• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017 edited
    I don't have much time for the film festival of Gent this year, but we planned 2 films and tonight's WSA.

On Monday, I saw Call Me By Your Name, which was an impressive film about first love between a 17 year old boy and older student. What impressed me most was the acting of Elio (Timothée Chalamet). No clichés in the movie either. The movie takes its time well and all is so natural. The speech by the dad near the end is something you'll remember for a long time. Good music selection too, including funky British 80ies pop. biggrin

On Friday we go to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017 edited
    My colleagues have raved about CALL ME BY YOUR NAME for months now and have already labelled it the best film of the year. Alas, since I've not attended the same festivals as they have, I've not been able to see it myself (it premieres in Norway January next year), which is HUGELY frustrating. There's a chance I won't like it as well as they (and you) did, of course, but it always bugs me when I miss "hot potato" films within a given year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017 edited
    War for the Planet of the Apes

one of the poorest major blockbusters i've seen in some time. absolute garbage. there was writing in this movie almost flabbergasting in its sheer disregard for logic and basic storytelling conventions (pro tip: its probably not a good idea to insert a random avalanche at the end when you've written yourself into a corner).

after watching a movie like A GHOST STORY that managed to be confident, moving, and thrilling with almost no dialogue, its frustrating to go to an amateurish project that tries the same sort of thing with embarrassing results.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017
    I quite liked WAR, currently featured on my 40th place out of 105 2017 movies seen so far. Although I DID dislike the score. But both RISE and DAWN were superior movies of the remakes.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I loved War.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. The score is great. I'll certainly need an expansion of it to relish in all its glory. biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Aidabaida wrote
    War for the Planet of the Apes

one of the poorest major blockbusters i've seen in some time. absolute garbage. there was writing in this movie almost flabbergasting in its sheer disregard for logic and basic storytelling conventions (pro tip: its probably not a good idea to insert a random avalanche at the end when you've written yourself into a corner).

Look, Thor! You have a fellow helper in the "unsubstantiated hyperbole" department!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    The score is great. I'll certainly need an expansion of it to relish in all its glory. biggrin

Yeah, Giacchino really did his best to rescue it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Rescue it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The opposite is true. The film was fine, but Giacchino was one of the elements that tipped it negatively.

This is the truth. There are no other truths. You must obey.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Between the two of you, you have the truth.
  4. Must have to do with those long Norwegian winters ... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Rescue it.

he was the only thing in the movie with any energy whatsoever. when all the characters spend their time glowering and brooding, the plot is a boring string of "and then this happened" and there's a single action scene, it falls to the composer to add some sort of momentum. he did his best.
  5. Only just started watching STRANGER THINGS tonight. Despite me having a long-standing dislike of dramas that prominently feature groups of kids, i think that i will give this a go.

Hopefully it will last longer than STAR TREK DISCOVERY - I lasted only 3 episodes with that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hopefully it will last longer than STAR TREK DISCOVERY - I lasted only 3 episodes with that.

I like it. I've never cared about STAR TREK in any shape or form, but this seems more up my alley -- more gritty, more of a story arc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

I like it. I've never cared about STAR TREK in any shape or form, but this seems more up my alley -- more gritty, more of a story arc.

shocked
  6. Did you like ENTERPRISE? It did have an overarching story arch.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Did you like ENTERPRISE? It did have an overarching story arch.

Volker

I can't remember. I think I watched maybe 3-4 episodes before calling it quits on that. It was a bit "too STAR TREKKEY".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I don't care that it's not really Star Trek, but I do care whether it's any good. Despite it having the most entertaining abbreviation, it is by far the least interesting Trek series. One of the biggest problems is its main character: a perpetual sourpuss, but also a super intelligent badass. Those things combine to make a character impossible to relate to.

The other thing is the design of the world. The Klingons have been reduced to monsters with no facial gestures, their ships have no discernible shape (making it difficult to see who is fighting who in space battles), and the Discovery itself, although clearly based on one of Ralph McQuarrie's drawings, looks clunky and frankly out of place. I dunno, maybe it will grow on me... but then I'd have to watch more episodes, and I can't say I have enough time to watch a show I don't like.
  7. Yes, it's not much like "proper" STAR TREK, but i don't like any of the characters, everything's so dark, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, it's not much like "proper" STAR TREK, but i don't like any of the characters, everything's so dark, etc.

I think the 'dark 'aspect is what attracts me to it. Never cared for the brightness, campness and political correctness of the previous shows. I think, in a similar vein, that's also why the only STARGATE show I could ever stomach was the last one, STARGATE: UNIVERSE (cancelled much too soon). The closer a sci fi show can get to something like the BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA reboot, the better.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I haven't seen the series yet, but having seen all the cinematic pre-Abrams films I wish there was something with deeper exploration of the philosophical themes Star Trek stood for. And I'm not talking about the utopic quality. There was always a hard sci-fi element to Star Trek that was more or less played with in the films (The Motion Picture is bona fide metaphysical film, Wrath of Khan is much more visceral and on the other hand ethics are very prominent in An Undiscovered Country; of course The Final Frontier attempts at philosophy, but then you have Scotty knowing his ship so well that... he hits himself in the head seconds after saying that... at least there's Jerry Goldsmith to save the day).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, it's not much like "proper" STAR TREK, but i don't like any of the characters, everything's so dark, etc.

I think the 'dark 'aspect is what attracts me to it. Never cared for the brightness, campness and political correctness of the previous shows. I think, in a similar vein, that's also why the only STARGATE show I could ever stomach was the last one, STARGATE: UNIVERSE (cancelled much too soon). The closer a sci fi show can get to something like the BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA reboot, the better.

Just to avoid any confusion: when I say "dark" I mean that I can't make out what's happening a lot of the time because the lighting is so bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just to avoid any confusion: when I say "dark" I mean that I can't make out what's happening a lot of the time because the lighting is so bad.

Ah, OK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017
    Primer

This is known as the most complicated sci-fi movie ever made, and I agree, it makes Inception look like a bedtime story. Didn't understand it at all first time through, have begun studying the graphs showing how it fits together, and plan to watch it again tonight...
  10. I wasn't aware of that film. Sounds interesting.
    Time travel stories are tricky and most mainstream scifi flicks have logical shortcomings in their plot.

Volker
  11. There is an Australian film Predestination of 2014 based on Robert A. Heinlein's story "All You Zombies". I haven't seen that either.
    I always thought that another time travel story by Heinlein, "By His Bootstraps" would make for an interesting film adaptation.

Volker
  12. New Regency apparently acquired the rights to Asimov's "The End of Eternity" in 2008. Nothing came of it so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    I wasn't aware of that film. Sounds interesting.
    Time travel stories are tricky and most mainstream scifi flicks have logical shortcomings in their plot.

Volker

it only had a 7000 dollar budget, so there probably wasn't a lot of hype (though it did win some kind of award at Sundance)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017 edited
    Thor Ragnarok

Patrick Doyle's theme at the end was a welcome reprieve from the juvenility of this movie. Reminded you that there is such thing as actual craft and art.

Movie was trash.