• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017
    Does anyone watch anything other than superhero movies around here?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. There are OTHER films?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017 edited
    Thor wrote

I saw Julia Ducournau's RAW over the weekend, but considering the context of the thread I was afraid people would confuse it with a superhero film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

Just watched Ocean's 12 last night. Fairly entertaining.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. Thor wrote

I watched a couple old Tom Hanks movies recently - TURNER AND HOOCH and THE MAN WITH ONE RED SHOE. They weren't that good...

I think I'll go back to superhero movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

I saw Julia Ducournau's RAW over the weekend, but considering the context of the thread I was afraid people would confuse it with a superhero film.

I LOVED that movie. Saw it in Cannes. I was not as smitten as my colleagues, but loved the mix of satire, teenage angst, burlesque and coming-of-age.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

I LOVED that movie. Saw it in Cannes. I was not as smitten as my colleagues, but loved the mix of satire, teenage angst, burlesque and coming-of-age.

I'd consider "LOVED" in all caps too strong a sentiment, but it's certainly a good film. Wouldn't label it 'satire' though, since to me it's quite a serious metaphor for insecurity about your body, the awakening of lust and the insecurities that go with that. Although some scenes are rather amusing... in a dark way, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017
    Oh, I think it's very much a satire on contemporary youth culture too, cynical social media culture/influence for once being replaced with actual, physical interaction.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017
    Thor wrote

Says the man called Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Says the man called Thor.

His name is Thor...his real name...

Wait, that was the joke.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017 edited
    Well, I thought it was funny biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017
    I just recently viewed an incredible fire-works show!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017
    How to Train Your Dragon

I was listening to the soundtrack the other day, and realized I hadn't seen this for a while. Anyway, it's still the most perfectly paced animated movie since the Incredibles. How much of the enjoyment has to do with John Powells legendary score is debatable, but after it ended, I realized I hadn't been bored for a second.
  3. It is an excellent film, and I would argue that is helped a LOT by Powell's score. That test drive scene is just thrilling with Powell's music. It would have been significantly less exciting if the music weren't so fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017
    About to go watch "Spider-Man Homecoming" in the theatre...will get back on my thoughts soon smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017
    Spider Man Homecoming

My only quibble with this movie has to do with the finale. [spoiler]The fight between Vulture and Peter felt boring,
    I wish they'd utilized all the interesting technology in a better way during that battle
    [/spoiler]. Aside from that, this was just fantastic, and it all comes down to Holland and Keaton's performances, they knock it out of the park; especially Keaton. You'll know what I mean if you see it when I say the Car Scene is intensely uncomfortable due primarily to Keaton's incredible work. Great humor, great action, great characters. Small scale, so the stakes felt REAL, not apocalyptic. And Giacchino knocked it of the park.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017
    Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Does Whatever A Spider Can

Really enjoyed this. As pointed out above Holland and Keaton, especially Keaton were great. Loads of geeky nods to everything Marvel and stayed right to the very end credits for a pretty funny moment.

Loved Giacchino's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Does Whatever A Spider Can

Really enjoyed this. As pointed out above Holland and Keaton, especially Keaton were great. Loads of geeky nods to everything Marvel and stayed right to the very end credits for a pretty funny moment.

Loved Giacchino's score.

Agreed on all points. It was great fun. I loved all the little nods to the comics that we've never seen in a Spidey film before. It's one of Marvel's best so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017
    If any of you remember the creature from the black lagoon from 1954. For its day it was very good.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

My first time ever watching this movie.

Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lord knows I've tried watching those movies, but they're so boring. On a scale from 0 to Blade Runner, I'd say they're about an 8 on the boring scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Lord knows I've tried watching those movies, but they're so boring. On a scale from 0 to Blade Runner, I'd say they're about an 8 on the boring scale.

On a scale from slighly eccentric to incurably certifiable, you rate roughly four Gwyneth Paltrows and one Johnny Depp.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017 edited
    sdtom wrote
    If any of you remember the creature from the black lagoon from 1954. For its day it was very good.

Ah! One of the fantastic classic Universal monsters. Very entertaining film, although I have to admit to always having been slightly mystified how the Creature achieved such legendary status amongst the -in my opinion- much more appealing Mummy, Phantom, Frankenstein and Dracula!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

Leone definitely makes you live the hardships with the characters, but I personally loved it. By the end of the movie, it was an absolute nail-biter. It's full of quirky moments accented by Morricone's brilliant score.

It helps that I watched it in two sittings, each 1.5 hours long, rather than injesting all three hours.
  5. I love every second of Sergio Leone's westerns. Same goes for Sam Peckinpah.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

On a scale from slighly eccentric to incurably certifiable, you rate roughly four Gwyneth Paltrows and one Johnny Depp.

How kind you are. I'd throw in a couple of Charlie Sheen's too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    I love every second of Sergio Leone's westerns. Same goes for Sam Peckinpah.

Volker

Agreed!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017
    I recently viewed the new doctor announcement. First female doctor. I'm sure that will go over well with all the hardcore sci-fi fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017 edited
    I'm sure they'll get over it.

(That said, I do wish they'd had waited at least one incarnation: for the Doctor to 'regenderate' right afer the Master did seems somehow less interesting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017
    Actually, I'm seeing more people mad at people mad at it being a woman than there are people mad at it being a woman.