• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018
    I seem to remember people defending the prequels on similar grounds -- but they only live on in memes these days. I guess it will take a few years before these new films can properly be judged in terms of cultural impact. My guess is once the dust has settled, it's the originals that will always rise above any new Star Wars film (unless, by some miracle, and against all odds, they manage to make a decent sequel/prequel/side-story).

The proof will be in toy sales: Darth Vader, R2D2, C3PO, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, etc. These still sell (yes, they also sell now partly because they've been reintroduced in the new films, but that only proves how the originals still reign). Naboo Fighters, battle droids, podracers, clone troopers... I'm not sure I see many of them around. I think BB8 will stand the test of time, it's a genuinely memorable design. But I doubt in 30 years time we will see kids playing with Kylo Ren dolls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I seem to remember people defending the prequels on similar grounds -- but they only live on in memes these days.

hey, people like to make fun of Episode 2, but Revenge of the Sith is rightly remembered as a good - maybe even great - film.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. Annihilation

Whatever Alex Garland and co smoked before making this, I want some. What the fuck did I just watch, exactly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Annihilation

Whatever Alex Garland and co smoked before making this, I want some. What the fuck did I just watch, exactly?

A fine movie indeed!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited
    Steven wrote
    I seem to remember people defending the prequels on similar grounds -- but they only live on in memes these days. I guess it will take a few years before these new films can properly be judged in terms of cultural impact. My guess is once the dust has settled, it's the originals that will always rise above any new Star Wars film (unless, by some miracle, and against all odds, they manage to make a decent sequel/prequel/side-story).

There's no doubt the originals will always be the gold standard but I do think the sequels are on a different level than the prequels. The fact it's got some of the same actors in it telling a continuation of the story is to its great benefit. The inherent problem with any prequel is that you know how it ends so the narrative becomes rather irrelevant and you have to make it incredibly interesting in other ways for it to work. Which they obviously didn't.

One thing the prequels did have were the extraordinarily creative visuals which the sequels don't have nearly so much of. But in all probability I'll never watch any of the prequels again and I'll happily buy The Last Jedi when it comes out and probably watch it now and again in future.

The next lot of movies (not the standalone spinoffs, which don't seem to have any great artistic purpose - having said that, I did think Rogue One was excellent) could be great if they're done properly. No constraints at all. Mind you, they won't be scored by John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Creed

Per the conversation about world-building, I'd say this movie has much, much better world-building than Black Panther. It just got everything right about the city. The long takes, the color palette, the acting, the way Creed helps Rocky unload crates, the way Rocky reacts when he learns he has cancer, everything about this movie is *real*. I felt like I'd visited Philadelphia and entered the myriad backstreet gyms and hole-in-the wall cafes. Just a masterful, masterful, immersive, heart-wrenching film. The best I've seen for a while.
  2. That's not world-building, that's the accurate portrayal of a world we already live in. Which is great and all but not the sort of thing I love. I like to be transported somewhere *new*.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That's not world-building, that's the accurate portrayal of a world we already live in. Which is great and all but not the sort of thing I love. I like to be transported somewhere *new*.

Coogler makes Philadelphia feel more alive and more wonderful than Wakanda. IMO capturing a believable atmosphere of the real world is more impressive than creating a new culture, primarily because you have to stick to a certain amount of facts, you can't write yourself out of ever corner by creating more magic plants and rocks.
  3. The French Connection (1971)

Cool and gritty film, cinematography, cast, score and all.
    It's fun to think of Roy Scheider's character as Martin Brody, chasing French mobsters through Brooklyn four years before he would move his family to Amity Island to lead a more placid live ...
    I seem to remember Spielberg himself made that kind of connection but I'm not sure.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Five years, I think smile

And yeah, I wonder if he'd ask Bruce if he ever picked his fins in Poughkeepsie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Justice League

Rather slow build up and a rather conventional beat-him-up conclusion. I liked the acting and the visuals. Nice entertainment but nothing special. Elfman's score I liked better on album than in context, but then in these films the score has few opportunities to really shine.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2018
    Saw READY PLAYER ONE yesterday. Not quite sure where to land, actually. Plenty of things I liked, but Spielberg as an auteur got a bit buried in there. Fine score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Justice League

Rather slow build up and a rather conventional beat-him-up conclusion. I liked the acting and the visuals. Nice entertainment but nothing special. Elfman's score I liked better on album than in context, but then in these films the score has few opportunities to really shine.

