• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017
    Martijn wrote
    You're very welcome.
    I DO try and accentuate the positive wherever I find it.
    However minute.

RV: Peaky Blinders - season 3

The ongoing -and mostly fictionalised- account of the 1920s Birmingham gangster family.
    This is where the Shelby gang finally and quite possibly irrevocably bite off more than they can chew when they actually get entangled in international politics....and start to find out who the real global players are.

Again very violent -sometimes disturbingly so- with a host of incredibly unlikable characters.
    But the scripts -and dialogues- are just getting better and better, and the photography is nothing short of stunning.

I read the series has already been prolonged for two more seasons at least.
    As this series ends on a major cliffhanger, the only downside is having to wait for another year before being able to sink my teeth into this again.

It's an excellent series but I do have problems with the anachronistic music, and yes I know that we can apply that to so many beloved films and shows it's uncountable but I at least want something that sounds and feels right. That isn't too much to ask is it?

At the moment I'm flying through NARCOS ( which I think may have been recommended by you Martijn? ) which is brilliant and more addictive than Pablo Escobar's Columbian marching business produce, only another 5 episodes of Season 2 left to watch then I'll have to go cold turkey freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I do have problems with the anachronistic music

I know what you mean. I've learned to live with it (I do think it's a bit of an overly stylised -and not very original- element), but it ain't no Boardwalk Empire (which for a gangster epic in my book is utterly unbeatable).

At the moment I'm flying through NARCOS ( which I think may have been recommended by you Martijn? )

Nope, if memory serves that was D.
    I've been holding off as it's quite far from my area of interest, but I hear really good things about it so I might be coming round after all.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017
    Timmer wrote
    At the moment I'm flying through NARCOS ( which I think may have been recommended by you Martijn? ) which is brilliant and more addictive than Pablo Escobar's Columbian marching business produce, only another 5 episodes of Season 2 left to watch then I'll have to go cold turkey freezing

The second season was nowhere near as good as the first. Such a shame. But I like where they are taking the story.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2017
    Martijn wrote
    RV: Peaky Blinders - season 3

I haven't gotten round to watching any of this, even though they shoot a lot of it very close to my apartment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's up with everyone shooting movies and tv shows around your apartment, LSH? Do you live in Piccadilly Circus?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Forbidden Planet (1956)

What a fantastic, pioneering film. Awesome!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Forbidden Planet (1956)

What a fantastic, pioneering film. Awesome!

Volker

Also shot next to Lee's apartment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Rogue One

I thought this was very well done. It gives me hope that they're not just going to churn stuff out - you could tell a lot of love and care went into it.

I like the part where Michael Giacchino wrote the music.
  2. The 1977 forgotten film "The Strange Case of the End of Civilization as We Know It", starring John Cleese as Sherlock Holmes' grandson, working with Watson's grandson, to deal with a modern day Moriarity.

Okay, it's Cleese and an interesting idea. The result?

It was so fucking bad. Oh. My. God. I just submitted my own review of the film to IMDb; it'll probably be up tomorrow. As I said in the closing, this is deservedly forgotten.

Now I'm on to "Sherlock Holmes: Incident at Victoria Falls", a 1992 film(?). For curiosity's sake, but also to check out the score by Eric Allaman, whom I am not familiar with, despite having seen his name attached to a number of films.

I'm only seven minutes in and the results are not good at all: it's boring, the actors are not engaging, and the score is unfitting and at times obtrusive (and cheap sounding, too at times). One actor, seen breifly but lead to believe will be coming back again, was so poorly acted, I found myself remarking about it aloud. And the whole thing is meant to be serious.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Last night my wife and I watched the 1969 musical HELLO, DOLLY! We'd never seen it before. It's got a pretty impressive scale. Apparently despite being the highest-grossing film of 1969 it still didn't recoup its budget! It's got a lot of the cheesiness you can expect from the old musicals (it's directed by Gene Kelly), but it has some surprisingly modern sensibilities, satirizing a lot of out-dated notions about the roles of men and women. Barbra Streisand doesn't seem to fit into the 1890s setting, but perhaps that was intention. Her character really stands apart in every scene she is in. It was really fun.

The score won an oscar for the score, which would never have happened today since all but two of the songs were straight from the music that debuted on broadway just five years earlier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2017
    christopher wrote
    It's got a lot of the cheesiness you can expect from the old musicals (it's directed by Gene Kelly), but it has some surprisingly modern sensibilities, satirizing a lot of out-dated notions about the roles of men and women.

