• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017
    I'm actually in that video (sitting a couple of rows behind Horner). Still haven't bought the BluRay, though. It's a definite must-have for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I'll wait for the shorter Director's Cut that has you cropped out for a special viewing order
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Thor wrote
    I'm actually in that video (sitting a couple of rows behind Horner). Still haven't bought the BluRay, though. It's a definite must-have for me.

I still haven't noticed you sitting there.

And the camera crew sure likes to pan away to show every inch of the exquisite hall. At one point there's about 10 seconds of the ceiling being shown. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE

Beautiful film, I really enjoyed it. Anyone seen Yumeji, the Japanese film where the track Yumeji's Theme is originally from? I'm curious if there is a specific reason that particular track was used, other than because it sounds wonderful.
  4. I'm into season three of "White Collar" now. The first two seasons were nearly excellent. They move jsut a little too fast and don't have as much character depth as I think they need to really cement them, but I guess it all works enough.

But that Goddamn fucking scoring is seriously pissing me off. I've never had a TV show I had to mute during score cues. And I don't think anybody wants to hear the angry color metaphores I utter each time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017 edited
    12 YEARS A SLAVE

Superb film with great performances, uncompromising and thankfully lacking Hollywood mushy sentimentality.

I didn't care for Zimmer's self plagiarising score which at times was badly spotted and intrusive.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Dreadful score, one of Zimmer's absolute worst as far as I'm concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017
    I agree. Kinda grating score. I'm also not particularly thrilled with the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Beauty and the Beast (2017)

I liked it a lot. Beautifully shot and wonderfully sung, it's a faithful adaptation of the 90's animation. I liked the new monster song very much (also the scene it was written for) all the while the CGI didn't bother me at all (much like The Jungle Book). What bothered me always in the animation was the transition of the love and understanding between Belle and the Beast. It was overtly rushed. Here it's much more fluent and longer, making the feeling a lot more normal. That and the fact the voice actors do give a lot of heart to their CGI characters. Completely unoriginal if you mind that sort of faithful adaptation, but a very nice film nonetheless. Well done!

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Beautifully shot and wonderfully sung

As my dear president would say - WRONG! wink
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

My president would venture into an elaborate discussion about the state of cinematic entertainment and how it relates to the refugee crisis. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2017
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Perhaps I experienced it differently, as I read everywhere the actors sung terribly. So perhaps I was pleasantly surprised about the quality of it after hearing it myself.

Of course I know it could have been better. But that happens when you hire star actors, not star singers. Considering what they had to do, I say they did more than good.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017 edited
    Just saw the very last episode of BLACK SAILS.

Sorry to see the series go, but at least it had the CHANCE to finish. While it had probably run its course in terms of the plotting and politics and conspiracies, some of the 'island action' in the last two episodes reminded me that it would have been great to see a straight-up adventure version of the show -- a spin-off, if you will -- that retains the serious and realistic portrayal, but less cerebral and more fun.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017
    Alien

This is a fucking great movie. Even showing it to people who've never seen it, it holds up. It's damn near perfect.
  10. The Humanoid (1979)
    L'umanoide / Kampf um die 5. Galaxis

With Richard Kiel (Bond's Jaws) and Barbara Bach love . As staggering a low budget Star Wars rip off as there ever was one. The practical effect aren't that bad really. All those little Darth Vader look alike soldiers are cringe worthy an exhilarating at the same time. Watch this when drunk.

smile Volker
  11. Morricone's tongue in cheek score of course is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Alien

This is a fucking great movie. Even showing it to people who've never seen it, it holds up. It's damn near perfect.

A simple premise and pretty small budget results in an effective suspense flick that is now considered a landmark classic. Nowadays the plots are so convoluted and full of nonsensical crap to get maximum revenue because of the ludicrous budgets. And CGI will never be better than practical in-camera filmed effects. Never !

And why you ask: Veronica Cartwright's reaction to 'that' sequence is 100 % reacting, not just acting because the director asked her to. Would we have had that same honest emotion that still shocks audiences today with CGI? Don't think so.

That said I am looking forward to Alien: Covenant and I'm hopeful that it will at least entertain. I like Prometheus though it's not a great film and definitely not up to the standards of 1,2 and yes even 3 I want to give Ridley the benefit of the doubt.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017
    ALIEN is on my Top 3 movies list of all time. Seen it probably 50 times. So we're on the same page there. Hardly a controversial contention, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. The sequel is my number one film of all time, so as great as the first one is, single-handedly causing a shockwave in sci-fi and horror cinema, the Cameron film has so much more qualities that speak to me. The exhilirating action of course, Ripley and Newt, badass marines, fantastic score and the most impressively made AND terrifying monster ever put to film, Burke ... I mean the bitch of course. smile

Not a single second wasted on that film IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017
    Agreed there too. I've probably seen that 60 times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's good but the first one is great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The Humanoid (1979)
    L'umanoide / Kampf um die 5. Galaxis

With Richard Kiel (Bond's Jaws) and Barbara Bach love . As staggering a low budget Star Wars rip off as there ever was one. The practical effect aren't that bad really. All those little Darth Vader look alike soldiers are cringe worthy an exhilarating at the same time. Watch this when drunk.

smile Volker

Star Crash is even more low budget and IMO more awful but even more watchable, so bad it's good. Great John Barry score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. DreamTheater wrote

A simple premise and pretty small budget results in an effective suspense flick that is now considered a landmark classic. Nowadays the plots are so convoluted and full of nonsensical crap to get maximum revenue because of the ludicrous budgets. And CGI will never be better than practical in-camera filmed effects. Never !

That may be so. But I noticed that the ultra high resolution you have on BluRay doesn't do those vintage practical effect shots any favours since you will often plainly see what these spaceships are actually made of: plastic.

Volker
  14. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

That may be so. But I noticed that the ultra high resolution you have on BluRay doesn't do those vintage practical effect shots any favours since you will often plainly see what these spaceships are actually made of: plastic.

Volker

Honestly, the blu-ray of Alien is amazing. And in my head I know they're miniature models but they do not look cheap or awfully put together at all. There's real artistry and craftsmanship that went into those models.

As far as I'm concerned the best visual effects that still impress me now, came out during the 70s, 80s and 90s. After that CGI took over and apart from some films and TV shows that use them very well and some directors that use them intelligently, most of the time I know I'm looking at fake computerized effects, and they don't impress me. Case in point all the Marvel films up to this point. Give me 1978 Superman's effects any day of the week.
  15. The shuttle landing in Alien II looks like me playing with assembly kit space ships. A little bit of of a blurring filter would have helped here imo.
  16. Wrong again, I swear Volker, your TV must be a very cheap one producing a very low quality image or either not set up correctly, because all I see is a futuristic shuttle landing on a hostile planet. No plastic pieces are visible. cheesy

And that's the first time I've ever heard someone refer the sequel as Alien II. Is that its official title in Germany? I know in french speaking territories it's translated as Alien: The Return.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The model work in ALIENS is superb! Don't look like Airfix kits to me.
  17. Right, it's "Aliens". I forgot. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    And that's the first time I've ever heard someone refer the sequel as Alien II. Is that its official title in Germany? I know in french speaking territories it's translated as Alien: The Return.

Actually, you wouldn't believe me if I just said it, so just for fun, scroll down to East Germany on the IMDB alternate titles page and you can see where the Caps confusement comes from wink.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/rel … dt_dt#akas