• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Terraforming cue. It's destroying the world engine.

I will vehemently defend the cue Flight, on album and in film. The scene is not as much a "Making of Superman" scene as, in Snyder's take, Clark Kent accepting Kal-El. It's the Kal-El theme that soars when he flies over the planet. Superman thematic statement is a literally failed one, he can't be Superman unless he accepts who he REALLY is. And I think the thematic statements there are very apt and to me it was the best moment of a very flawed score.

Contrary to Martijn's opinion, I believe Man of Steel is a very flawed execution of Hans' strongest musical concept for quite a while. The score shoots itself in the foot in terms of the structurally irrelevant action music, which Martijn aptly described in his review and by underplaying (ironically) Zod's three-dimensionality (the villain's flaw isn't as much in the performance, which is amazing, as it is in the writing, basically the movie is a speech after speech after speech and then suddenly destruction) the three dimensions by resorting to an evil faux-fanfare. For a composer who is a master of the villain theme (Broken Arrow - yes!, Hannibal...., Crimson Tide, Gladiator, The Peacemaker, The Rock and many others, most of them playing with the three-dimensional villains, except Broken Arrow, which is not far from a Commando-type bad guy, all these characters can be even, to an extent, understood), this was my biggest disappointment with the score.

On the other levels? Some points I'd like to make and defend:

1. Earth and Krypton have separate-yet-the-same-motifs which nicely plays with the identity issue at heart of the movie: Krypton is minor-key, Earth is major-key.
    2. Giving each of Superman's identities a theme: Kal-El has a theme, which is more-less pronounced quite often and Clark Kent has a theme, developing from the Earth motif. The element of genesis in the Superman identity issue is an important one and having that material stemming quite directly from the four-note motifs for the separate environments was an inspired choice.
    3. The fact that the Superman develops in key moments, twice from the Krypton motif (the beginning of the film and the birth scene hums the beginning of the Superman theme, THEN the flight cue is a failed attempt, because the first flight is a failure, it just mimics the action both in literal and subtextual terms, full statement at the end - he IS Superman, alright).

So I would say that structurally and melodically it was the best concept Hans had for years, with the film's theme striking home with him, perhaps even being the reason for him to take on the project (he has been a foreigner, first in the UK, then in the US, for most of his life), but the execution, especially in the form of very tired-sounding action music (not just the mix) and a misinformed theme for the villain makes the score such a letdown and, quite often, stick out like a sore thumb in the movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013
    Superman Schmooperman.

Tonight on BBC 2 at 12.10am is the 1958 DRACULA starring Christopher Lee cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Superman Schmooperman.

Indeed. Once you think the topic is over and done with, it rears its head again!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Except I neither mentioned Williams nor themes.
    I'm addressing a completely different observation, which I happen to think is germane to the Superman mythos.

Will address (oh yes, I will!) them again later.
    Cooking a banquet now!
    lick punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A banquet eh? Whatcha cooking and for how many?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Superman Schmooperman.

Indeed. Once you think the topic is over and done with, it rears its head again!

To be fair Martijn brought this up because he's only just seen it and because he and I are well versed and entrenched in the two major super-universes his is one of only a handful of opinions I'll really take note on. ( the others being some very knowledgeable members at FSM )

No offences intended smile
  2. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Superman Schmooperman.

Skyfall.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. james horner
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013 edited
    Spielberg's "comedy" 1941 is on some station right now. Now I know it was bad even though I've not seen it for decades but seeing it again is painful, I'm kind of torturing myself to see if anything good or "funny" happens????
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Superman Schmooperman.

To be fair Martijn brought this up because he's only just seen it and because he and I are well versed and entrenched in the two major super-universes his is one of only a handful of opinions I'll really take note on. ( the others being some very knowledgeable members at FSM )

No offences intended smile

But I'm outraged! OUTRAGED!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Spielberg's "comedy" 1941 is on some station right now. Now I know it was bad even though I've not seen it for decades but seeing it again is painful, I'm kind of torturing myself to see if anything good or "funny" happens????

Appalling.

I've had enough and just switched to CROCODILE DUNDEE where I got my first laugh within seconds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Appalling.

Check out Temple of Doom, it's marginally better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Appalling.

Check out Temple of Doom, it's marginally better.

Steady now. Have you seen 1941?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    1941 is a disaster! Frenetic and over-the-top. Makes TEMPLE OF DOOM seem like Tarkovskij in comparison. Even the score is too rambunctious for my taste (but it's got a killer march or two).

Of course, I still own the DVD....says something about how much of a Spielberg nutcase I am.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

No, I haven't actually. Although I am, now, morbidly curious. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, I haven't actually. Although I am, now, morbidly curious. biggrin

You'd never have said what you said if you had. dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah. Gotcha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    1941 is an insane film from a film maker who was under a lot of pressure to make things bigger and better than Jaws and Close Encounters. While the film is a mess it does have it's moments. Wild Bill's intro is hilarious. Williams score fits like a glove. The Swing, Swing, Swing sequence is beautiful choreographed. The miniature work is phenomenal. The cinematography is also excellent. Robert Stack is great in the movie, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Although I am, now, morbidly curious. biggrin

Believe me, you wouldn't stick it out for very long. There's a very good reason why this film tanked despite a great comedy cast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, have you heard Man of Steel on album?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It seems to me that, after reading Martijn's review, he probably bought the Deluxe Edition, which contains 30 more minutes of religious music of Christonyte.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christ almighty there's a deluxe version too? want!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But you've got the deluxe version of The Desolation of Smuuuaaaag to listen to first!
  4. ARE YOU A GOD!?

Just saw "Ghostbusters" on TV. God, that film still rocks like nothing else! Found out I still know every line by heart. Nice little theme by Bernstein. But what really drives the soundtrack is that wonderful title song.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    Christ almighty there's a deluxe version too? want!

Wait a minute, you're saying you didn't know about this 2-disc edition? :/

By the way, it's well worth the price. 'Arcade' is an awesome full suite of the Villain theme and one of my guilty pleasures of the year. Better than The Lone Ranger's Overture.
  5. Just saw "Ghostbusters" on TV. God, that film still rocks like nothing else! Found out I still know every line by heart. Nice little theme by Bernstein. But what really drives the soundtrack is that wonderful title song.

You know that title song, was what they settled on, after passing on something like 70 songs, including originals done for the film? There's never been a full list of the artists.

And Don Peake had a helping hand in the song. In fact, if was Bernstein who had inadvertantly got him into scoring (he was called into a Bernstein scoring session to play guitar and he loved it).

He produced it, and said during an interview he helped "conform it" to film 'cause Charles didn't know how. I have no idea what that "conform" means. He played in sessiosn with Charles (as well as other famous singers), so no doubt he also played on the song.

Part 2 of a long itnerview where he talks about a lot of famous songs he played on and famous artists:
    http://knightrideronline.com/news/2009/ … rt_two.php
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. BobdH wrote
    Better than The Lone Ranger's Overture.

Boooo! Hisssss! angry angry angry angry soapbox
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    ARE YOU A GOD!?

Just saw "Ghostbusters" on TV. God, that film still rocks like nothing else! Found out I still know every line by heart. Nice little theme by Bernstein. But what really drives the soundtrack is that wonderful title song.

Brilliant film! Great score and a GREAT song! The second film is highly underrated, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    By the way, it's well worth the price. 'Arcade' is an awesome full suite of the Villain theme and one of my guilty pleasures of the year. Better than The Lone Ranger's Overture.

Nothing in the Man of Steel score is better than anything. FACT!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's not true!

Flight is better than Oil Rig!