• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah, so it's the European theatrical cut. The director's cut is two hours long and it's the one I've seen. The director's cut reinstates the Goldsmith score as Ridley seriously regretted the decision (pushed on him by a producer).

So did Tangerine Dream. Froese thought Goldsmith's score was terrific.

Volker

I like TD's score. Not as much as JG's but it's a fine album listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Just saw Outland (1981) - Peter Hyams

I really like this film. The story as well as the characters are pretty standard fair. Yet Sean Connery, the visuals, the pacing and the fine minimalist score by Jerry Goldsmith make this film work.
    As I count 2010 among my favourite films I need to further explore Hyams' body of work. I'm not familiar with anything else.
    EDIT: Correction, I do know Capricorn One.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017
    Lucy

Very silly indeed, but entertaining in patches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Lucy

Very silly indeed, but entertaining in patches.

A masterpiece! My favourite movie that year.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Really?!
  3. I actually had fun watching it, and it's nice and short but I'm amazed you'd consider it the best film of that year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    How can this surprise you coming from a guy who praises Michael Bay and Prometheus!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    I actually had fun watching it, and it's nice and short but I'm amazed you'd consider it the best film of that year.

By a landslide, even. I was almost moved to tears while watching it, not necessarily because of the story, but because it was so moving to see Besson returning to form so marvelously.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Checked out a computer animated short film from 1997 called "Santa vs. the Snowman", under the impression it was scored by the late Harvey R. Cohen. Turns out there was a little surprise there.

The short centers around a snowman out alone in the snowy landscape, playing a flute. The flute is broken when he's startled by something in the sky. He follows it and is lead to a small village where Santa's workship lies. He opens a window and steals a new flute and he sets off alarms and is persued by elves under Santa's orders. Soon the snowman thinks he could be Santa and proceeds to try and take it over by invading the place with snowmen troops and igloo AT-AT walkers.

It's cute enough. It's got some nice ideas and some good ones, and one or two funny lines, but over all it's a little off. It might be worth seeing once.

Turns out the original TV airing was scored by a concert and classical music performer named Vern Nelson (it appears to be his only score). Later on, for an IMAX showing in 2002, new scenes were added, a new narrator was added, and it was re-scored by Cohen.

Nelson's score was nice enough at times, but too simplistic and the cheap synths certainly didn't help. by default Cohen's effort was better, though it sounds like the budget for a bigger orchestra wasn't there.

I think this a good idea that could be made into a Pixar quality animated film. I'd pick Carl Johnson to score it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Watching Ridley Scott's flawed but gorgeous to look at LEGEND on Film4, what's interesting about this is that it's the cut with Jerry Goldsmith's score which I haven't seen since its release. All other terrestrial showings on TV have been with Tangerine Dream's replacement score.

Will be watching this for the first time tonight. Seems appropriate given the score features trump noises.
  5. Moon 44 (1990) - Roland Emmerich

Fine visuals (amazing even given the small budget). Fine score by Joel Goldsmith. Wooden acting. Passable story. All in all still worth a watch.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2017
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Watching Ridley Scott's flawed but gorgeous to look at LEGEND on Film4, what's interesting about this is that it's the cut with Jerry Goldsmith's score which I haven't seen since its release. All other terrestrial showings on TV have been with Tangerine Dream's replacement score.

Will be watching this for the first time tonight. Seems appropriate given the score features trump noises.

Thought it was an ambitious, visually beautiful bag of shite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017
    Yeah. that pretty much sums it up. I also see it as a big budget well produced pantomime. Always found it very watchable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017
    Meg Mucklebones is the best bit.
  6. The Never Ending Story (1984) - Wolfgang Petersen

Watched this with my 12 year old pupils this afternoon. Midterm certificates are eminent and we just had a sequence on legends and fairy tales. So this seemed appropriate. They liked the film as much as I hoped they would.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017
    The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight works, with all its sillinness. This is just silly. I don't remember it being this silly..
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight works, with all its sillinness. This is just silly. I don't remember it being this silly..

It's actually a very good film. Not on the level of THE DARK KNIGHT, but on par with BATMAN BEGINS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017 edited
    I agree it's on par with Batman Begins. They're both silly films. I suppose they are entertaining. But they don't get under my skin like the second one does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, superheroes are silly to begin with. Nolan is one of the very few who have managed to make something worthwhile out of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I... agree. I could take or leave every other superhero film, except The Dark Knight. I'd keep that.
  7. I have lost track of all those Marvel films. I don't know any longer what I have seen and what I have not. As a matter of fact there are few superhero films that I really care for, Superman 1978, Batman 1990, Spider-Man 2002, chiefly for misty eyed Kirsten Dunst love . Also The Dark Knight (2005).
    I am also a fan of several animated Batman incarnations.

Volker
  8. I bear no animus towards Marvel and find most of the movies they make to be at the very least entertaining - but at the same time, I'm sick of them. I want more variety in our blockbuster films. Superheroes are choking out everything else. I want to see more historical epics, more fantasy films (good ones), more period adventure.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I bear no animus towards Marvel and find most of the movies they make to be at the very least entertaining - but at the same time, I'm sick of them. I want more variety in our blockbuster films. Superheroes are choking out everything else. I want to see more historical epics, more fantasy films (good ones), more period adventure.

Total agreement. Most of these films I don't care about enough to take them from he DVD board but if I come across one while hopping TV channels I mostly get hooked.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2017
    Steven wrote
    The Dark Knight Rises

It is very silly. And that fucking ending with the bomb... lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Dark Knight Rises

It is very silly. And that fucking ending with the bomb... lol

I thought it was pretty intense. And the VERY end -- with Alfred and Bruce at the restaurant -- was very moving indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really rather liked it as well.
    Although of course there was another Batman movie with a far better, nailbiting bomb scene.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For fooks sake Thor, it was STOOPID!!!! Really, really fucking stupid. I'd have thrown a brick at the screen if I could've afforded it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    of course there was another Batman movie with a far better, nailbiting bomb scene.

yeah PROPAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    For fooks sake Thor, it was STOOPID!!!! Really, really fucking stupid. I'd have thrown a brick at the screen if I could've afforded it.

Really? I didn't have that reaction at all. In fact, for the first time in the series, something was REALLY at stake, and I also loved the uncertainty about Batman's fate in the aftermath, untill that restaurant scene.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Yes, really. The whole film is like suddenly Nolan lost his impeccable sense of narrative logic and just threw things in. Also this happening right after some of Marion Cotillard's career best acting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website