• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Watched ALIEN: COVENANT the other night. Was a bit disappointed by it overall. I am not warming to Scott's attempt to crowbar some sort of over-arching story to the franchise.

All I remember of the score is Goldsmith's original and the snippets from PROMETHEUS. I enjoyed Goldsmith's score in the movie but I think he should have been credited a lot more than he was. There was a prominent credit for those who created the original characters and Goldsmith's score is a 'character' too. Yes, his score was butchered in the original. But, then again, asking someone who is not a film music fan, Anne did not connect any of the re-used music used in COVENANT.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Man of Steel is a solid film once you accept that is is not the Donner take on Superman.

I'm fine with it not being the Donner take on Superman. I'd settle for a good take on Superman. You sound like those Zimmer fanboys who say "you just hate the score because it's not Williams" when it not being Williams is the very last of that score's issues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017
    Logan

Well this was bloody brilliant.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Man of Steel is a solid film once you accept that is is not the Donner take on Superman.

I'm fine with it not being the Donner take on Superman. I'd settle for a good take on Superman. You sound like those Zimmer fanboys who say "you just hate the score because it's not Williams" when it not being Williams is the very last of that score's issues.

I myself had to come to terms with this no being the Donner Superman. The film and the score has grown on me. I regard both as solid, not as masterpieces.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017
    will stick with my older films
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017
    Frequency - 1999

Just a flat-out quality film. Suspense but with a heart as well. Far more entertaining than almost anything today, and this isn't even a "classic".
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  4. I did like that one. I may be remembering it more fondly than it deserves, however, since it was right after seeing that film in theaters that I first kissed the girl that would later become my wife! Fond memories smile. I should see that film again. I really did like it.
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    Frequency - 1999

Just a flat-out quality film. Suspense but with a heart as well. Far more entertaining than almost anything today, and this isn't even a "classic".

It's a great film indeed. Wonderfully told and very dramatic. I love movies that play with time love
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Thor wrote
    I think that in order to "get" MAN OF STEEL, you have to to be receptive to Zack Snyder's style and approach to filmmaking, which is often about celebrating excess, camp and a myriad of audiovisual ideas. I really dig it myself, which is why I liked this film. I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, so I like it more as a Snyder film than as a superhero or Superman film.

I'm a big Snyder fan. I think I'm the only one who loves Sucker Punch for the smart intellectual visual treat it is. But I didn't see a lot of Snyder in Man of Steel. It felt like Nolan from start to finish and the desire to copy paste Batman's serious style (which of course didn't work). Man of Steel is still a decent film, but if one tackled Superman really well for the recent generation then it was Bryan Singer who put a lot of heart in Superman Returns.

Superman Returns: 8 out of 10
    Sucker Punch: 7 out of 10
    Man of Steel: 5 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017 edited
    To me, Snyder (and Nolan) are the epitome of filmmakers who attempt to "Make you think that you're thinking" rather than making you actually think. People like to call their movies, "Really deep and thoughtful" but no one can specify what's deep about them other than, "It made me think about life...and stuff..."

I had someone tell me online that Batman v Superman's dialogue was amazing because, "It was full of metaphor and context."

I like my dialogue with a heaping plate of context!
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote

Man of Steel is still a decent film, but if one tackled Superman really well for the recent generation then it was Bryan Singer who put a lot of heart in Superman Returns.

Finally someone shares my view of that film. It go so lambasted. I like it a lot.

Volker
  8. The weird thing is that movie has a reputation of being not so great, and yet it has a pretty respectable 76% on Rotten Tomatoes. The same thing happened to Prometheus (widely disliked, 73%) and even The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which I've seen on a fair few "worst superhero film ever"-type lists, is holding itself just above water at 52%. I wonder why that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Man of Steel is still a decent film, but if one tackled Superman really well for the recent generation then it was Bryan Singer who put a lot of heart in Superman Returns.

Finally someone shares my view of that film. It go so lambasted. I like it a lot.

Volker

I kinda like SUPERMAN RETURNS too, although it completely lacks any visionary qualities.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which I've seen on a fair few "worst superhero film ever"-type lists, is holding itself just above water at 52%.

I'll never understand the hate for that movie. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is my favorite superhero movie. I felt like it was made by my future self to be everything I wanted in a comic book film.
  9. For me that would be Tim Burton's BATMAN of 1989.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017
    That's a great movie too smile
    "Bob...gun."
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017
    A good sci-fi film called Kronos. Anyone ever seen it?
  10. Nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017 edited
    Game of Thrones season 5

I'm guessing almost everybody here has seen it so I won't go praising something which everybody already thinks is downright brilliant except this.

Respect for Lena Headey : Must have taken some real guts to do that final scene of hers. One of the most harrowing sequences I've ever seen in a TV series.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017 edited
    Black Sails - Season 4, episode 9

The penultimate episode. sad
    I truly dread the last episode. What I know of the historical figures as well as from Treasure Island none of this can end well.
    But what a ride it's been.
    This season has been really gloomy and -at times- maybe a little to talkative, but overall it's all tying together excellently. And as to the entire series, what a fantastic vision this was. Wat a marvelous mix of Machiavellian politics, high-sea hi-jinx and period drama. Truly another major highlight in this, the Golden Age of television.

It's always a little sad having to know you are at the very end. Now it's fingers crossed to find another series again that is as immersive, spellbinding and well executed as this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm a little late to the party Martijn but I've just been loaned the first two seasons. Let the viewing commence me heartys.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't let the first season deter you (it's the slowest of the bunch, and some lazy acting (especially by Hannah "Eleanor Guthrie" New), but I swear it picks up, and gets to be SO good!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's is exactly what I was warned by my friend who passed me the set. I shall persevere through.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you owe it to yourself to watch Kronos
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    Game of Thrones season 5

I'm guessing almost everybody here has seen it so I won't go praising something which everybody already thinks is downright brilliant except this.

Respect for Lena Headey : Must have taken some real guts to do that final scene of hers. One of the most harrowing sequences I've ever seen in a TV series.

For me the best of all the Game of Thrones seasons.
    That scene is indeed difficult to watch. At some point you even have compassion for her.
    Still the scene that made my jaw drop was the finale of episode 8. Man I did not see such a battle coming at all. And episode 9 of course wasn't bad either wink
  12. I've done a complete 180 when it comes to this series (GoT). I hated it at first, couldn't get through the first season, the characters were appalling, unlikeable, the world was so bleak and violent, the storylines so complex and uninteresting and jumping all over the place.

Of course 5 seasons later, all those annoyances have melted like snow in the sun.

Season 3 was when I finally started appreciating the writing, the character relationships and storylines.

My favorite character: Tyrion Lannister played by Peter Dinklage. Small posture, great actor ! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017 edited
    I think you just described most people's reactions to the show, Gilles. Like you, I was also slightly put off by the myriad of characters and complex narratives in the first few episodes, but I was also struck by the awesome production values and 'realism' of it all, so I kept going. And it didn't take more than half of the first season before I was 'absorbed'.

I'm seeing the season 7 premiere in a big theatre here in Oslo, in a couple of weeks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017
    Funnily enough, it was the absolute reverse for me.

I started off wildly enthusiastically, but got less and less interested as the most favorable of plot solutions time and again was 'let's just kill him/her/them'. I quit during season 5, and don't miss it a bit.
    Still, what a fantastic opening credits segment!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Far from going off of GoT I think it just gets better and better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Far from going off of GoT I think it just gets better and better.

It does. Gets more focussed too.
    I am extremely serious.