• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016 edited
    So I've started watching RED DWARF at last.

I first stumbled across this show in the late 80s, when it aired on cable TV in Norway (Super Channel or Sky Channel, I can't remember). As with DR. WHO, I found it too silly and "cheap" at the time, even if I was just a kid, and decided never to revisit it. Then, after I noticed the series had been revamped in 2012, I decided to give it another go, and work my way from the beginning to the latest incarnations (just like I did with DR. WHO a few years ago, after the 2005 revamp had pulled me into this universe).

Well, it's pretty much as silly and goofy and cheap as I remembered it from my childhood, but at the same time there's something about the atmosphere and the set; the best sitcoms always have that aspect of returning to a familiar place where you know every nook and cranny. And I'm a sucker for 'spaceship' movies and TV shows, even if the production values of this are worse than most.

I also like the fact that they're trying to create a story arc, even if there are elements that aren't well explained or justified.

Anyway, just started the third season. Seven more to go!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016
    While I still enjoy it -and own the full series- it DOES suffer a bit from self-indulgence, especially when an expensive "special effect" had been put in place, so some scenes tend go one for far too long.

Still, I have very good memories of the series from back in the day, and I do still enjoy it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. "Red Dwarf" pretty much sucked for a season or two. It wasn't until sometime in season two it started getting good, then it took off in season three.

Then it slowed down some in season five, then in season six (as I recall) it had this weird drop in writing quality and was kind of hard to get threw, then it picked back up in the last two (orignal) seasons, including a sad and also funny closing.

The "Back to Earth" series did nothing for me.

Season ten was a big let down. Here's hoping season eleven is better.

Special mention to the episodes "Dimension Jump" and "Tikka to Ride" where a budget was given to have an orchestra, so having the orchestra Goodall also did the "Dimension Jump" as well with it, proving two really fine scores. "Dimension Jump" has the wonderful Ace Rimmer theme as well as the big orchestral opening with the infamous Ace Rimmer scenes. "Tikka to Ride" has some wonderful sad music, specially the nearly SFX-free climax.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Up until the motorbike chase scene this film is top notch. The opera scene was beautifully executed, the typical Mission Impossible scene in the water is equal to all the ones that came before it (excellently filmed as well) and the motorbike chase is mindblowing (such amazing adrenaline). The last part is however toooooo freaking long and loses a lot of speed and interest (kept going on and on).

All in all though, still a good film (and yes the music is powerfully mixed in the edit punk )

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. I do like Tom Hollander's bit part as the Prime Minister. But yeah, the first two thirds are a bit more engaging than the finale. And as good as Rebecca Ferguson is in the role, these kind of constantly backstabbing quintuple agent characters always grow a bit tiresome for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016 edited
    Predator 2

My first time seeing this film. I'd always avoided it since it got such a bed rep, and although I agree with the general consensus this is a bad movie, it's also a good bad movie. The dialogue and characters are as cliched and cardboard-like as you're likely to encounter in any 90s action film, ticking just about every well-trodden character trait and one-liner possible within its two hour running time.

Despite all that, I found it extremely entertaining. Great pace, superb cinematography, well choreographed action scenes, a great score and the Predator is, surprisingly given the rest of the characters, treated quite well. The clunky cliched stuff comes off as quite charming in its way, rather than completely ruining the whole thing.

I might actually enjoy this more than the original, simply because there's more going on to keep you interested. The first, though well made, is essentially one long jungle scene.
  4. On my recent re-watch I enjoyed it too, but I still think the first one is ace. Plus it has Arnie spouting numerous one-liners. That alone makes it get top spot. smile

The same for the scores, actually.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2016
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

The best written, the best acted and the best Star Trek film ever made.
  5. Tier 1: TMP, TWOK, TVH

Tier 2: TSFS, TUC, GEN, FC

Tier 3: TFF, INS, NEM

But I enjoy all of them, even the inferior ones are good fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2016
    Speak English, please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2016 edited
    H8TEFUL 8 | quinten tarantino

Good movie. I had quite a bit of fun, especially with Samuel L Jackson and Jennifer Jason Leigh are on screen. But the the middle part is not very exciting, the dialogue is not really going anywhere, there's not much going on either, even though there's a subtle racism issue hinting here and there. One of his weakest films, which does not mean it's bad film, he just made a lot better movies before.

Morricone's music is another star. I didn't like it very much upon hearing the score alone, but in the movie it certainly adds to the suspicion and uneasy atsmosphere. It's a throwback to some of the stylings he used in westerns. Great!

CAROL | todd haynes

A beautiful movie, so gentle and without melodrama. Blanchett is the star, what an actress. Rich people have so much time to do what they want though. wink Saw a video about its special effects, and just like the impressive effects in Zodiac, you wouldn't expect them to be there. tongue Burwell's score leans a bit to Glass here and there (The Hours) but his regonizable style is defenitely present.
    Kazoo
  6. You treat her like a lady and she'll always bring you home.

STAR TREK TNG: Encounter at Farpoint (1987)

I had almost forgotten how much I loved that series. I vividly remember the 16 year old version of myself watching this for the first time with his mouth agape. What a ground braking show this was. Nice to re-encounter it.
    Also a very strong pilot episode. I always thought those 90 minute TNG episodes were better than the cinematic feature films.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. The Walk

A new Zemeckis film is for me always highly anticipated. He is one of my favorite directors. Didn't see this in the threatre, but I bought the film and I'm glad I did. Moreso than a tale of incredible persistence and courage, it's a love letter to those towering twins.

