• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's a brilliant film. In fact, I will discuss Silence on a conference, due to the way Scorsese used the real Jesuit thought to create the character, but also to let that mystical thought define the approach he took to the film itself.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017
    I just finished the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell TV show! I can't give this miniseries, a story of magic's restoration in 19th century Britain, a high enough recommendation. It is a globetrotting epic that manages to create and develop a fascinating world in only 7 hour-long episodes. Is it as good as the incredible book? In it's own way, it's better, substituting the more measured pace of the book for a relentless, thrilling adventure. The casting is great, the writing is great, the effects are measured but done with imagination. Watching it after finishing the novel was so enjoyable.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2016)

Missed it in theaters, but thankfully got to redeem that as part of the Martin Scorsese exhibition at the Eye Film Institute today. Wow. This film left me stunned. Gripping all the way through in all its slow-burning artistry. Scorsese obviously threw away all of his regular, more commercially appealing mannerisms and delivered a film not for the masses or the box offices, but a pure cinematic experience.

Although I do not feel or personally understand the deep all-encompassing faith that is apparently worth so many sacrifices, this is all the more for me a film which explores these emotions and this phenomenon of the human spirit. It may be baffling how people endure so much torture for the unwillingness to denounce their God for a moment, but that exists, and Silence portrays it so intensely. Sure, the film stumbles a few moments, but this is minor. It's one of the best films of the year.

I had planned to watch something else in the evening when I got home, but now I can't put my mind on something else and don't want Silence to stop lingering. Apparently that's the impression it left on me.

I really wanted to like this, but I had major problems it; mostly to do with some charicatured and overplayed portrayals (esp. the"bad guys"). I had also hoped it was more nature-oriented (more malickian 'faith' as mirrored in 'God's nature'), but it didn't really grab me on that level either. So I mostly fluctuated between being bored or indifferent and being annoyed, even though I recognized several values as well.

While I appreciate many films of Scorsese, he's never been a favourite of mine. I remember when people -- including my colleagues -- went all bananas over WOLF OF STREET, but to me it warranted no more than a special mention that year. I think it has a lot to do with his reliance on dialogue (and often information-heavy dialogue) that robs me of the audiovisual experience.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That's interesting, because the audio-visual aspect of Scorsese is sometimes about going against the information-heavy dialogue. It's a somehow different approach, still probably somewhere deeper into the New Wave sentiments, which I'm not really capable of discussing.

Scorsese is to me a major subjectivist. He tries to recreate the character's experience which leads to some fantastic avant-garde scenes not just in the likes of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull (manipulating the size of the ring to represent LaMotta's state of mind), but even Aviator (the stark blue and red lights during the self-detox sequence) and, yes, Kundun (the constantly-present visual metaphor, developed throughout the film) and Silence.

The Malickian element of nature is less present than it possibly could be, but there might be a different element in play there. Will say what it could be if I confirm or deny that hypothesis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017
    who wrote the music for the film? or is it standard copy paste salad soup from various different things here and there like mallick etc?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Kathryn and Kim Allen Kluge. It was not enjoyable at all on its own. Can't speak for how it worked in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017 edited
    It's practically non-existent in the film. I'm saying "practically" only because of two short moments in which I was aware of a soft choir. Maybe some of the other sound effect tracks on the album were present in the film, but that I would firmly call "sound effects". And I'm usually incredibly aware of any kind of music in film.
  4. More like concrete music as I was told.

The film really plays a trick with you when it comes to what is the score. I was told how this is not music (definitely it goes far more in defying music as we know it than Dunkirk, for that matter) and how it can't be heard in the film. And then I heard the first cue somewhere in the beginning in the film, that Cosmic Beam drone (there's your Malick connection, Demetris smile ) . Then it's relegated to unmotivated sound effects (bird songs in the middle of a cave, for example), some distant shakuhachi or Christian choir where it's impossible to be motivated (again, in a cave, as I remember).

Since I was told there's no music and that drone moment (track called Meditation, hint hint) proved me otherwise, I watched the film with a stronger focus than I usually did. Turns out, I probably went into this exactly as Scorsese intended the movie to be.

It's not an easy film. If you lose focus, you're not into it anymore. That's, actually, not far from a Malick film (which is why I postponed watching Tree of Life two times, not to lose the first images. Best decision ever. You won't understand the film without the opening Job quote). It's very slow, deliberate. Shows its heart through its complete detachment. Also, quite anti-Scorsese. If you look for stuff as visually elaborate as the big Copacabana steadicam shot, just stay away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017
    Pf. Scorsese and Mallick are the worst with music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017
    Quite the contrary, they are some of the most musically conscious directors around; especially in terms of how they employ existing music in their movies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017 edited
    Exactly, that seems to be the contradiction; the directors who are most knowledgeable of and hands-on with music, without being an actual composer, tend to also be the ones who want to control it the most, as they also have the strongest opinion of what the music should do to their films, as opposed to directors without such knowledge who are more eager to hand over this responsibility to someone who knows what he's doing and can advise them.

