no connection at all. After all, they opted for a completely different cast & crew for a second Hulk film, because Ang Lee's version didn't do well at the box office at all. That's why they'll present this as a "totally different imagining of a Hulk movie", with also, apparantly, a completely different kind of composer.

OK. I just saw Lee's HULK again the other day, btw, and it's really a great film. Somewhat experimental in various areas and more dialogue-driven than other superhero films, yet still molded firmly within the mainstream Hollywood universe. I wish more superhero films were done that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I thought the first Hulk was plodding, boring and the last sequence with Nick Nolte's scenery chewing hit a new low. It felt every bit like the 2 hours and 15 minutes it was. The experimental comic book cutaways were more distracting than anything. Heck, even Elfman's score was anomynous and didn't distinguish itself.

Armstrong is an interesting choice, score-wise. Should his score not get rejected, his score will probably sound a lot better than what Ramin Djawadi is cooking up for Iron Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the first HULK was good only for laughing your ass off hehe
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree that the ending of the film was a bit sudden without a proper setup, but the second time I saw it, things became much clearer. It's one of the best superhero films in a long, long time and SEVERELY misunderstood by comic book fans who only want the same, standardized "action package" every single time. Elfman's score was anything but anonymous (although there were a couple of instances where it was mixed too low, like the scene where Hulk is smashing the lab). That descending motif, those Danna-inspired world music vibes (some of them by Danna himself, I think), the fierce action music....brilliant!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Danna score was indeed very, very good. I quite enjoy listening to it to date.
  2. moviescore wrote
    Armstrong hasn't done many action scores, so I think it's an interesting choice. Let's hope this won't turn out the same way Tomb Raider did, though!

I'm not sure that this is going to work. I wouldn't associate Armstrong with this type of movie. But, it's a good opportunity to show us what he can do with this type of movie and I look forward to hearing what he offers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    Rosebud by Winona: Pre-Order It Now

Winona is the latest project from Craig Armstrong and collaborator Scott Fraser, a project that saw them dust off their eye-watering collection of vintage synthesizers and set about making widescreen, minor-key masterpieces and glacial electronica.

Winona's anticipated debut album, Rosebud, is released digitally in the UK on Monday, March 10th, but you can pre-order your copy now, right here.

The album has already received a host of fantastic reviews, here are just couple:

'... plenty of enchanting piano hooks and chords ('Max'), looping melodies ('De Nada') and cosmic synths ('Winona Falls'), it's Armstrong at his best...'
    4/5 Mixmag

'...haunting electro-orchestral backdrops to cavorting lovers, liars and losers... need a new Sunday morning coming down track? Winona's your girl'
    4/5 Attitude

Get your pre-order in here and on Monday all you have to do is download this beautiful album.

UK-ONLY PRE-ORDER:

http://www.7digital.com/artists/winona/rosebud/

Please note: The pre-order is only available to UK residents. If you're not in the UK we hope to bring you news soon on how to order the album. Thank you for your patience.

On other news:
    Craig's Opera, Gesualdo, Is A Hit

Craig Armstrong's and Ian Rankin's mini-opera, Gesualdo, debuted at Glasgow's OranMor last Friday and was hailed a great success in a review by the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh … era103.xml

In the run-up to the five performances of the collaboration, both The Times and the Telegraph covered Five:15, set up by the Scottish Opera. You can read the full Telegraph article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh … kin121.xml

There are only two dates left to catch Gesualdo on stage: Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th March at The Hub in Edinburgh. Tickets are available through Hub Tickets by calling 0131 473 2000 or by visiting www.hubtickets.co.uk.

Best wishes,

CraigArmstrong.com
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Thor wrote
    I agree that the ending of the film was a bit sudden without a proper setup, but the second time I saw it, things became much clearer. It's one of the best superhero films in a long, long time and SEVERELY misunderstood by comic book fans who only want the same, standardized "action package" every single time. Elfman's score was anything but anonymous (although there were a couple of instances where it was mixed too low, like the scene where Hulk is smashing the lab). That descending motif, those Danna-inspired world music vibes (some of them by Danna himself, I think), the fierce action music....brilliant!

Ehh, I've seen Hulk numerous times and it's a missed opportunity, both musically and film-wise. I'm not saying it should've been ultra-dark like Batman Begins or popcorn fluff like Spider-Man but the movie was just one big, boring setup with hardly any payoff. Good acting, but the plotting and script left a lot to be desired. I hope the reboot balances a good story with the action, but it was originally written as a sequel to the first film.

I wonder what Danna's score for Hulk sounded like... care to elaborate on it, Demetris?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Matt C wrote
    Thor wrote

Ehh, I've seen Hulk numerous times and it's a missed opportunity, both musically and film-wise. I'm not saying it should've been ultra-dark like Batman Begins or popcorn fluff like Spider-Man but the movie was just one big, boring setup with hardly any payoff. Good acting, but the plotting and script left a lot to be desired. I hope the reboot balances a good story with the action, but it was originally written as a sequel to the first film.