The film is lighthearted in tone and Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives a nuanced performance, his french is pretty good too and he has fun with the part. The supporting cast isn't used as well, but then this is a story about three main characters. Philippe Petit, North Tower and South Tower. Philippe Petit wants to cross from one to the other on a thin steel cable, and he does this without permission, which results in many cloak and dagger scenes. Both towers give tremendous presence, it's like they never stopped existing. Kudos to the special effects team for bringing them to life again. And of course Zemeckis' visually strong direction which gives the whole highwire stunt emotional depth.

The Silvestri score is okay for the most part, it complements the on-screen events very well, but it isn't as memorable as his other collaborations with the director.

My rating: GREAT FLICK
  8. and I was assuming you would show this this weekend ;-)
  9. Did anyone watch this Ghostbusters 3 Trailer? It looks much more like a parody rather than a serious take on the franchise. Since the first Ghobusters is one of my all time favourite movies I'll handle this with extreme caution.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Did anyone watch this Ghostbusters 3 Trailer? It looks much more like a parody rather than a serious take on the franchise. Since the first Ghobusters is one of my all time favourite movies I'll handle this the extreme caution.

Volker

It looks like crap, and I've had that feeling ever since I heard about the cast and the production.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I don't think a "serious take" on Ghostbusters is either possible or wanted (any more than a "serious take" on something like Back to the Future would be wanted), but yeah, the trailers don't look super promising.
  11. Yes, self parody is a vital part of the Gostbusters formula. I'm not sure you can repeat that with another cast. It feels like a Family Guy Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The movie looks terrible! I hope it isn't! Hopefully, we get a rousing Theodore Shapiro score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. Seeing those 4 women together in their stupid looking suits puts me right off ever seeing this one. Another example of useless reboots / remakes that Hollywood seems to love nowadays. Count me out.

The 1984 has tons of charm, great cast, practical effects and a superb Bernstein score. It's a classic.

The sequel isn't as good but still fun and has a rather good Edelman score. I hope this will get a release someday.
  13. I'm now on my second watch of Breaking Bad (currently season 3) and even though I know how it goes, it's simply amazing how the story develops and how the characters become these three-dimensional beings with their good and bad sides. It must be one of the most slow-paced TV series ever made (in terms of it mostly being dialogue scenes that take minutes at a time, but these scenes are what make it so exhilarating to watch). There's just so much at stake and the characters are so well-defined with such meaningful dialogue that it's impossible to not be captivated by it all. When I'm done with this I'm gonna start with 'Better Call Saul' (this series' prequel). Because Vince Gilligan is a bonafide genius. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016 edited
    BREAKING BAD is superb, and deserves every accolade it has received. I'm also totally addicted to BETTER CALL SAUL, so you have a lot of great stuff to look forward to.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If fast-paced is defined by quick editing and flashy visuals, then yes in that sense it's slow-paced. But in terms of narrative, it rarely -if ever- wastes a single scene.

Better Call Saul is also brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    BREAKING BAD is superb, and deserves every accolade it has received. I'm also totally addicted to BETTER CALL SAUL, so you have a lot of great stuff to look forward to.

Steven wrote
    Better Call Saul is also brilliant.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. James Bond 007: Spectre

Solid. Bond down memory lane. The most traditional Craig Bond so far. I didn't like it as much as SKYFALL but it is a solid film. I loved Newman's score in context. The cats is great. I hope Christoph Waltz isn't finished with Blofeld.

Volker

EDIT: Well, the cat was great. So is the cast. smile
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2016
    Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane. Good movie. Bear McCreary's score is excellent and *very* well-defined in the mix.
  15. I didn't care that much for Spectre. Some good action in it, yeah, but all that "it was Christoph Waltz along crap" felt hamfisted and makes George Lucas' attempts to retroactively alter the Star Wars universe look elegant by comparison. Waltz himself felt pretty wasted too.
  16. Captain Future wrote
    Did anyone watch this Ghostbusters 3 Trailer? It looks much more like a parody rather than a serious take on the franchise. Since the first Ghobusters is one of my all time favourite movies I'll handle this the extreme caution.

Volker

this is not Ghostbusters, this looks like a Melissa McCarthy comedy. And a bad one at that.
    When do they get it in heir heads that Ghostbusters was not a comedy, but a serious film with just actors who make it scary and amusing.

Looks like utter crap
  17. That trailer is so facepalm inducing that the movie's gonna flop and by the end of the year it will be forgotten completely. Even the new generation will look at this and say I'm not spending my money on this crap. But the Reitman films will go on to entertain us for decades (well the first one for some).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2016 edited
    Revisited a few 90s favourites....

THE GREEN MILE - Frank Darabont

Nowhere near as affecting as his previous Stephen King prison drama but still a really wonderful film. Top-notch acting from all involved and another touching - and utterly tear-jerking - score from Thomas Newman. This film (and the novel) is just downright heartbreaking.

TITANIC - James Cameron

I, for some reason, felt the urge to watch this last night. The schmalzty romance plot aside, I am not ashamed to admit that I love this film - mostly for it's technical achievements. The special effects - mostly - haven't aged at all. The use of practical minatures is mind-blowingly effective. Gorgeous even. I couldn't care less for Jack and Rose; it's the supporting historical characters that steal the show for me. Horner's score is a bit too sweet at times but the action/tension stuff is great.