• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mark McKenzie just posted on Facebook that his next score will be for MAX AND ME, another animated film from Mexico. It's will be recorded at Abbey Road. Sounds like he's got a good budget for the music, and given how the last animated film score he composed is so excellent, July 2016 can't come soon enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    I've been looking forward to MAX AND ME for a long, long time. Should be another brilliant effort from a composer who has yet to write a bad score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Jon Broxton wrote
    I barely understood a word of that.

Yeah, you're not the only one. Some of it is written badly while other parts of just poorly assembled. It's messy and desperately needs to be cleaned up.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015
    Look who's talking, Justin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I barely understood a word of that.

Yeah, you're not the only one. Some of it is written badly while other parts of just poorly assembled. It's messy and desperately needs to be cleaned up.

lol

Still plenty of ammo in your glass cage I see.

Must be terrible when it rains.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. No, actually it's not an equal comparison at all. Thomas' review is full of of what I'm tempted to call Engrish. I had my mistakes in that review, but it's not even remotely the same playing ground.

In the review we have an incorrect word uses making a sentence have to be read twice toi understand, odd references to the score by the reviewer that question the reviewer's own opinion, sentences a little askewed, an incomplete setence that was obviously meant to connect to something but it doesn't, and imporper punctuation use (whi9ch could have been forgiven if not done repeatedly). I had to re-read sentences again and again to try and make out what he meant vs. what he typed.

Instead of pointing to me, how about we point to the countless reviews that do make sense here, at MMUK, at FilmTracks, at Movie-Wave, etc.? By any of thsoe alone you can see something is clearly wrong with this McKenzie review.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. That may or may not be so. I am aware that many native speakers of the English language are somewhat bothered by their language being simplified or even damaged when used as the international lingua franca. Still I would suggest not to point at mistakes that people make for whom English is not the first language. I strongly suspect that there are many potential partakers who are lurking around these boards that are afraid to come into the open for fear of embarrassing themselves linguistically. I think that is a pity.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    No, actually it's not an equal comparison at all. Thomas' review is full of of what I'm tempted to call Engrish. I had my mistakes in that review, but it's not even remotely the same playing ground.

Oh, both reviews are definitely in the same universe. Actually, I'd say they are close neighbours. At least Thomas has an excuse. English is not his first language.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    In the review we have an incorrect word uses making a sentence have to be read twice toi understand, odd references to the score by the reviewer that question the reviewer's own opinion, sentences a little askewed, an incomplete setence that was obviously meant to connect to something but it doesn't, and imporper punctuation use (whi9ch could have been forgiven if not done repeatedly). I had to re-read sentences again and again to try and make out what he meant vs. what he typed.

Instead of pointing to me, how about we point to the countless reviews that do make sense here, at MMUK, at FilmTracks, at Movie-Wave, etc.? By any of thsoe alone you can see something is clearly wrong with this McKenzie review.
  5. I always felt that Justin's Grammar Nazi approach to posts is something quite wildly ironic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
  6. That said, he may be dyslexic of course and then we can't judge his typos that badly.

On the other hand, it's not just the typos. Justin's style is plain atrocious, so it's more than just that. Judging others' reviews while not being able to conjure two coherently built sentences is really... ironic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suspect Justin's issues go well beyond dyslexia. Psychologists would have fucking field day in his guess the score thread.
  7. His dislike for Hans Zimmer also goes beyond reasonable including failing to properly spell his name everytime (if it was dyslexic, that's one, but constantly writing Hansi is just disrespectful to the man).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure Hansi...HANS cries himself to sleep every time Justin misspells his name.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marc Shaiman did it first.
  8. Not sure... I think it was before that Goldfinger parody.

Martijn wrote
    I'm sure Hansi...HANS cries himself to sleep every time Justin misspells his name.

Maybe not, but I just dislike when people can't discern a man from his work. Especially since I learnt better myself. I know it's hard to do, but I guess we grow up all our lives.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015
    Steven wrote

I'd forgotten this. It's brilliant! That tune is based on something though, I can hum it in my head but I don't know the title?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

That is VERY funny!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Steven wrote

No, I got it from that song number.

