• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016
    We're all in agreement on Rickman and Kamen's score, my fave remains the unreleased, at least properly released HIGHLANDER which I'd love and would hope Queen's contributions are all included if it ever gets sorted out.

Scott's Robin Hood was crap too IMO. But fair nuff if you like them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016
    Yeah, I gravitate more towards films that try to "ground" the legend. Not that keen on the ol' Errol Flynn version, or Mel Brooks' version (good for a couple of laughs, though) or the one with Burgon's score that came out around the same time as the Costner (it's OK).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016
    The Filmfestival of Gent started Tuesday and I'm going to see 3 movies and one concert.

Here's the planning
    today: Austerlitz (a German docu about concentration camp tourism)
    Saturday: The Fencer (Nordic movie) and Neruda (Argentina)
    Wednesday: World Soundtrack Awards

Since I don't live in the city anymore and I am quite busy with all sorts of things, it's not a large haul, but still good enough! Has anyone seen those?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    The Filmfestival of Gent started Tuesday and I'm going to see 3 movies and one concert.

Here's the planning
    today: Austerlitz (a German docu about concentration camp tourism)
    Saturday: The Fencer (Nordic movie) and Neruda (Argentina)
    Wednesday: World Soundtrack Awards

Since I don't live in the city anymore and I am quite busy with all sorts of things, it's not a large haul, but still good enough! Has anyone seen those?

Yes, I saw NERUDA in Cannes a couple of months ago. It's one of my favourite movies of the year! Currently on my 4th place out of 120 movies from the year. I've seen all of Larrain's movies as preparation for my interview with him last year, which you can read here:

http://www.filmfrasor.no/en/news/2015/l … tages.html

....and although this isn't quite on the same level as his masterpiece TONY MANERO (2008), it's pretty close. I haven't seen his latest Hollywood biopic JACKIE yet.

While I haven't seen THE FENCER, I have the score by Gert Wilden Jr. -- which I REALLY like. It even has a couple of tracks with my beloved 'religious sound'.

AUSTERLITZ I'm not familiar with.

Enjoy your film festival as WSA warmup! I have no idea who are the visiting directors this year, and what films they're showing.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Wait, Austerlitz is about concentration camps? I thought "Auschwitz" was the concentration camp and "Austerlitz" the train station in Paris!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Wait, Austerlitz is about concentration camps? I thought "Auschwitz" was the concentration camp and "Austerlitz" the train station in Paris!

The title refers to a novel written by Sebald, dedicated to the memory of Holocaust.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austerlitz_(novel)
    Kazoo
  2. Ah, okay. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES ( 1991 )

Worse than I remembered.

Hamming it up and chewing out everyone in a scene with him is a gloriously over the top Alan Rickman who is undoubtedly the only thing worth watching in this movie. Kevin Costner is bland, his 1980's Brit-pop haircut being the most interesting thing about him.

Sean Connery turns up for his pay cheque at the end.

Rubbish!

I love this movie. But I saw it when I was 15 and didn't know any better. It's still a fun romp featuring Kamen's very best score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think we all have our own nostalgic favourites Erik smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I think we all have our own nostalgic favourites Erik smile

That's true, but there were actually some decent value judgements from teenage Thor back then. I know because I've rewatched some "nostalgic favourites" in recent years, and they've held up. I need to do the same with ROBIN HOOD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016 edited
    Incidentally, I'm currently attending the Films from the South festival here in Oslo. Seen about 15 films so far this last week, still have a handful to go. Some fine gems to be found here, like the Iranian horror film UNDER THE SHADOW, which is like a cross between Asghar Farhadi, the good Shyamalan, J-horror and a pinch of Joe Dante towards the end. I believe this is the British submission for the Academy Awards next year (being an international co-production with Britain heavily involved).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been watching American made Anti Nazi films from the early 40's and amazed at how the Americans portray the Germans. A whole lot worse than I thought. The latest one is a 'B' film from PRC called "Hitler's Madmen" and how they wiped out a Czech town. John Carradine and Alan Curtis starred. For such a low budget movie it was really quite good.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016 edited
    I suspect that was influenced/based on by the assassination of Heydrich in Prague. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Talking of which I would like to see this recent release

EDIT: Reading my link I see I was right. Hitler's Madmen
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016 edited
    I'm guessing this is a French documentary, mostly in English due to the composers featured.

Film Music Documentary

Features contributions from Air, David Holmes, Lalo Schifrin, Michel Legrand, John Barry, Quincy Jones... None of which I've seen before.

Fascinating and worth a watch.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES ( 1991 )

Worse than I remembered.

