• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTime4 days ago
    Apes Battling and Stuff

really enjoyed this on the flight and Giacchino's score went way up in my estimation right to # 1 of this years releases, excellent stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTime4 days ago
    Timmer wrote
    Apes Battling and Stuff

really enjoyed this on the flight and Giacchino's score went way up in my estimation right to # 1 of this years releases, excellent stuff!

Apey Fighty Time is my favourite film of the year, and Giaccino's score is perfect for it. Some of that CGI is incredible. Imagine how it's going to look in another 10 years!?
  1. Last night we watch THE MUMMY (the new one). It was one of the worst films I’ve seen in a long time. I knew the critics had thrashed it, but I thought with McQaurrie and Cruise involved, and given the investment Universal is making in this new “Dark Universe,” there would surely be something of value in it even if it weren’t very good overall. I was wrong.
  2. As I understand the whole Dark Universe concept is currently stalled. Didn't the creative heads leave to do Star Trek Discovery?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited
    Steven wrote
    Apey Fighty Time is my favourite film of the year, and Giaccino's score is perfect for it. Some of that CGI is incredible. Imagine how it's going to look in another 10 years!?

you thought the CGI apes looked good? To me they looked maybe Pixar level; don't even stand up to the T-Rex from Jurassic Park!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTime4 days ago
    Don't mock Pixar level. Looks pretty realistic to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTime4 days ago
    Steven wrote
    Don't mock Pixar level. Looks pretty realistic to me.

biggrin
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime4 days ago
    christopher wrote
    Last night we watch THE MUMMY (the new one). It was one of the worst films I’ve seen in a long time. I knew the critics had thrashed it, but I thought with McQaurrie and Cruise involved, and given the investment Universal is making in this new “Dark Universe,” there would surely be something of value in it even if it weren’t very good overall. I was wrong.

I agree. It's flabbergasting because Cruise is usually VERY good at selecting genre flicks. But this one was an utter failure.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Flatliners (1990) - Joel Schumacher

For the 20th time or so. Never fails to grip me. I'll probably ignore the sequel/remake though. I don't see the need for such a film.
    I NEED THE FANTASTIC SCORE BY JAMES NEWTON HOWARD! smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime1 day ago
    Indeed. A great score. I have an old boot with pretty good sound, but I'll chuck it away for a proper commercial release. I've seen the movie once, back in the 90s. Can't remember much, I'm afraid, but I'm up for another go soon.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. "Fair Game" (1986)

A sort of Mad Max-esque smaller setting/idea Australian film.

It's scored by Ahsley Irwin. He's worked a lot with Bill Conti, so I thought I'd give the score a chance.

Terrible film, terrible synth score (with a few real instruments). Avoid both like the Plague.
    Even skimming it was a bad idea.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. "House of Clocks" (1989)

Another film to avoid. A low budget, low-acting kill-thriller.

The score, which is al over the place stylistically, is by somebody named Vince Tempera. Only the opening credits (repraised for the end credits as well) is worth hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4sII-d1qE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited
    justin boggan wrote
    "Fair Game" (1986)

A sort of Mad Max-esque smaller setting/idea Australian film.

It's scored by Ahsley Irwin. He's worked a lot with Bill Conti, so I thought I'd give the score a chance.

Terrible film, terrible synth score (with a few real instruments). Avoid both like the Plague.
    Even skimming it was a bad idea.

I rarely see the obscure TV/B movie stuff you do, Justin, but I think I've seen it -- having presumed I actually rented the US movie with the Mancina score. I can't remember a single thing of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Just how many films have actually been called Fair Game?! I also thought he'd mention the Whichever Baldwin/Cindy Crawford film, which may be idiotically awful but has one of Mancina's coolest opening cues biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website