• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017
    i hereby revoke the world 'always'
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I didn't care for the film or the score especially together
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited
    UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE on BBC 2

I demolished Britains finest brains in both a classical music round and a film music round.

Numpties thought Out of Africa was by Zimmer, Midnight Express by Kraftwerk and tried Zimmer again when the theme from The Hateful 8 was played. Some kudos for them getting Goldsmith right when The Omen was played, I thought they might have said Carl Orff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Timmer wrote
    Out of Africa was by Zimmer...

lol
  1. Were they multiple choice questions?

Still what ridiculous answers. Zimmer was still in The Buggles when Barry was doing Out of Africa. rolleyes

I'm sure The Omen was a lucky guess... dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Were they multiple choice questions?

Still what ridiculous answers. Zimmer was still in The Buggles when Barry was doing Out of Africa. rolleyes

I'm sure The Omen was a lucky guess... dizzy

Just edited my post, it was UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE not Mastermind, a long running UK tv quiz with teams from universities all over the country compete against each other. No multiple choice questions. There was no mention of which films the music was from until answers were given out.

University Challenge most famous participant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE on BBC 2

I demolished Britains finest brains in both a classical music round and a film music round.

Numpties thought Out of Africa was by Zimmer, Midnight Express by Kraftwerk and tried Zimmer again when the theme from The Hateful 8 was played. Some kudos for them getting Goldsmith right when The Omen was played, I thought they might have said Carl Orff.

The Goldsmith is actually remarkable. Very few "normal folks" even know the name Jerry Goldsmith.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017
    King Arthur Legend of the Sword

I love love love Ritchie's action style, and though I got the idea that this was trying to be an unconventional sword/sorcery movie, I felt that the glue connecting the action sequences was too generic. I felt Ritchie was almost going for a "Grand Budapest Hotel" style feel, ultra stylized/offbeat/quirky. But the only quirks were really in the style of shooting, not in the actual storytelling/plot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2017
    Guy ritchie's style was marvelous and ingenious in lock, stock and two smoking barrels and also snatch and then it went downhill from there. Overpriced and overhyped with no real substance. Must be those Madonna years screwing up with his head. biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2017
    Demetris wrote
    Guy ritchie's style was marvelous and ingenious in lock, stock and two smoking barrels and also snatch and then it went downhill from there. Overpriced and overhyped with no real substance. Must be those Madonna years screwing up with his head. biggrin

Haven't seen either of those movies yet. Just discovered him recently. Liked Man from Uncle, LOVED Sherlock Game of Shadows.
  2. Fast & Furious 8

I love this franchise. There I've said it, and am not ashamed of it. It's basically the only big movie franchise anymore that keeps on delivering the goods (my kind of goods). For action junkies there's enough testosterone-filled spectacle which is just one aspect of Fast & Furious, because the other one definitely is the emphasis on the characters and the strong family bond they share. It's evident again in this installment, just like it was with Fast Five, because there's the old gang (minus a few) and at least one new face. As for the action scenes: absolutely amazingly intense and exquisitely filmed. A total thrill ride, and enough jaw-dropping moments if you like that stuff. Of course our heroes need a good villain and Charlize Theron does a pretty good job with this, she's as icy cold as she's unpredictable. Now if one just likes to ignore some more questionable plot developments which I won't spoil, I don't see how anyone cannot have a great time with this film (franchise).

There's one negative point: the score is once again an atrocious affair by my least favorite composer. And I won't go into more detail than that because I'll just stir something up again and I have no desire to go there anymore. So I'll just state for the record that the music blows big time and is not worth mentioning at all. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. While not his worst score by any means (though that one belongs to this particular franchise, actually), it's definitely one of Tyler's lesser works. Since the very good Truth he had a bit of a downer when it comes to form, which was brought back by The Mummy, which I find quite good, but not exactly delivering what it promised.

I haven't seen a Fast and Furious film since part 2. I don't really intend to, either, really.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Fast & Furious 8

I love this franchise. There I've said it, and am not ashamed of it.

