• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016 edited
    Newman's score for SPECTRE is a typically fine Newman score, and as with any Newman score seems inevitable for the film it was written for. That said, for me it didn't have enough of the Bond swagger. Skyfall had the best of both worlds, and that's why I love it.
  1. Steven wrote
    The X Files Season 10

Terrible. The intentionally silly episodes were actually the least silly. Another pointless reboot.

Agree - mostly.

We stuck with it for 3 episodes before bailing out. Funnily, we thought that the 3rd episode was the best of the three, with its tongue-in-cheek feel about it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    BRING 'EM ON! I'LL BARRY THEM!

biggrin

I know this argument is age old now but so much of the Bond theme is obviously Barry it's just embarrassing, yeah the guitar riff is Monty's but you can hear all the DNA of the rest of it in Barry's earlier back catalogue.

Monty comes across as an aggrieved bitter man who feels a need to prove something, he should be happy that it was his genesis that led to one of the worlds most famous pieces of music, it just would not have happened without JB's arrangement.

Just in case anyone is misinformed, Barry never brought anything to court, Monty's beef was with a newspaper claim that Barry wrote the theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016
    I'll have to give SPECTRE another go. Hated it when I saw it at the cinema, which is odd considering I didn't even hate Die Another Day when it came out (I was 12 at the time though).
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote

George Lucas' Star Wars retcons look elegant in comparison.

Because that's what they are. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    The X Files Season 10

Terrible. The intentionally silly episodes were actually the least silly. Another pointless reboot.

Agree - mostly.

We stuck with it for 3 episodes before bailing out. Funnily, we thought that the 3rd episode was the best of the three, with its tongue-in-cheek feel about it.

The only thing you need from it isa episode three, "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster"

It's like it came from the prime of the series.

If you thought the first one was stupid, "My Struggle", consider yourself lucky for not sticking around to catc the last two episodes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

George Lucas' Star Wars retcons look elegant in comparison.

Because that's what they are. wink

lol

I love Star Wars, but...nope. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016
    Retcons? confused
    I don't think Lucas did *any* revision of the original continuity?
    (He certainly *added* some shit -and I use that term most advisedly, mostly inregards to the horrible (and luckily never revisited) concept of the midichlorians, but he didn't revise or change anything to the continuity of the original trilogy.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I consider the Leia twins thing to be essentially a retcon, an awkward way to sort out the love triangle (but one which, blessedly, means we don't actually have to dwell on said triangle any longer than is absolutely necessary, thank Christ). The retroactive and ridiculous "I knew/planned this all along" statements from Lucas are what SPECTRE's plotting reminded me of, because it's pretty clear from watching the Craig films that no such long-term plan exists. Lucas at least sort of made it work...

And then there's, you know, Greedo shooting first. tongue
  6. If you come to think of it, everything Star Wars is uncomprehensible, ridiculous, childish rubbish. smile

Greedo's dead. That's all that matters continuity wise.
  7. You know what we need? A Greedo prequel. Yes, clearly we need to know his rife with interest past.

Yes, yes. That's the shit, I mean kick, that Hollywood is on.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Greedo isn't dead at all. He eventually escaped the sarlacc and ... o, wait ...
  9. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012/2013)

Two part animated adaptation of the classic graphic novel by Frank Miller. Both parts watched back to back amount to a full fetched feature that rivals every live action Batman film in existence. Nolan's trilogy owes immensely to Miller but he puts that input to good use. Having revisited this animation makes me want to also revisit Nolan's take on the franchise.
    I didn't notice much of Christopher Drake's score save for the fine main theme. I don't believe this has been released on CD or has it?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016
    King of Kings

I had never seen this before, and will never see it again (it's not bad, but once is enough), but wow... THAT is film music.
  10. Southall wrote
    King of Kings

I had never seen this before, and will never see it again (it's not bad, but once is enough), but wow... THAT is film music.

That was film music back in the 1960s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It was a score from the 1960s, that much is true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It was film music from a time it was not just allowed, but actively encouraged, to be loud and proud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. But I think with most things, it's a pendulum that swings both ways. I'll be very surprised if thematic scoring every truly goes out of fashion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    King of Kings

I had never seen this before, and will never see it again (it's not bad, but once is enough),

Really? shocked
    I LOVE that film. Most human, most relatable Jesus I ever saw in film history (I say as a rabid atheist). Very moving, beautifully photographed....and of course...
    ... THAT is film music.

Yeah. Well. What can I say?
    Rozsa.... love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Yes, I love Jeffrey Hunter's (The original Christopher Pike, mind you!) Hippie Jesus. Also the narration by Orson Welles. Rozsa's score of course was one of the last hurrays of Golden Age film scoring, much like Kaper's "Bounty" score the following year.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, I love Jeffrey Hunter's Hippie Jesus.

Did you know some critics, due exactly to Jesus being so 'relatable', scornfully referred to this film as " I Was A Teenage Jesus"? So mean! biggrin

I think Hunter was absolutely excellent in the role (albeit rather disconcertingly Caucasian. But hey-ho. Early sixties Hollywood, eh....)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I think Hunter was absolutely excellent in the role (albeit rather disconcertingly Caucasian. But hey-ho. Early sixties Hollywood, eh....)

Sure, as opposed to post-millennial Jesus...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How can you tell his race under ALL THAT BLOOD!!! shocked vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, he's trans-gender-fluid, you Trump supporter. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016 edited
    I accept my fascist privilige defining the status quo. shame
    Now piss of before we run you out of town in tar and feathers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

#feeltheBern
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Sure, as opposed to post-millennial Jesus...

Is the first one from Hellraiser or something?

Anyway, #trainspottingjesus FTW.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, I love Jeffrey Hunter's (The original Christopher Pike, mind you!) Hippie Jesus. Also the narration by Orson Welles. Rozsa's score of course was one of the last hurrays of Golden Age film scoring, much like Kaper's "Bounty" score the following year.

Volker

My Mum had a fine taste in music, when I was a teen still living at home she would often ask me to play King of Kings, Ben-Hur and Quo Vadis.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, I love Jeffrey Hunter's (The original Christopher Pike, mind you!) Hippie Jesus. Also the narration by Orson Welles. Rozsa's score of course was one of the last hurrays of Golden Age film scoring, much like Kaper's "Bounty" score the following year.

Volker

My Mum had a fine taste in music, when I was a teen still living at home she would often ask me to play King of Kings, Ben-Hur and Quo Vadis.

I respectfully tip my (imaginational) hat to your old lady then. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, she liked a lot of my stuff, Barry, Williams, Goldsmith etc. She also loved classical and all the latest pop music, I get my eclectic taste from my mum.