Hamming it up and chewing out everyone in a scene with him is a gloriously over the top Alan Rickman who is undoubtedly the only thing worth watching in this movie. Kevin Costner is bland, his 1980's Brit-pop haircut being the most interesting thing about him.

Sean Connery turns up for his pay cheque at the end.

Rubbish!

I love this movie. But I saw it when I was 15 and didn't know any better. It's still a fun romp featuring Kamen's very best score!

-Erik-

We saw it recently again, and just like the many times before it I like this movie a lot. What's not to like? It's got heart, it's got great actors and it doesn't take itself too seriously or it's not too dark. Plus it's got a fabulous score from Kamen. Remained a childhood favorite of mine, and it stands the test of time (both film and score)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016 edited
    12 YEARS OF SLADE

Wow, this is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting. Chiwetel Ejiofor is an interesting choice to portray Noddy Holder but it's pretty misjudged if you ask me. I think they could have chosen a better 12 year period of their career to showcase. This one's just... depressing.
  4. LSH wrote
    12 YEARS OF SLADE

Wow, this is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting. Chiwetel Ejiofor is an interesting choice to portray Noddy Holder but it's pretty misjudged if you ask me. I think they could have chosen a better 12 year period of their career to showcase. This one's just... depressing.

My oh my ... shocked
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    If Lee dislikes 12 YEARS A SLAVE, it must mean he likes slavery! That's undisputed logic.

In all seriousness, I didn't care particularly for the movie either, nor the score.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I didn't either. I appreciated McQueen's approach from a political perspective, but as a film I found it a little editorial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    I love McQueen's SHAME, though -- his best film so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The score is one of the worst things Zimmer has ever done, if you ask me.
  7. Logan's Run (1976)
    The Island (2005)

Logan's Run seems like an overture to Star Wars today. I loved the film as a kid. Huge wave of nostalgia.
    The Island picks up certain elements of the former film without being a straight remake. Could have been better but entertains well enough.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited
    THE ISLAND is a marvelous film -- I prefer it over LOGAN'S RUN, which comes off as stilted and dated. I think I prefer Jablonsky over Goldsmith in this case too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016
    Haha, that goes without saying!

It probably also goes without saying that I thought The Island was a rubbish film and at the time I thought it was a pathetic excuse for a film score, but of course the years since have proved there was a lot left at the bottom of the barrel that could still be scraped.

Have never seen Logan's Run.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited
    Logan's Run is dated but still worthy of a viewing and Goldsmith's score, though not a favourite of mine nails it.

The Island was rubbish and its score was....meh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016
    "I Wake Up Screaming(1941)" starred Betty Grable, Victor Mature, and two of my favorite character actors Laird Cregar and Elisha Cook Jr. /a fine fine noir film
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016
    The music consisted of Street Scene and Over the Rainbow both done extremely well.
  8. Tomorrowland
    Basically, there's a great movie in there that asks the really important questions we as humankind need to ask ourselves right now, but somehow, it gets bogged down with a needless the-end-of-the-world-is-right-now scenario and utter nonsensical dangers which just serve to provide the action scenes, which are, all by itself, very enjoyable, but turn our attention away from the important stuff.

I enjoyed the movie while it lasted, the score included, but I'm really sad about the whole nostalgia that truly connected with me, and what it has to say about our sense of wonder and where that went. It tries really hard to motivate the audience into action, but doesn't really have the answers how to meet the challenge, because the truth is that these days, any kind of motivation to change the status quo in a positive way will be met with even more obstacles, prejudice, and simply hate.

Yeah, as a kid growing up in the seventies, I too believed we'd go to Mars and settle the solar system before the end of the century, drive flying cars and live in cities with magnetic transport systems and buildings which would be high and beautiful, not just gigantic steel dildos, and green parks everywhere. The peaceful society of Star Trek's Federation wasn't just a wishful "what if" scenario, but a dream many people really dreamt. It's principles of equality and humanity gave me values I try to stand by every day.

Well, welcome to the 21st century, where there's a chance that a complete asshole gets elected President of the United States, powerful megacorporations force/buy changes in jurisdiction and laws for the entire EU, poison the Earth, and most people don't even care. The dream is dead. And the movie has a way of shoving that into our faces which is just painful, without really offering a solution.

So I guess the movie - at least - managed to depress me. Great.
  9. Just chanced upon Wolf with Jack Nichelson. I have never seen the film before. I loved the score. I had to look it up to discover that it is by Ennio Morricone. The film was rather mediocre, given what should have been a dream part for Nichelson at that time but I don't think the film lived up to its potential.
    I see the score is readily available on CD. Any thoughts about it?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016
    It's repetitive but mesmerising, I think. But then I tend to like Morricone scores more than anyone else around here. Quite like the film, too.