• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2017 edited
    Without really spoiling the plot, still in spoiler tags because I want as much people as possible to go into this as blank as possible, but if you're reading all these reviews anyway, this is why a lot of people hate it so much:

[spoiler]All this negativity about mother! amongst its audience is easily explainable because first of all, you need to be able to adjust your expectations during the film, to accept that you're not getting the film, and so the night out you thought you were getting. It is deliberately being advertised for something it is not - with a reason. People think they're getting a quick scare with big Hollywood names, and they're getting something a lot more challenging which is also extremely in your face. And once you've taken THAT hurdle, then comes the whole, did you like it / did you think it's good? It means a large part of the audience will consist of people that are not usually into this kind of film, of people who like film because of its escapism qualities. That's why mother! is such a gamble and such a curiosity.[/spoiler]

By the way, it happens all the time whenever a big star with a built in audience does something different. Ryan Gosling attracted a group of girls in our screening of Only God Forgives that didn't last the whole film, Colin Farrell made sure The New World screened in big mainstream cinemas for an audience who did not know who Terrence Malick was and thought they were getting a romantic adventure, the article-mentioned Solaris remake attracted people that wanted to see Clooney's ass but had no idea who Tarkovsky is, Black Swan had Natalie Portman and all that Oscar attention which made my then boss go with his wife to it think it was a drama about ballerina's, more than half of my audience of Sweeney Todd (and the room was PACKED when the film started) left after they realized it was a musical, they probably just went for Depp, while Tree of Life cinema's had to put up posters for the Brad Pitt audience to tell them it was NOT an easy drama, the list goes on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2017
    I've seen silver linings...didn't like it. is winter's bone any good? oh God. Why her? most of the reviewers rave about the film but what people say is what worries me. Audiences report a complete lack of chemistry between director and leading star. anyway i'll try to be unbiased, as much as possible smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting, all the films you mention above, i loved with the exception of the new world which was a mess. I am all in for surprises and never expect anything when i go to films. Hope i love it, but one thing i don't wanna see is Arronofsky playing Von trier, and i am not sure about Jenni from the block wink i'll try to be as neutral as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Colin Farrell made sure The New World screened in big mainstream cinemas for an audience who did not know who Terrence Malick was and thought they were getting a romantic adventure,

....including James Horner, rest his soul.

But yes, while we disagree on the merits of the film, I think you're right that it being advertised as a horror/home invasion film with big stars like Jennifer Lawrence, Ed Harris, Javier Bardem, Michelle Pfeiffer, will have a lot of regular cinemagoers leaving the film midway; at least during the third act.

My issue is more that it doesn't live up the ambition Aronofsky thinks it has (the story came to him in a "fever dream", he said at the Venice press conference two weeks ago). [spoiler]All the allegories (religious and otherwise) are painfully obvious, and it struggles with narrative flow. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is pretty one-note, and at some point during the last apocalyptic act, her constant "Oh no. What's happening? Let me out!" become aggravating rather than involving. But I did like the first act quite a bit.[/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But it's Lawrence, it's expected 'cause she is very limited. Nice booty though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    She is a bit limited (as of now), but she's had some great roles when appropriately cast. As Bob said, you should check out WINTER'S BONE. Her breakthrough role still remains her best, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    But it's Lawrence, it's expected 'cause she is very limited. Nice booty though wink

I personally think you just limited yourself to the Jennifer Lawrence films that show one side of her acting that's more in tune with her public persona, while her performance in mother! is in every way completely different. It's actually so much against type, that this might trigger the responses how she is not "in tune with her director", people are not used to see her this way and they love that public persona, so they want to see her in that light, and any other way irks them? So either this proves to be a revelation for you that she cán stretch (a revelation many had with something like Winter's Bone I believe), or just like your you're annoyed with the character.

