• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them

I wanted to like this film, but I never expected to like it so much. A fresh new take on wizardry, but above all an emotional roller coaster of a film. Wow, such warm and lovely characters it contains. It's a wonderful visual film, James Newton Howard's score is truly lovely in it, but this movie is so amazing because of the characters and the actors. And I utterly loved Kowalski's character. What a beautiful character which is played so lovely by Dan Fogler. And where do you find that chemistry on screen besides in the Television series? Again, a visual treat, but containing an over dosage of heart. Fucking loved it.

9 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2017
    Glad you liked it, Thomas. Unfortunately, I did not. For a myriad of different reasons. JNH's score has some great moments, but sadly the whole album left me underwhelmed.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I saw it with Thomas and wouldn't rate it as high, but it was entertaining, visually interesting and constantly creative, and I had almost shed a tear during the final scenes.

About the music it was about as much as what I got out of Maleficent, which I did not think was a great score (between 3,5 and 4 stars to be honest). I had to seriously trim down the album to get some enjoyment out of that. This is about the same I think.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I rate Beasts 4 and Maleficent 5 stars. I love both scores.

smile Volker

Correction: Maleficent is also 4 stars. I confused that one with Doyle's Cinderella. The latter one is a 5 star score.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them

It's a heartwarming story about how a rapper got his groove back.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    I saw it with Thomas and wouldn't rate it as high, but it was entertaining, visually interesting and constantly creative, and I had almost shed a tear during the final scenes.

Perhaps one of the reasons I rated it so high. You seriously have to find some chemistry and originality to move me to tears in a film nowadays. And they did this in a summer blockbuster. So I fucking loved it. Everything was on board here. From the music to the characters to the effects.

And again, I only rate JNH's score on album as a 3,5/5. But it does sound enchanting in the film.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I rate Beasts 4 and Maleficent 5 stars. I love both scores.

smile Volker

Correction: Maleficent is also 4 stars. I confused that one with Doyle's Cinderella. The latter one is a 5 star score.

Totally agree with you that Doyle's Cinderella is a 5 star score. Love that one. I was hoping they would do something similar with the Beauty and the Beast remake and assign someone to compose a new score for it, but I guess, since it's a musical, it makes sense why they didn't. smile
  6. Just got back from seeing the musical 'The Book of Mormon' on the West End. Wickedly funny!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just got back from seeing the musical 'The Book of Mormon' on the West End. Wickedly funny!

Cool! I wanted to see that when I was in NY in '14, but it was both sold out and too expensive, so I wound up with the ROCKY musical instead (which was not particularly good).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2017
    Moana

Bought this to watch with my daughter and loved it. The animation is breathtaking, the best I've ever seen. Beautiful and dazzlingly creative. Songs are fantastic. Loved it.
  7. We just bought that, too. It's super fun. A much better film that FROZEN, I think. The sons were fun, but I couldn't remember a bit of them after the first viewing. After repeated viewings they've grown on me.
  8. Southall wrote
    Moana

Bought this to watch with my daughter and loved it. The animation is breathtaking, the best I've ever seen. Beautiful and dazzlingly creative. Songs are fantastic. Loved it.

I still need to see it, but the songs for me were practically all the same (except for of course the main song which was really lovely). Perhaps seeing it will change my impression about the soundtrack in general.
  9. Rogue One

Enjoyed this one. Didn't really feel that I cared for any of the characters other than Donnie Yen's character and his sidekick.

And I was surprised by how unconvinced I was by the appearance of a familiar Empire character. Darth Vader. I think that it was a mistake to go with James Earl Jones: his voice sounded too old. And Vader's outfit looked wrong somehow.

And I think seeing the movie reduced my appreciation of Giacchino's score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017
    Your opening sentence doesn't seem to tie in with your other ones!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017 edited
    Darth Vader was one of the BEST things about ROGUE ONE. I'm a bit torn on the movie myself. I like several parts (I actually applaud the fact that it's more "comedy free" than previous movies, but that also means a lack of charm). Some great visuals and setpieces, with at least a hint of the Edwards I'm a fan of, but then a dreadful score by Giacchino. It's a fairly even balance between the good and disappointing, placing it firmly somewhere in the middle.