I wonder what Danna's score for Hulk sounded like... care to elaborate on it, Demetris?

I believe there's some "residue" of Danna's score in Elfman's score, the ethnic "middle Eastern" stuff.

The new film climax's with a slam down between the Hulk and his old foe ( well, 'old foe' in the comics I should say ) The Abomination, played in his human form by Tim Roth, The Abomination is even stronger than the Hulk.

I can't wait! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. EDIT -- never mind this:

"Is there ay news on his score?"

I just found:
    April 2008 - in Glasgow and Seattle orchestrating and recording Craig Armstrong's score to the movie "The Incredible Hulk" for Marvel Pictures.

So I guess in a month or two the CD will be annouced.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008
    I hope he delivers for Hulk. He seems like an odd choice, but then again, I'm willing to give him a chance because he has produced some wonderful dramatic music in the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, same here. It's certainly an odd territory - judging from what he wrote so far at least, but i have confidence in his skills and am deeply interested to hear what he'll come up with!
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    I have faith in him. Much more than Djawadi and Remote Control (ugh, if Craig Armstrong was hired for this then why on earth wasn't Debney hired or Iron Man? Some thing's I'll never understand).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Just wondering what his The Incredible Hulk score will be like?

Armstrong says he was a massive Marvel comics fan, does that mean he'll give this score something a bit special?

I've also heard that Joe Harnell's lovely "Lonely Man" theme appears in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I liked the way the first movie was artistically done very much, but i had serious problems with the CGI Hulk. Not that I think it would have been better to put a man in a suit, CGI is the way to do this, but it just wasn´t done well enough to be convincing. From trailers, I think the new one looks seriously better in that area, so I am looking forward to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I liked the way the first movie was artistically done very much, but i had serious problems with the CGI Hulk. Not that I think it would have been better to put a man in a suit, CGI is the way to do this, but it just wasn´t done well enough to be convincing. From trailers, I think the new one looks seriously better in that area, so I am looking forward to it.

agree with you Ralph, the new CGI Hulk is a big improvement. A Bodybuilder in green paint just doesn't cut it anymore and anyone who knows the comics was well aware even way back then that big Lou Ferrigno was a midget compared to the powerhouse portrayed in the comics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008 edited
    Details on the score-release of The Incredible Hulk are on Amazon and, well, I gotta say... it's a wower.

http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-S … amp;sr=1-3

Cover art:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg

TRACKLISTING:

Disc: 1
    1. The Arctic
    2. Main Title
    3. Rocinha Favela
    4. A Drop of Blood
    5. The Flower
    6. Ross' Team
    7. Mr. Blue
    8. Favela Escape
    9. It Was Banner
    10. That Is The Target
    11. Bruce Goes Home (with "The Lonely Man" performed by Craig Armstrong, written by Joseph Harnell (ASCAP))
    12. Ross And Blonsky
    13. Return To Culver University
    14. The Lab
    15. Reunion
    16. The Data/The Vial
    17. They're Here
    18. Give Him Everything You've Got
    19. Bruce Can't Stay
    20. First Injection
    21. Is it safe?
    22. Hulk Theme

Disc: 2
    1. Saved From The Flames
    2. Grotto
    3. Arrival At The Motel
    4. I Can't
    5. Abomination Alley
    6. Bruce Found
    7. Bruce Looks For The Data
    8. NYC Cab Ride
    9. The Mirror
    10. Sterns' Lab
    11. Bruce Darted
    12. I Want It, I Need It
    13. Blonsky Transforms
    14. Bruce Must Do It
    15. Harlem Brawl
    16. Are They Dead?
    17. Hulk Smash
    18. Hulk And Betty
    19. A Tear
    20. Who's We?
    21. The Necklace
    22. Bruce And Betty
    23. Hulk Theme (End Credits)

That's right, apparantly the score will be released right away as a two disc (complete?) score. Could this mean they're incredibly confident about the quality of the music? That Craig really did all he could, since he's such a fan? That must be it, right? So now the question is: will the score live up to this expectation? Is it a good solid score during the entire running time? We'll probably know come June 10th, when the score sees its release.
  5. JaBlonsky Transforms? Is this a joke?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    JaBlonsky Transforms? Is this a joke?

Hehe, no, Tim Roths characters name actually is Emil Blonsky. And he transforms into that big meany. So, no hint as to what to expect from the music wink

Btw, the official site, incrediblehulk.com, already has a snipped (on a loop) of the score.
  6. And I like it. smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008
    I'm looking forward to this. It might be my first time hearing a score by him.