That may or may not be so. I am aware that many native speakers of the English language are somewhat bothered by their language being simplified or even damaged when used as the international lingua franca. Still I would suggest not to point at mistakes that people make for whom English is not the first language. I strongly suspect that there are many potential partakers who are lurking around these boards that are afraid to come into the open for fear of embarrassing themselves linguistically. I think that is a pity.

Volker

You know, Volker, the issue isn't whether a person from another part of the world had good written English; we've all seen bad English at one point or another. The issue isn't that he or she makes spelling errors (are we twelve years old or can we move on and be adults about it?). The issue isn't even just to point it out and make fun of someone because of their inability. The issue is that when it was pointed out earlier, instead of addressing it or asking for some help to clean it up, the reviewer doubled down on it and bafflingly said McKenzie had no problem with it. Which, by the way, makes me think McKenzie has some problems for a grown American adult when he thinks that was fine, or is lying and being nice (which I've often seen a composer do).

Jon was right. Now instead of tripling down on it, ask for some help. This is a current score and it is still being talked about and therefore likely to get clicks from people interested in the review. It's not like somebody reviewed "The Happets in the Kingdom of the Sun", which next to nobody is going to read.

If you bash into a telephone poll with your car and people point out you have, don't say the guy standing next to your car thinks it looks fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As I said to Jon before and will repeat here: when you start PAYING Thomas you get to have a say in how and what he writes. Until then you may certainly state you don't like or enjoy his style, but don't be surprised if no one actually cares.
  10. What he did there isn't style. Otherwise THSI is clearly shows I have style.

Does a person have to be paid in order t owant to write something comprehensible? Hell, none of us do to post here, yet we not only try but also like to point out other's errors. Maybe when somebody, for example, points out a spelling error I make, I'll tell lay them a line about not getting paid to post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We're not really getting the vibe you are particularly bothered by ANY kind of feedback, Justin.
    So you're pretty much making my point FOR me! wink
  11. Well, for starters -- I don't need feedback. Everybody keeps pointing in every other direction and making excuses other than address the problem: the review. And again, another excuse made. I bet we've not exhausted those yet.

I don't need feedback, you don't need feedback, nobody but Thomas does. But oh my goodness -- if if's and but's were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas we would have!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, let me try again, as clearly as possible:
    You have an opinion about Thomas' reviews.
    No one cares.
    Jon has an opinion about Thomas' reviews.
    No one is bothered.

You have stated your opinion. Jon has stated his opinion.
    We thank you for your opinion.

And life goes on.
  12. I didn't want to be negative about Mark McKenzie's new score. But I didn't like it at all sad

Dragonheart: Battle for the Heartfire
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  13. Dragonheart has had 3 sequels? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    Dragonheart has had 3 sequels? shocked

yup, Direct to video or DVD fare

Luckily Mark was kind to me and appreciated my honesty. smile
  15. He's one of the nicest guys ever. I wish he had a full orchestra and unlimited budget on these last two Dragonheart films, but I think he did well on this newest one given the constraints he had. I think he did well choosing synthetic sounds that don't sound synthetic, and I appreciate the multi-thematic approach he used. I seem to like it more than most, though. I may just be really biased towards McKenzie and listen to all of his music through rose-tinted headphones.
  16. christopher wrote
    He's one of the nicest guys ever. I wish he had a full orchestra and unlimited budget on these last two Dragonheart films, but I think he did well on this newest one given the constraints he had. I think he did well choosing synthetic sounds that don't sound synthetic, and I appreciate the multi-thematic approach he used. I seem to like it more than most, though. I may just be really biased towards McKenzie and listen to all of his music through rose-tinted headphones.

I'm biased as well towards Mark's music. But I couldn't ignore the immense difference between the second and fourth Dragonheart score. Plus it barely contained Mark's signature themes or melodies. Hell he did darker movies before and they never sounded so flat. So I couldn't enjoy this score, even though I wanted to with all my heart