In that case, it's the opposite of Kelly's 1967 film A GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN (featuring an entertaining Williams score), where it's extremely outdated in terms of the gags it plays around gender roles ("Oh, look at that silly man trying his clumsy best in the kitchen! How hilarious!" etc.). Haven't seen HELLO, DOLLY, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. On the surface it would appear to entrench those outdated roles - there's a whole song about how "it takes a woman, a dainty woman," to clean the house and cook the meals, etc. But as the song progresses Walter Matthau (who doesn't have a lovely singing voice, by the way) goes on about how he needs a "fragile" woman who can fix the plumbing and shoe the horses and do all these things that most men couldn't even do in that age. By the end of the song it's clear that this woman is some sort of super-creature who is going to do EVERYTHING. So it may seem like an outdated song to begin with, but by the end it's clearly harpooning that way of thinking. Matthau's character can't prepare his own food (his niece does all of that), so the characters are certainly in that world (which is appropriate given the time and setting), but the film pokes fun at those notions a lot, and every time Dolly is in a scene she turns everything upside down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2017
    10 Cloverfield Lane

Very disappointing. I usually like things like this but just found this boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    10 Cloverfield Lane

The score didn't do much for me either, but the film is quite good -- a tight and focussed "trapped" thriller. One of my honourable mentions this year.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Southall wrote
    10 Cloverfield Lane

I liked it. Totally different from the first, and still with a short but cool climax.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agreed. I have a special preference for these types of 'isolation dramas'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  6. The Testament of Dr Mabuse (1933) - Fritz Lang

I remember watching that film as a child and that it scared me shitless. It's a brilliant mystery thriller bordering on the paranormal. A master work of expressionistic film.

Volker
  7. Now that's a film. smile (Mabuse.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2017
    I only ever saw Mabuse, Der Spieler, which, while good, wasn't the revelation I hoped it to be after having seen M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder , Metropolis and Woman In The Moon, which were all WAY ahead of their time!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017 edited
    Just saw Rogue One again last night, and I still stand behind my initial review (of which I've now removed the spoiler tags...hey, it's been almost a month now! If you've not seen it yet, you can't be all THAT bothered, right?)

Oddly, somehow the good things seemed better, and the less good things worse.
    Normally on repeat viewings I tend to 'even out' , but not this time.

Overall though it's really, really enjoyable, becoming -as I said in my earlier review- particularly engrossing when the crew hits the planet Scarif in the end. And -in contrast to The Force Awakens- the 3D is really a must-have (so to speak): it really enhances the experience!

So yeah. Good time. Again.
    (It certainly was enhanced by the fact that I was with a fellow geek this time, so we could have a giggle over the blue milk and the death star droid. Even if he remarked in the end on the absence of the Bothans.
    That was for the SECOND Death Star, you nincompoop!! angry kill )
  8. Ha! When I saw the trailer and that Mon Mothma was in this film, my first thought was, "We're going to see Bothans dying." It wasn't until later that I remember that that line was from Jedi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017 edited
    I just this minute came back from Rogue One and I have to say it is a very very fine film. This, from somebody who never really connected with Star Wars, though it seems to have ignited a curiosity to return.

There's a lot to say about it that I don't have time for right now but I will say that it is one of the most beautiful films to look at that I've seen recently. The final scenes, as frantic as they are, are stunning.
  9. I need to make some time to see this!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2017
    Watching Ridley Scott's flawed but gorgeous to look at LEGEND on Film4, what's interesting about this is that it's the cut with Jerry Goldsmith's score which I haven't seen since its release. All other terrestrial showings on TV have been with Tangerine Dream's replacement score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Is it two hours long?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No. I reckon about 1.35? Estimated as there are ad breaks.
  11. Ah, so it's the European theatrical cut. The director's cut is two hours long and it's the one I've seen. The director's cut reinstates the Goldsmith score as Ridley seriously regretted the decision (pushed on him by a producer).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd like to see that version.
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah, so it's the European theatrical cut. The director's cut is two hours long and it's the one I've seen. The director's cut reinstates the Goldsmith score as Ridley seriously regretted the decision (pushed on him by a producer).

So did Tangerine Dream. Froese thought Goldsmith's score was terrific.

Volker