• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016
    christopher wrote
    Just saw Jeff Nichols's MIDNIGHT SPECIAL. This guy knows how to make a movie. It's utterly fascinating from beginning to end, totally unpredictable, totally original, and convinced me, even more than his last film, MUD, that Nichols is a director to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if his career takes a similar path to that of Chris Nolan. You all need to see this film.

Actually, his last film was LOVING -- a total misfire of a movie that for some inexplicable reason was chosen to be in the main competition at Cannes. But I loved both MUD and TAKE SHELTER, and I think MIDNIGHT SPECIAL was a return to form for Nichols.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Haven't seen Mud yet. You'd recommend it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, most definitely.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Mars Attacks (1996)

Delicious!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    Just saw Jeff Nichols's MIDNIGHT SPECIAL. This guy knows how to make a movie. It's utterly fascinating from beginning to end, totally unpredictable, totally original, and convinced me, even more than his last film, MUD, that Nichols is a director to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if his career takes a similar path to that of Chris Nolan. You all need to see this film.

Actually, his last film was LOVING -- a total misfire of a movie that for some inexplicable reason was chosen to be in the main competition at Cannes. But I loved both MUD and TAKE SHELTER, and I think MIDNIGHT SPECIAL was a return to form for Nichols.

Loving hasn't had a wide release here yet. But Midnight Special came out in the Spring. It was supposed to have been a fall release last year, until WB pushed it back. An article I read said that he shot Loving in the time that Midnight Special was delayed.

Sorry to hear that Loving doesn't measure up! I'm glad you've seen his films. I figured you would have, but if you hadn't I would have recommended them to you, specifically, as Nichols seems like the kind of auteur you would enjoy.

And, LSH, I would also recommend Mud.
  3. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The list of cinematic shortcomings of the original Star Wars films extends from here to the moon.

Star Wars and especially Return of the Jedi, sure. But Empire? Nope. Blows Wrath of Khan out of the Mutara Nebula.

Captain Future wrote
    So, how long did it take them to get from Hoth to Bespin without FTL abilities. And don't tell me about any slow backup hyper drive that no one talked about in 1980. And how much time did Luke actually spend on Dagobah?

(I know this has already been debated ad nauseam.) smile

I can't think of anything from Empire that's as inconsistent as the way Khan loses in that finale--the supposedly genius Khan being a brilliant tactician who can only think in 2 dimensions during the final battle. What kind of brilliant space warrior doesn't think about the possibility of a spaceship coming at you from below??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2016
    I learn something new every day...

Mark Kermode on BEN-HUR trailer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I want to see that play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Red Letter Media's take on Ben-Hur.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016
    Steven wrote
    Red Letter Media's take on Ben-Hur.

And it's spot on.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA

Good and crap at the same time but very watchable. Keanu Reeves must surely have been foisted on Coppola? Such a big star at the time but he's useless in this, a joke.

Awesome score by Wojciech Kilar, I bought the CD "blind" on a trip to London just before the films release, one of those rare scores that blew me away from the first listen and I have to say that most of my enjoyment of seeing this film again is listening to that classic score. Pure brilliance!
  4. I love that film. Indeed Reeves is a bit awkward at times but he doesn't damage the film IMO. Not least because of the superb score this is my favourite Dracula, Hammer/Lee's original Dracula and the John Badham version of '79 share the second place.

Volker
  5. Oh, and of course there is the silent Nosferatu. But that is another matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016 edited
    It's the best film about Dracula, IMO, mostly because of Oldman, Hopkins (two of my Top 5 actors) and the fantastic atmosphere and production design. It's the first and to date only film about the vampire that takes the myth and Stoker seriously, with sufficient back history. It's also a very sensual movie in every meaning of the word.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes, cast, production design and screenplay are superb as is the score. The film really takes the novel seriously. As to sensuality I always though Coppola drew a lot of inspiration from Badham.
  7. I was never really able to connect with this version of Dracula, I don't know why. Though I cherish the visual approach and kind of dig the score, I don't get the attraction between Oldman and Ryder. It just doesn't work for me. Strangely, I kind of loved the fast-cancelled and insancely trashy NBC TV show from two or three years ago a lot more.

