• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Homeland

Only started watching this great series a few months ago... Season 1 was very good, but the second one is absolutely amazing ! A very focused show about terrorism, family values, and that eternal struggle to do the right thing. Not a whole lot of plot threads at the same time, and that's a plus. The acting by the way is top notch. I've always had a soft spot for Claire Danes since her breakthrough performance in Romeo+Juliet, but she totally shines here.

Hope this continues at this level in the next seasons.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Pacific Rim

On TV. This film is bad.
    Djawadi's score is probably the best thing about it. It's fun.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I actually like the film and it potentially averted brain damage, so I feel grateful to Del Toro for it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I would say Pacific Rim falls into the 'so bad it's good' category. I can have fun with it if I'm in the right mood. I remember the trailer blew me away due to the sheer scale of the action and spectacle, but the film didn't exactly deliver what the trailer promised.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017
    Big robots fighting big monsters. A-OK in my book.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Pacific Rim is the film I turn to when I want something like Transformers, only competently made and with no obnoxious or grating characters. I just wish every single goddamn fight scene didn't take place in the dark and/or rain.
  6. Transformers not competently made? On the action front all the movies are superbly put together. Even the biggest Bay cricit has to acknowledge that. The script, character development and other elements that make Transformers what it is, whether one likes that or not, I'll leave in the middle. But Michael Bay is NOT a hack director when it comes to shooting action. He's efficient, he knows what he wants, he shoots mostly practical and his style is consistent and including unique shots and moments in all of his films. Incompetent he is not.
  7. I suppose you're right. I just hate how all the action in his movies is hyper-edited within an inch of its life. What's the point of having such gorgeously detailed VFX if the camera never does them justice and you never get a chance to appreciate it? In Pacific Rim you get these long, clear, lovingly-staged shots of the Kaiju and Jaegers duking it out - that's what I like to see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017
    His signature Bayhem is technically impressive, it's just a shame he never works with decent scripts. I enjoyed 13 Hours far more than I thought I would, I suppose because he was forced to reign it in a bit. No robots, no gratuitous girls in hot pants, just men and guns -- and surprisingly emotive for a Bay film.
  8. One of Bay's best, though still the exposition felt a bit rushed (felt like a bunch of scenes put together hastily rather than truly developing characters or somehow even leading to the action, and if one of the characters finds a nice definition of himself somehow right before or in the middle of mayhem, the Campbell quote that is, that's a bit late).

And I agree with one thing Edmund says. I have the same issue with John Woo. So what there's the prettiest shot ever if you blink and eye and lose it? It may also take a while to get used to the transformation scenes in Transformers as the camera is so close and in its circular motion that it's hard to recognize what's happening for a while. But on the other hand, the argument some critics said that it's hard to recognize the autobots from the decepticons is completely moot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I suppose you're right. I just hate how all the action in his movies is hyper-edited within an inch of its life. What's the point of having such gorgeously detailed VFX if the camera never does them justice and you never get a chance to appreciate it? In Pacific Rim you get these long, clear, lovingly-staged shots of the Kaiju and Jaegers duking it out - that's what I like to see.

I can appreciate it, despite them being cut hyper-fast. I get enough eye candy out of any of the Transformers, because there are enough moments that are slowed down or simply extended. The only one I get a feeling of it being a bit excessive is the last hour of non-stop action in the Dark of the Moon. Hardly a moment to breathe. Even I have a hard time to stay totally focused during that OTT finale. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017
    Saw ALIEN: COVENANT earlier today. Some minor issues, but very fine film indeed. Easily among my favourites of the year so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Watched KAGEMUSHA in its entirety for the first time earlier. I have had the DVD for years - I bought it to try and understand the score a bit better. There's some visually stunning sequences throughout the movie and I did enjoy it. But, I did find it difficult to follow who was who and which clans were which.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    Saw ALIEN: COVENANT earlier today. Some minor issues, but very fine film indeed. Easily among my favourites of the year so far.

This will be the first film since Mad Max Fury Road came out I want to go see on the big screen.

I'll have a watch of Prometheus first. smile
  11. That one and BLADE RUNNER 2049. So far I was sceptical but the trailer got me hooked. Oh, and Star Wars VIII of course. And maybe Guardians 2 and certainly Valerian. ARE WE BACK IN THE 80s??!!? smile

Volker
  12. Captain Future wrote
    ARE WE BACK IN THE 80s??!!? smile

Volker

Definitely not. Because 2 out of 3 of my favorite composers are no longer among us. sad
  13. But we definitely enjoy a wave of space opera themed movies. I would guess we did non have that much of them since 1984.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017
    Go see LIFE , an amazing movie, didn't expect it to be so good!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017 edited
    Really?!?

