• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016
    You're all bonkers.

INTERSTELLAR -- both film and score -- is an unadulterated masterpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016
    Thor wrote
    You're all bonkers.

This carries about as much weight as a neutrino. (Just to remain on topic.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek Beyond

For all the faults of the Picard films, at least they had some memorable scenes.

Funnily enough I find the exact opposite. While I -to my initial surprise- really liked the Star Trek TV reboot with The Next Generation, the TNG films are absolute fluff to me. I saw them all (some of them multiple tims) but I couldn't tell you the first thing about any of them, or what scene belongs to which movie.

The rebooted reboot however I find visually absolutely arresting and memorable (even if I still think the Nero character from the first film deserved a lot more background exposure to make him more relatable).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I have enjoyed these new films also. Haven't seen the third one yet. But I really enjoyed the first two, almost as much as my favorite TNG film: FIRST CONTACT. That's the only TNG film I ever return to.
  2. Generations
    A convoluted screen play with major logic holes. Lots of great individual scenes though. And I love the score by Dennis McCarthy.

First Contact
    Lots of fan service here. Great fun to watch still. Great Main theme and shiny individual cues. Still not a score I return to too often.

Insurrection
    Probably the most Roddenberry-esque film since STMP. Brilliant score! I love this film.

Nemesis
    Oh, well. The score doesn't do much for me. The story isn't too bad. The main problem here seems to be that the actors have outgrown their characters. They are not believable any more IMO. All Good Things clearly outshines this film.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016 edited
    STAR TREK is boring and silly. This is my most valuable input of the day.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute * syntax error * doesn't compute *
  4. Thor wrote

Have you ever given it a fair shake?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Have you ever given it a fair shake?

Yup. Seen all the feature films (except the most recent one), and a bunch of episodes of all the TV incarnations (esp. TNG). I was unquestionably more interested as a teen.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Well I have outgrown some of the TNG and Voyager stuff. When Federation folks come across as infallible and super noble, when the interior of the Enterprise appears too polished and shiny and when Picard talks seemingly deep stuff that is really rather trivial ... I don't like that too much any more. But when those series are good, they are still really, really good.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    First episode of Planet Earth 2 was rather spectacular. Amazed they can still find new stories to tell, and new ways of telling old ones. The little iguanas running away from the snakes was a breathtaking spectacle.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    First episode of Planet Earth 2. The little iguanas running away from the snakes was a breathtaking spectacle.

Absolutely outstanding!

For those who haven't seen...

https://www.facebook.com/BBCOne/videos/ … nref=story
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Southall wrote
    First episode of Planet Earth 2 was rather spectacular. Amazed they can still find new stories to tell, and new ways of telling old ones. The little iguanas running away from the snakes was a breathtaking spectacle.

Yes, it was a spectacular opening episode and I look forward to watching the rest.

I wish, though, that they would spend the last 10 minutes or so showing us more of the spectacular natural works rather than seeing how hard it has been filming a particular sequence. That's ideal DVD material. Or are these 'dailies' pieces a 10-minute filler than can be taken out when the episode is sold to commercial channels?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016
  7. It's the latter, or at least that's how they started. They are now very popular with a large portion of the audience and a part of pretty much all behavioural wildlife programming, not just big foreign co-productions. I agree with you though Alan, they kind of break the spell of the preceding 50 mins for me.
  8. Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

The Last Starfighter (1984)

I needed some good old fashioned optimistic space opera fare. I loved that film as a kid. It tells you, that you don't need to be strong in the Force to be Luke Skywalker. It suffices to be great at Galaxian.
    This is a Star Wars rip off as bland as they come. Also the dawn-of-time digital animation looks distracting. I whish they hat use practical effects here. Anyway, innocent fun and a stellar theme by Craig Safan. And the design of Starfighter One is stunning.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016 edited
    Have you 'spaceheads' been following the MARS series on National Geographic?

It's very ambitious, and I love the idea, but I'm not altogether thrilled about the execution -- especially the 'fiction' part, which seems to skip over every possible moment of potential, genuine drama in favour of rushing through the points of what "needs to be done".
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Checked out an animated Christmas short, that I won't name, based a comment from an FSM user in "The Ten Commandments" giveaway thread. The score had a positive mention and the user described the voice of Santa as one of the best ever.

Cut to a few minutes in, after skipping the annoying opening song...

An inappropriate and mediocre score and the voice of Santa ... I'm shocked. This isn't just a bad Santa voice, nothing remotely about it says "Santa", there's not even any effort put it to even familiarize it in some way. It's the worst Santa I've ever heard. What's it like? Imagine you went to some Shakespear stage play, found a first-year dude in his thirties, and asked him to voice Santa, but to make sure he doesn't put any life or effort into it at all, like some awful book on tape recording.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Star Trek TNG The Measure of a Man
    From the second season.

Watched it with my philosophy students. The context is anthropology and A.I. Such a great episode.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016 edited
    I just saw the new STAR WARS movie. It was OK, but I liked it less than TFA; then again, TFA was one of my favourite movies last year, so that was a tough one to match. Giacchino's score was borderline dreadful.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. shocked
  12. Oh, I forgot that you hate Giacchino. I am no longer shocked at your reaction. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016
    Take it with a grain of salt, Christopher. Remember, Thor thought Prometheus and Pain & Gain were brilliant films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  13. Don't worry, if Thor doesn't like it all is well with the universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016
    I actually like the film well enough. I gave it 3 of 5 stars and a decent 33rd place on my 2016 list (which counts 155 movies as of now). In fact, the first of my many '3 star' movies. But I really disliked the score, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the major cause for turning what could have been great into something merely decent as a whole.

I'll probably be sampling it on Spotify when it gets released, but I doubt I'm ever going to want to own it.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. In all honesty Thor, but you're a Williams fanboy and you despise Giacchino. You have been very outspoken in both points many times. So wasn't that a bit predictable?
    No harm meant, pal.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016 edited
    Oh, it's very predictable indeed. In fact, it's comforting -- in a way -- when one's view is cemented. I just wish it wasn't STAR WARS that suffered for it (or, in fact, most of the other franchises I love that Giacchino is now taking over).
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Southpaw

Good movie, but also very generic. It does everything it needs to do, without reinventing it. Good acting performances though. And the score is okay I guess slant , but doesn't impress either. I wanted more emotional goosebumps from the film, and Horner could have delivered this if he was more ... well Horner

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  16. The director wanted to make a gritty Raging Bull meets Rocky kind of story (the character's downfall is for recent standards quite cruel and relentless, just a bit more brutal than your regular Hollywood film, probably the reason why Gyllenhaal picked the film. And he IS quite choosy), hence a more brutal electronic, gritty score. I kinda do dig Horner's Southpaw. I think it's one of his better electronic efforts, a subgenre of his I never quite enjoyed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016 edited
    Neither film nor score did anything for me, I'm afraid. I actually deleted the soundtrack from my iTunes collection, which is very rare for Horner. And I felt a bit guilty for doing it, since it was one of his last.
    I am extremely serious.