• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013 edited
    Dunno if this has been discussed or mentioned before , sorry if it was but is anyone here going to this
    event ? It's in Antwerp on February 2 , 2014 at the Stadsschouwburg Antwerpen .
    The European Philharmonic is gonna perform music from Zorro , Robin Hood Prince of thieves , Batman , Lord of the Rings , Gladiator etc ... I'm going , so if other members are interested , maybe we can meet up ... wink

Program

20th Century Fox Opening
    Zorro (James Horner) Main Theme
    Moment for Morricone (Ennio Morricone) The good, the bad and the ugly
    Moment for Morricone (Ennio Morricone) Once upon a time in the west
    Robin Hood (Michael Kamen) Prince of thieves
    Love Story (Francis Lai) Main Theme
    Harry Potter (John Williams) Hedwig's Theme
    Batman (Danny Elfman) Medley

Pauze

Lord Of The Rings (Johan De Mey) Gandalf
    Gladiator (Hans Zimmer) Barbarian Horde
    El Cid (Miklos Rozsa) The Barn (love theme)
    Basis Instinct (Jerry Goldsmith) Main Theme
    Hatari (Henri Mancini) Baby Elephant Walk
    Breakfast at Tiffany's (Henri Mancini) Moon River
    The Pink Panther (Henri Mancini) Theme
    James Bond (Monty Norman) Main Theme (Dr. No)
    James Bond (John Barry) Thunderball
    James Bond (George Martin) Live and let die
    James Bond (John Barry) Goldfinger
    Symphonic Marches (John Williams) Raiders March for Indiana Jones
    Symphonic Marches (John Williams) Imperial March for Star Wars
    Symphonic Marches (John Williams) Olympic Fanfara and theme

Ticket prices :

Categorie 1 € 39,30
    Categorie 2 € 34,30
    Categorie 3 € 28,30
    Categorie 4 € 23,30
    Golden Seat € 44,30
    Dinner Seats € 79,30
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013
    OHHH! Me wants to come so much!!!! But I doubt it if I'll manage to... sad
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote

James Bond John Barry Main Theme (Dr. No)

Do the organisers not know that Monty's eyes are everywhere? They can expect a lawsuit very soon wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote

James Bond (John Barry) Live and let die

...in Paul McCartney's dreams.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    I know it's a few Months off but I hope you'll give us a report Eric, you don't frequent these here parts enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013 edited
    Will certainly do Tim wink
    I'll try and show up more here as well ...
    I do miss you guys and girls you know and the discussions ... smile
    But sometimes 'stuff' happens in your private life and I had more then my share these last few years ...
    I felt down for a long time as well ...
    Let's hope it's uphill from now on ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013 edited
    Glad to hear it is better with you Eric. Hope all is well!

Not sure if I'll be there at the concert. I've heard those pieces several times already. But perhaps when there's a gathering before I'll come down to Antwerp. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013 edited
    Thanks Bregt ... wink I'm all in for a gathering beforehand , so if someone's interested in a good meal , a drink (or two) , and a hopefully good concert sign up here or drop me a pm ... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    Operation Movieclassics is a go at 15.00 today !
    Can't wait ... smile
  1. hope you enjoy it Eric, the line up seems to promise a wonderful time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014 edited
    Well , I just got back from a wonderful afternoon filled with movie music and I loved every minute of it ! smile
    The European Philharmonia is a brand new orchestra and was founded only last year .
    It's main purpose was to again bring classical music closer to the people .
    It's the personal vision of conducter Walter Proost to bring THE music that people want to hear mixed in
    with a surprise here and there so the audience can discover something new every time .

The concert started with the 20th Century Fox Fanfare followed by the Main Theme of The Mask of Zorro + Stealing The Map . Those were great renditions of the Horner material and I was getting all excited ... lol ...
    Oh yes , there was a screen behind the orchestra so we could see clips from the films as well , an added bonus I think . Next up was a mix from The Good , The Bad & The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West
    by Ennio Morricone . The orchestra did their own take on it and the sound was quite different but not bad .
    Then it was time for Michael Kamen's Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves which I absolutely loved . When those trumpets started I had goosebumps ! Just fantastic ! Then we had the wonderful Main Theme from Love Story composed by Francis Lai . As most of you know the theme features the piano and a Roland synth was used instead of a real piano which in my opinion sounds warmer and better , though I like synths but not for bringing this kind of music . It was played very well , but the sound wasn't what it supposed to be in my eyes (or ears) . After Love Story we went into the magical world of Harry Potter and Hedwig's Theme composed by John Williams was played . Then before the intermission we dived into the dark world of Batman & Batman Returns composed by Danny Elfman ...

After the break the orchestra kicked off with Gandalf composed by Johan De Mey from The Lord Of The Rings symphony . Then came the stampeding Barbarian Horde from Gladiator composed by Hans Zimmer . Then we had The Barn (love theme) from El Cid composed by Miklos Rozsa . The violin solo in that was absolutely wonderfully played by a member of the orchestra . Super ! A well deserved bravo went through the hall . Then we got to the Main Theme from Basic Instinct composed by Jerry Goldsmith followed by a joyful Baby Elephant Walk composed by Henry Mancini from the movie Hatari . smile Then we saw Audrey Hepburn on screen and yes , Breakfast at Tiffany's was next with a beautiful rendition of Moon River again by Henry Mancini followed by the famous Pink Panther Theme . Then we dropped into the world of the most famous secret agent of them all ... James Bond ! The orchestra played a great medley from Dr. No (Main Theme) , Thunderball , Live and Let Die , and Goldfinger . The grand finale was for composer John Williams with the Raiders March , from Raiders of the Lost Ark , the Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back and the Olympic Fanfare ! We applauded and we got an encore but sadly the orchestra played the Olympic Fanfare again which was a bit of a letdown . I was hoping for something else ...

I had a great afternoon , I enjoyed the music and off course there were little faults here and there but I'm not nitpicking . It's a rather small orchestra (about 50 members I think) so it's no London Symphony Orchestra and Walter Proost is an absolutely enthusiastic conductor ! He gives everything he's got ... smile
    I hope to see and hear more of the European Philharmonia in the near future ...