As for MOANA, I loved that movie. The songs are great, the score is good (at least in the movie), and there's so much class to the direction and execution of the storyline. Musker & Clements at their best!
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Southall wrote
    Your opening sentence doesn't seem to tie in with your other ones!

I suppose not. But the feeling I have immediately after seeing the film is based upon the explosions, flashing lights and wooshing sounds of the battle scenes - which were very good.
  11. Moana is my favorite film of the Disney re-renaissance so far, tied perhaps with Tangled.
  12. Arrival (2016)

Intelligent science fiction in the tradition of Arthur C. Clarke or Stanislav Lem. Great acting, superb visuals. The score by Johannsson makes a ton of sense when heard in context. I loved the score related special on the BluRay. The Daylight piece by Richter stays in mind of course. (A bit Samuel Barber's Adagio, or is it not?) Johannsson's score might not be a listening experience that I will revisit often away from the film but it does fit the film perfectly.

Volker
  13. I thought the film was excellent. I thought the score was miserable, even in context. Half the time I couldn't tell if I was hearing score or aliens communicating. I don't think the music helped the film in the least. It was a huge missed opportunity, I thought. Intelligent films don't have to have nondescript scores. I wish more filmmakers would think of music as something more than wallpaper that interferes with their vision the moment it draws attention to itself.
  14. christopher wrote

Half the time I couldn't tell if I was hearing score or aliens communicating.

Which was the intention exactly. While a sweeping romantic score would have been contradictory to the film's overall aesthetics I could imagine something along the line of Desplat's Tree of Life. But again, I am fine with the score.

Volker
  15. christopher wrote
    I thought the film was excellent. I thought the score was miserable, even in context. Half the time I couldn't tell if I was hearing score or aliens communicating. I don't think the music helped the film in the least. It was a huge missed opportunity, I thought. Intelligent films don't have to have nondescript scores. I wish more filmmakers would think of music as something more than wallpaper that interferes with their vision the moment it draws attention to itself.

I agree entirely with this, especially the not being able to determine what was diegetic and what wasn't. In a movie with aliens making weird noises, having a score simultaneously making weird noises of its own just didn't work for me. The only portion of the Arrival score that I liked on any level was the "nananananana" communication-montagey stuff.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "nondescript" score necessarily, but it's one that didn't work for me. Was astonished (and not happy) to see it win the IFMCA.
  16. Captain Future wrote
    Arrival (2016)

Intelligent science fiction in the tradition of Arthur C. Clarke or Stanislav Lem. Great acting, superb visuals. The score by Johannsson makes a ton of sense when heard in context. I loved the score related special on the BluRay. The Daylight piece by Richter stays in mind of course. (A bit Samuel Barber's Adagio, or is it not?) Johannsson's score might not be a listening experience that I will revisit often away from the film but it does fit the film perfectly.

Volker

Saw the film and I'm not sure I get all of it. Will need another viewing. But I like the premise a lot, my kind of sci-fi.

I take it the emotional string-heavy music at the start and end is not a Johansson composition? Because then that score is utter crap.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  17. No, it's "On the Nature of Daylight" by Max Richter.

Volker
  18. Great film and score. Not big on the tunes though. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017
    Don't want to listen to it on CD but I thought it was a first-rate film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017 edited
    It was first-rate bollocks to my ears. The only good bit of score is that which wasn't by Johansson. rolleyes
  19. Richter didn't write that music for the film. It was tracked in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    It was first-rate bollocks to my ears. The only good bit of score is that which wasn't by Johansson. rolleyes

I'm mostly with you on this one. I did however really like the chattering montage cue. But it was really hard to distinguish what was sound design and score, which isn't a good thing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm mostly with you on this one. I did however really like the chattering montage cue. But it was really hard to distinguish what was sound design and score, which isn't a good thing.

That would depend on the movie, wouldn't it? If the goal is exactly that, like -- say -- BLADE RUNNER or TERMINATOR, it is very much a good thing.

I loved the ARRIVAL score myself. Especially in the movie (the 'morse'-like elements that mirrored the communication aspect, for example), but perhaps less so on album. I'm generally more into the type of ambient textures that Johannsson weaves, though.

I'm curious -- what did you think of PRISONERS, Erik?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    Great film and score. Not big on the tunes though. wink

Oh that is a long time ago! wave
    Kazoo