• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013 edited
    Has anyone else played them? They're some of my favorite games of all time and perhaps some of my favorite stories in any medium. Specifically I would like to discuss with a fellow film music fan the use of music in Bioshock Infinite...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I´ve only played Infinite, but have been very pleased and impressed by any aspect of it. I wrote a little bit about at the Recently Played Games topic last week:

"I recently finished Bioshock: Infinite, which was probably the most intense setting and story experience I´ve ever had with a videogame. Being a fan of the classic first Max Payne game, B:I shares its merits of mixing a tense and mesmerising setting with a fantastic story that will eventually draw you in no matter what, combined with lots of action. The city of Columbia has been wonderfully designed, and the backstory is both very complex and enthralling; make sure you try to collect and view/listen to all those voxophones and mini-movies. Also see to it that nobody spoils the ending for you: It has two climaxes; one is the motherload of epic battles, the other a gripping story-telling conclusion that will literally take you by the hand to explain to you what the actual frak happened there. The score is an intense mix of classic songs, wonderful quiet cues, and action tracks that will curl up your toe nails. By the time you´ve finished the credits you´ll be floored. Promise."

What I´d like to add is that I played the "Elisabeth" track whenever I finished a gaming session. It just makes such a great end credits theme that captures the spirit of the game quite well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013
    Its not a score thing, but I love the way they wove the classic hymn "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" through the game; from the gorgeous yet vaguely creepy choir music when you first enter Columbia, to the little vignette in the cellar where you play the guitar while Elizabeth sings to comfort the scared child, to the end credits with a surprisingly emotional lead vocal performance by the actress who plays Elizabeth. Its amazing how well the lyrics fit the plot of the game, to the extent that I wonder which came first, did they shape the story around the song or did they just happen to find the perfect song?

Another thing I loved was the jig that the band plays in Battleship Bay right after you rescue Elizabeth and you find her dancing with carefree abandon, in an almost direct quote of the scene from Firefly which has a similarly recently rescued River finding the same joy in music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    What I´d like to add is that I played the "Elisabeth" track whenever I finished a gaming session. It just makes such a great end credits theme that captures the spirit of the game quite well.

I didn't get the soundtrack until after I finished the game but that is one of my favorite cues! Schyman's scores are very light on melodic content but when he does venture there the result is so gorgeous that I wish he could do a proper big film score someday, or at least a game with a little more musical freedom.