Nor should you be. Once it gets going, the mythology of this series is envelopping. And I don't even care about cars.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    please don't use the word mythology to describe the Fast and Furious movies.
  4. Yeah, because those movies are super-realistic! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm just dreading that a hundred years from now, there will be classes on 'symbolism in american mythology', about the Dom Toretto Complex.
  5. In a hundred years from now they will marvel at the stupidity of our transport system. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. It's just big action-packed entertainment. There's nothing more to search for. These movies don't take themselves too seriously, and people looking for something deeper hidden under the surface won't find it.

I'm just glad for the non-convoluted storylines unlike in the endless barrage of soulless superhero films we nowadays get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    please don't use the word mythology to describe the Fast and Furious movies.

Mythology is a fitting word, I think. But if the more neutral 'backstories' or 'fictional universe' suits you better, I'm fine with that too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm looking forwards to discussing the mythology of the emoji movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017 edited
    I realize you don't think much of the F&F series, but there's a lot going on in that series that goes beyond surface. Especially from the third movie onwards. I was skeptical when I started watching it too (I went through all movies about 3 or 4 years ago, and have kept up since), but was then sold after my colleague -- who is an avid art movie lover, first and foremost -- spoke so warmly about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ff...pf, yes, a lot going on in there when you are a teen with pimples wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    It reminds me of how some people pushed this idea to establish the Harry Potter series as "Holocaust Literature", given that you can draw parallels between the two...or something... It seems as if some people who enjoy something lowbrow can't admit it, and want to make it look like high-art so that they feel better about liking it. Personally, if I like a dumb action movie, I'll just admit I liked it.

I'm not at all talking about you, Thor, by the way. I agree that 'mythology', 'backstory', etc. the terms are somewhat synonymous. Your post just made me think about other things unrelated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    It seems as if some people who enjoy something lowbrow can't admit it, and want to make it look like high-art so that they feel better about liking it.

Well, sometimes things that are perceived as 'lowbrow' can just as easily be misunderstood -- like when you do satire of superficiality by using a seemingly superficial aesthetic, celebrating the very thing it's making a point out of (Michael Bay's brilliant PAIN & GAIN comes to mind). For me, the F&F series is exactly that -- like the lavish, "music video" sequences before the races -- with scantily clad women, neon lights, thunderous soundtrack and testosterone seeping out of every visual corner.

I've always been a believer in not dimissing anything untill I've decided what the film's "project" is. And by 'project' in this case, I mean both the possible intentions of the director, but also values that I personally read into it, but that may not have been intended.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    But how can you tell if something is supposed to be taken seriously or not? What has someone like Bay said that would indicate he's making a satire. He said in an interview he makes movies for teenage boys.

I agree with you on your second point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    But how can you tell if something is supposed to be taken seriously or not? What has someone like Bay said that would indicate he's making a satire. He said in an interview he makes movies for teenage boys.

Like I said, there's what the director says and there's what the viewer interprets/says. Both are valid. Sometimes, you can use a director's comment in defense of your own interpretation. Sometimes, you cannot. And sometimes, there are no comments from the director at all (many, like Lynch, prefer to have the audience do all the interpreting).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    So how did you come to the idea it was a satire?
  7. @ Thor: Sometimes it seems your film analysis is more exegesis than interpretation. You make things fit your agenda. Anyway, choreography and visual / sound composition in these films - for what little of them I have seen - is excellent.

@ Aidabaida: Off topic. I wouldn't call Harry Potter "low brow". Rowling is a terrific writer, especially for young readers. The story in itself surely is derived from various sources (but then little in that genre isn't), but the writing is excellent. (For young readers!) What's more, the way she incorporates a topic like racism (Muggles) in an adventure story without being didactic and intrusive is commendable.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's not just some random idea. I base it on what I'm presented in the film (from characters to visual ideas) and what I know about Michael Bay and his style. It's also a fairly common interpretation in reviews, so I'm not alone in that particular angle. For example:

http://lakefrontrow.com/why-pain-gain-i … al-satire/
    https://nyulocal.com/pain-and-gain-is-m … b46eaa771a
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movi … iewed.html

etc., etc.

There are many ways to "unlock" a movie. If other people don't think there's any satire or self-parody in a film like PAIN & GAIN, that's OK. I think there is. Plenty of it. It's what makes it so great.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    michael bay and brilliant on the same sentence. only Thor man smile this is why i like him biggrin