Being control-freaks as they are, especially the auteurs with their own stamp on their films, want to keep it in their hands the most, resulting in the use of pre-existing music instead of giving that responsibility away in the hands of someone else. In that way they can have the most control over the shaping of their film. Case in point, also: Quentin Tarantino. Unless they can find someone they trust unequivocally, for example with Wes Anderson and Desplat who was able to create a sound that fits Anderson's personal style to a T, and which for Tarantino turned out to only happen with Morricone (sure, and Rodriguez, but only with Kill Bill vol.2 and I'd argue that this hurt the film).

Otherwise, as with Malick, these directors tend to want someone to compose a symphony of music based on their script so they can then treat that music as if it were precomposed source but without any limitations of purchasing fees and rights, and still have to freedom to do with it as they like, or leave it whenever they don't find it suits their vision the most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let the composers do their job ffs. no matter what you think, they know better 'cause it's their friggin job wink you focus on directing etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Let the composers do their job ffs. no matter what you think, they know better 'cause it's their friggin job wink you focus on directing etc.

That's a rather odd statement to make, as the director is not only there to direct the actors, but -- ideally -- to have some sort of overarching vision of the whole film, and its many elements. Including the music. That doesn't mean he should know how to compose, but that he should know what the music should do in any given sequence.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yeah, being hands-on with the music writing process is exactly focusing on directing, etc.

The director supervises pre-production, production and post-production. Writing music is part of post-production, As simple as that.

And try telling that to Scorsese who had a piano on the set of Goodfellas. Why? Because he was designing the camera work in the famous Layla montage sequence around the music. He would play the piano part while filming to make sure the camera's rhythm aligns.
  6. In case of Silence it's actually a huge part of the design as the characters are Jesuits.

The thing with Jesuit spirituality is that you have to focus on your senses. It actually highly affected even Baroque poetry, what is called the use of the senses (applicatio sensuum). As part of the meditation retreat (because the "spiritual exercises" are essentially, ideally, a month-long retreat) you have to "feel" the Earth Jesus walked on and so on.

If you manage to notice the score in the film you have a stronger sensory focus. You are watching it with stronger intent, you focus on detail. The film becomes a meditative experience. Considering the fact that the main character actually quotes Loyola's book at one point and the actors went through the exercises. According to the Jesuit who consulted the project (James Martin, SJ) everyone was really down to include whatever he had to say about the "Jesuit experience" and everything they talked about was included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/

cheesy fun
    listen to more classical music!
  7. Why are you linking your main page? You make it seem like your website was cheesy fun smile
  8. Kong Skull Island

I didn’t have high expectations for this film and found myself pleasantly surprised. It is well made entertainment. What surprised me was that it is much more of an intelligent re-adaptation than I thought it was. (Despite the missing New York part that I didn’t miss at all here.) I liked the cast, the visuals, a certain lightness to the story, the fact, that the male and female lead didn’t fall in love all of a sudden. I also liked the Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now references. Jackman’s score I found adequate but nothing I’d necessarily want to own on CD.
    This prompted me to revisit

Godzilla (2014).

While Kong is fine entertainment, this one is a true masterpiece. The cast, the pacing, the build-up, the score by Desplat, all flows together in one of the best creature features since Jaws.
    At this point the prospect of further Monarch/Monsterverse flicks by Warner/Legendary for me is highly appealing.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. I thought the cast in both those movies was underwhelming. Hiddleston and whats-his-face-from-Kick-Ass respectively are both pretty bland. Both films are at their best when focusing on the monsters. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017
    Alien: Covenant

Loved this movie; wasn't bored for a second. I went into it with low expectations and came out grinning - it was so good! It reminded me of one of Lovecraft's stories, in that the beat-to-beat of the plot is fairly predictable, but the execution and pacing is so good you hardly care. I feel as if the first 30 minutes ought to be a how-to guide for writing Sci-Fi, a pitch-perfect, tense, setup.

And the new CGI on the aliens was very odd and disturbing. They look like living artworks, and they're constantly vibrating and moving. It made them feel truly alien and bizarre.
  10. Aidabaida wrote

And the new CGI on the aliens was very odd and disturbing. They look like living artworks, and they're constantly vibrating and moving. It made them feel truly alien and bizarre.