I thought it was incredibly formulaic, and not in a good way (a good way to do formulaic would be ALIEN: COVENANT, which bears the stamp of a true master). But for what it is, I enjoyed many parts of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It was indeed, but it was so very well shot and intense, loved it. Also loved everything about Calvin. And the cast was enjoyable, they had a very good chemistry inbetween them[spoiler] although i didn't quite understand the black dude character, esp. why he didn't tell them when they were locking down parts of the iss depriving them off oxygen so they could kill Calvin, that he was wrapped around his leg actually in the safe room with them sucking on his leg blood...anyway, weird dude..any ideas? [/spoiler]the score was fantastic, the sfx and gfx very well done, the whole film was intense, loved it way more than the flop that was the overhyped and badly acted GRAVITY imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...GRAVITY was my favourite film of the year that year. But that's a different discussion. I will at least agree with you that LIFE was better and more involving than another sci fi epic last year, PASSENGERS. So in this case, a Hollywood sci fi film directed by a Swede outranked a Hollywood sci fi film directed by a Norwegian!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Really?!?

I thought it was incredibly formulaic, and not in a good way (a good way to do formulaic would be ALIEN: COVENANT, which bears the stamp of a true master). But for what it is, I enjoyed many parts of it.

I haven't seen the film yet but here's Mark Kermode's review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79aw9dZLfE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. Passengers (2016)

As so often when is comes to space opera: Lot's of eye candy and lacking story. The visuals of of the film, the production values are stunning. The cast is good. The actors work well enough with what was handed to them. Michael Sheen as the robotic bartender was my favourite. The psychological aspects of the drama, the character development should have been given much more attention. The gender roles are handled rather conservatively.
    The story: [spoiler]Boy meets girl (sort of), they fall in love (for lack of alternatives), get estranged and have to come together again to work as a team to safe the ship.[/spoiler] OK, we have seen that before.
    I'll revisit the film to enjoy the visuals and Newman's score. Maybe I'll mute the film and play Newman's score from CD. smile

Volker
  15. I wouldn't exactly call that movie a "space opera".

I enjoyed it to a degree, it's certainly slickly made, but my biggest issue is [spoiler]that I find what Pratt's character did, i.e. waking up Lawrence, to be so morally reprehensible that it makes it impossible to root for him or get invested in the romance. There's a far better version of this film to be made that plays the exact same premise as a psychological thriller, likely with a much less handsome male lead. Instead they tried to make some sort of Titanic IN SPACE![/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2017
    Agree with Edmund. I watched it, but I honestly can't remember much of it. The two actors were chosen for their star status, not because they were perfect for this film. Newman's score is typically functional.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017
    My biggest problem with Passengers [spoiler]wasn't Pratt's character's choice, which I thought was contextualized adequately by the script. I think that anyone in that situation likely would have made the same decision, as much as it makes us uncomfortable to think about. My problem was that Lawrence's character forgave him in a way that felt unearned and typically Hollywoody. That and the entire third-act climax felt tacked on. This film didn't need an action finale. [/spoiler]
  16. Rogue One

Enjoyed it immensely. Now this was a Star Wars film, with a stirring Star Wars finale to boot. And as a bonus, they perfectly tied it to A New Hope which made my day. [spoiler]Those final minutes with first Vader's aggressive entry and then the Leia shot made so much more sense, than seeing two actors (Ford and Fisher) trying to re create old magic (but failing) in The Force Awakens[/spoiler]. Even more so, the new characters and the amazing second part of the film made me hate The Force Awakens even more. Rogue One is everything The Force Awakens is not. Okay, so they had to re create some characters digitally, but at least it was done to tie it to A New Hope. Really great film. And I still can't believe it's rated below The Force Awakens on IMDB (which has become now my lowest rated Star Wars film, yes even lower than Attack of the Clones).

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  17. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Rogue One Even more so, the new characters and the amazing second part of the film made me hate The Force Awakens even more. Rogue One is everything The Force Awakens is not.

This.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Rogue One

Enjoyed it immensely. Now this was a Star Wars film, with a stirring Star Wars finale to boot. And as a bonus, they perfectly tied it to A New Hope which made my day. [spoiler]Those final minutes with first Vader's aggressive entry and then the Leia shot made so much more sense, than seeing two actors (Ford and Fisher) trying to re create old magic (but failing) in The Force Awakens[/spoiler]. Even more so, the new characters and the amazing second part of the film made me hate The Force Awakens even more. Rogue One is everything The Force Awakens is not. Okay, so they had to re create some characters digitally, but at least it was done to tie it to A New Hope. Really great film. And I still can't believe it's rated below The Force Awakens on IMDB (which has become now my lowest rated Star Wars film, yes even lower than Attack of the Clones).

8 out of 10

The uncanny Valley of Leia and Tarkin were definitely not needed. It's okay to cast real actors to replace dead ones. And Leia at the end was corny as sin - - it should have ended with Vader.

Anyway. It's a decent enough sci-fi action film, but I wouldn't say it's a great Star Wars film. There's no magic, the characters are boring and it relies heavily on nostalgia. 2/10 as a Star Wars film, but a solid 7 as sci-fi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017
    Oh yeah. Spoilers. Whatever. It's a film.