RV: Ex Machina

Geez, what a mindfuck. I was just remembering from the long-ago-seen trailer that some kind of serious shit was gonna happen, but I didn't remember what, and having not even an idea who's the actual aggressor and what exactly will happen, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing. I really love how they're playing with the whole idea of the Turing test and who's being tested, how, and why, including the audience. Brilliant. Just brilliant. And what a fantastic performance by everyone involved.

The score is functional, fitting, and spot on. Nothing too spectacular, just enhancing the overall feeling of science vs. doom.

Only afterwards I read that the writer and director also wrote Danny Boyle's Sunshine, and that explains a lot, although Ex Machina is intensely better in almost every aspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    EX MACHINA is a masterpiece; my favourite film last year by far! This bodes well for young Garland's directorial career.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I was never really able to connect with this version of Dracula

Same here. Gorgeous photography, even better score, lazy performances and lackluster script.
    But if I'm honest I have to say I switched off from the moment the count first appears in that ridiculous semi-Queen From Naboo Meets Fu Manchu getup.

No.
    Just utterly and completely no.

1953's Hammer's and 1922's Murnau's visions remain THE Draculas for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Lazy performances? Maybe as far as Keanu is concerned, but the rest are great. And Gary Oldman has never topped this performance, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    And Gary Oldman has never topped this performance, IMO.

uhm

I can name plenty more worthier and far better performances from this great actor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not in my book. Plenty of other great performances, of course (as I said, he's one of my alltime favourites), but this one shines as a beacon far ahead of the pack. This is what I said in a recent poll:

http://montages.no/2016/05/topp-5-beste … an-roller/

Roughly translated paragraph: "Oldman literally glides through the film like a smoldering fog, as he smacks, sulks, rages, grins and stotters with a broad Rumanian accent - a fantastic interpretation modelled more on Max Schreck in Murnau's NOSFERATU than former Hollywood versions with actors such as Bela Lugosi, Christopher lee or Frank Langella. This is Oldman at his most dogged and dedicated -- so entrenched is he in his role, that you can almost feel the blood thirst in your own mouth."
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. With all the subtlety of Vincent Price.
    Honestly can't see what you see in it. It's awfully hammy.
    Mad expressionism worked wonders in 1922. In 1993...not so much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I prefer actors who can go "all-out" and have fun with over-the-top roles, and I get all giddy when they do. Like Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Ian Holm, Jeff Goldblum (my top 5). Of course, all of these can also do more restrained roles, which is another reason why I admire them so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Do you plan to watch anything Trek related tomorrow? I'll probably watch one or two episodes of the original series. Or else I'll spend the evening on the terrace. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2016
    No. I don't hate Trek, but I've grown more and more weary of it over the years. Seen all the films, and sporadic episodes of each show, but it's simply not my thing anymore.

What's so special about tomorrow?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2016
    Thor wrote
    What's so special about tomorrow?

Star Trek 50th anniversary I believe.
  9. Yes. "The Man Trap" aired on September 8th 1966.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016
    A "new" box set loaned me by a friend.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE

The complete series, I've been looking forward to tucking into this for quite some time. Half way through season 1 and I'm loving it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016 edited
    @ Boardwalk Empire: Not my genre for most of my life. Then I got to play Bioshock, and boom.
    Boardwalk is an amazing series, especially given how Buscemi owns every scene he's in. smile

@ Star Trek: Couldn't sleep last night, got up again and then zapped into Star Trek - The Motion Picture by chance (@Volker: on Kabel 1, where else wink ) . The picture was crystal clear, so I stayed and dozed through the whole thing. ^^

I don't know if I'll watch anything Trek related tonight to consciously celebrate, though. It's kind of depressing how we're getting more and more away from its utopian vision regarding to world politics and stuff. On the other hand, maybe we'll get our very own Eugenics War somewhere down the road, and that will be it.

It's amazing, though, how much new tech directly out of Trek has been developed during those 50 years.
  10. STAR TREK Season 1: The Man Trap (1966)

Anyone have salt? smile
    An above average episode that shows the potential of the series. I watched the remastered version with altered effect shots. I like how that was done.
    Here's to the next 50 years!

Volker