Which, to react to Thor, I think is very much in tune with the concept of the film. THESE SPOILER TAGS ARE ACTUALLY SPOILER TAGS! NOT FOR YOU DEMETRIS, KEEP OUT! [spoiler]She is playing a woman that is constantly in shock of how people take advantage of her, abuse her, and yes, I do feel where you are coming from, maybe also because Jennifer is usually a woman so in charge of the situation, and now she's a pinball of fate, so in a way, yes, extremely against type, but I understand and respect the choices made, and probably because I was in a similar state of WTF I wasn't really bothered by it. I think a big part of it is: do you let the film overwhelm you, are you on board for the ride, and in that case you just let it all wash over you and you come out really positive, such overtaken by that ride that all its heavy handed symbolism you take for granted, and being positive about the film you're more open for its message, but if enough details bother you to not accept that ride, the final act will REALLY aggrivate you. That's why it's such a love it / hate it film. For me and the friend I was with, it was really cool that we could for days still whatsapp each other with new realizations about what symbolized what. It's also just a fun biblical puzzle.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wanted to respond to that, but it will be rather hellish with all these spoiler tags. Perhaps wait a bit untill more people have seen it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    I wanted to respond to that, but it will be rather hellish with all these spoiler tags. Perhaps wait a bit untill more people have seen it?

Agreed, on the assumption that after a while it will become more widely known [spoiler]what the film exactly is.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes. It's rather difficult to have any kind of meaningful discourse about the film without taking the last act into consideration.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. You fought in the Clone Wars?

II
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What the hell kind of cryptic posts are you making, Volker? Something STAR WARSey?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm getting every single reference.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I believe I got the previous one - I'm lost on the relevance of this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2017
    Nerds!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Alien Covenant

Alien meets 2001 meets Blade Runner. This is a visual feast. It is also still decently entertaining although by now you know the way of the xenomorph. My biggest issue with this film is the character development. Most of them remain bland and nondescript (or they are annoying), so you don't mind them being killed off very much. Prometheus I liked better but this is still worth a watch and maybe another in a while.

Volker
  3. So, what I told you was true - from a certain point of view.

III
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2017
    Nerd!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017
    Hardly a nerd, this is basic star wars stuff.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NEEEEEEEERD!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    As a metonymical echo, the term "mutual implication" reverbs in Peter Larsen's expansion of the barthesian term "ancrage" -- the text that "anchors" a picture's meaning - Thor

you're not innocent of the nerd virus either
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL! Well played, Aidabaida. I have no idea how you managed to dig that up.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ummmm? We're on a film music forum, nothing nerdy about that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Nerd-power wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

during a two hour stretch of reading old Film Score Monthly articles one lazy weekend

Timmer wrote

yeah, we're always talking about metonymical echoes of barthesian ancrages.
  4. On the topic of Mother!, all I can say is that I am glad I have read review so that there's something to hang on to when I see this later. Definitely a case of being prepared beforehand. I like my movies simply told, and not allegorical or metaphorical storytelling.

But, there's a meal out beforehand, and I can't pass up on a free meal out!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    On the topic of Mother!, all I can say is that I am glad I have read review so that there's something to hang on to when I see this later. Definitely a case of being prepared beforehand. I like my movies simply told, and not allegorical or metaphorical storytelling.

But, there's a meal out beforehand, and I can't pass up on a free meal out!

I bailed out in the end. The film just doesn't appeal to me at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

during a two hour stretch of reading old Film Score Monthly articles one lazy weekend

Timmer wrote

yeah, we're always talking about metonymical echoes of barthesian ancrages.

..."counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor…”
    Hmpfh.
    Death's too good for them
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Our daughter in York has recently started a part-time job in one of the theatres in the city. And, now that she's earning a bit of extra cash, she has splashed out on a Netfix subscription - and she has added us to her account.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on what to watch?

(And it looks like she's set this up just in time for watching Star Trek: Discovery!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Alien Covenant

Alien meets 2001 meets Blade Runner. This is a visual feast. It is also still decently entertaining although by now you know the way of the xenomorph. My biggest issue with this film is the character development. Most of them remain bland and nondescript (or they are annoying), so you don't mind them being killed of very much. Prometheus I liked better but this is still worth a watch and maybe another in a while.

Volker

I just watched this too. I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus and didn't think this was anywhere near as good. It is indeed a visual feast, as would be expected, but it was all very predictable and agree about the characters.