And yet they will complain that the old physical models looked so much better... wink
  11. Aidabaida wrote

Loved this movie; wasn't bored for a second. I went into it with low expectations and came out grinning - it was so good! It reminded me of one of Lovecraft's stories, in that the beat-to-beat of the plot is fairly predictable, but the execution and pacing is so good you hardly care. I feel as if the first 30 minutes ought to be a how-to guide for writing Sci-Fi, a pitch-perfect, tense, setup.

I saw this one today as well. I on the other hand wasn't that excited by it. I wasn't bored by it, but this is not an Alien movie for me. For me this is more a 2001 film. There are some good scenes, and the first birth of the Alien hybrids is pretty intense. Too bad the finale (with the actual Alien) is pretty lame (hardly any tension at all and it was already over before it started). Plus like nobody saw the climax coming at the end, for real script writers?)

There were some highlights in this one, but too much felt like David this and David that. It should have been called David: An Alien Love Story, because he really had a hard one for those Aliens. And don't get me started on the music, delivering absolutely nothing of any importance. No danger, no excitement, no thrill. Not even for the discovery of the Alien ship, it just meanders along.

Worth a look, but hardly a knock out for me.
    6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I saw this one today as well. I on the other hand wasn't that excited by it. I wasn't bored by it, but this is not an Alien movie for me. For me this is more a 2001 film. There are some good scenes, and the first birth of the Alien hybrids is pretty intense. Too bad the finale (with the actual Alien) is pretty lame (hardly any tension at all and it was already over before it started). Plus like nobody saw the climax coming at the end, for real script writers?)

There were some highlights in this one, but too much felt like David this and David that. It should have been called David: An Alien Love Story, because he really had a hard one for those Aliens. And don't get me started on the music, delivering absolutely nothing of any importance. No danger, no excitement, no thrill. Not even for the discovery of the Alien ship, it just meanders along.

6 out of 10

someone suggested that Ridley Scott knew the xenomorphs aren't really scary any more, so he had a new creepy character instead: David. I agree that the 'twist' was obvious, but I think it was supposed to be. If I were the screenwriters I would've [spoiler]explicitly shown David kill Walter and not even feign an attempt to hide it[/spoiler]...

I felt that if "Alien" was horror and "Aliens" was action, this was more straight sci-fi, attempting to tell an interesting story about a strange, puzzling planet (David's lair was really fascinating!) instead of attempting to be 'scary'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017
    Loved the alien covenant film but then again i might be biased 'cause i adore Fassbender's work. The score was dreadfully mediocre and autopilotish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017
    Well, I've made it pretty clear in earlier postings -- I think ALIEN: COVENANT is one of the best films of the year, and the score one of the year's best as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Aidabaida wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

6 out of 10

someone suggested that Ridley Scott knew the xenomorphs aren't really scary any more, so he had a new creepy character instead: David. I agree that the 'twist' was obvious, but I think it was supposed to be. If I were the screenwriters I would've [spoiler]explicitly shown David kill Walter and not even feign an attempt to hide it[/spoiler]...

I felt that if "Alien" was horror and "Aliens" was action, this was more straight sci-fi, attempting to tell an interesting story about a strange, puzzling planet (David's lair was really fascinating!) instead of attempting to be 'scary'.

The Alien is still scary, ... when done right. Here it's out in the open and the movie never plays on the claustrophobic tension of the first 2 films. Even in Aliens the space was always confined so you knew they could never go far (aliens and marines). When I saw the trailer and how Waterston was running around like Ripley in Aliens, I felt it could have been a return to that claustropic'ness (if that's a word). But no they just send it off into space without any sort of tense development. Again it had good scenes, but overall I felt nothing special the moment it ended.

And that much talked about shower scene, pfff 20 seconds of what? To show a boob?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  13. The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Am I the only one who finds the capsizing / ball room flooding scenes in this version much more scary than those in the 2006 remake? The cast and the iconic score by Williams make this a classic disaster flick.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Am I the only one who finds the capsizing / ball room flooding scenes in this version much more scary than those in the 2006 remake? The cast and the iconic score by Williams make this a classic disaster flick.

Volker

Love that film, really the first disaster movie. Nostalgic reasons, yes, but when I saw it again just a few years ago, I thought it held up pretty well. However, the score is one of my least favourite Williams scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Volker

Love that film, really the first disaster movie. Nostalgic reasons, yes, but when I saw it again just a few years ago, I thought it held up pretty well. However, the score is one of my least favourite Williams scores.

While I never wanted to own it on CD, in context it works great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    As a completist, I HAD to own it. But the good thing is that the CD also included CONRACK and THE PAPER CHASE. So no loss.
    I am extremely serious.