Volker

I watched the final battle scene on YouTube. How did a studio approve that?
  6. Pacific Rim: Uprising

Don't read the spoilers if you plan to see the movie or just don't care.

Yeah... what is there to say? The first part was Transformers vs. Godzilla, now it's Transformers vs. Transformers [spoiler]vs. Godzilla[/spoiler], which, of course, doesn't make the action scenes that much different from a Transformers movie [spoiler]until the last act, of course[/spoiler], so it has to stand up against those, which is not an easy feat for all kinds of reasons (nah, it's just budget). What the first movie did really well was placing the combat scenes in refreshingly new surroundings (like water, rain, et cetera). This one likes to show its battles in open daylight, which makes it even more difficult because the comparison with Transformers is that much easier. That said, the effects work quite well compared to the bigger franchise. As usual, we all know now that you can't bring down skyscrapers without creating a massive dust cloud, which is completely ignored, again. But the fights are well choreographed and entertaining to watch.

The story... well, there's one basic idea behind it that I really liked. It's just that the execution is a little bit unfinished, including placeholder names instead of finished research, plot points that make NO sense at all (and usually, I don't notice these things - this time, I did), and stuff like that. Also, the comedy is a little bit more on the silly side in a few places, which brings this even closer to the TF franchise. There are some red herrings and some turns you won't necessarily expect (because they, too, don't make much sense, but there you go), so, overall, this is somewhere between the original and TF, again.

The acting (if you care about such a thing when watching a movie like this) is fine. There are some fight scenes (I mean, bantering) between Boyega and that teen girl which will produce a big giggle from anyone who has siblings (not that they are), but most times, the actors have to work with really bulky lines. Maybe someone should tell director Steven Knight, who co-wrote this (if I'm correct), he can stop thinking in Latin patterns now. Spartacus is over.

The music will not win you over if you're not already a Balfe fan. Personally, I liked it. It gave the score the extra-oumph for the change of general topic it needed, while using the original theme sparingly, but in the right moments.

So, overall it sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? Strangely, I still felt very entertained, at times. It's not a travesty when you're a fan of the original, and does hold up to any TF movie easily, so, if you're into this kind of stuff, go and see it; it's still worth it, but leave your brain(s) at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018
    We appreciate you taking one for the team, Ralph.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018
    I watched "Monsters Inc." with my seven year old sister yesterday, and I can tell it's going to be a memory she has for a long time. She was absolutely enthralled with the story, and made me replay the ending scene 4 times.
  7. Existenz (1999)

The Naked Lunch version of The Matrix. Great cast, good story but I have to admit I grow a little tired of these ontological entanglements. Shore's atmospheric score serves the film well but I wouldn't probably like it much away from the film.

Volker
  8. Captain Future wrote
    Existenz (1999)

The Naked Lunch version of The Matrix. Great cast, good story but I have to admit I grow a little tired of these ontological entanglements. Shore's atmospheric score serves the film well but I wouldn't probably like it much away from the film.

Volker

One of my favourite scores. I just sit back and wallow in Shore's sonic meanderings. Great stuff. Love the score so much I am always revisiting this movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2018
    at heart he is a classical composer
    listen to more classical music!
  9. Aidabaida wrote

My pleasure. Couple days later, it still feels like something halfway between PR and TF, so I stand by my review.

RW: Ghostbusters (Girls Version)
    I never understood why this got so much hate from the start. The original had big Saturday Night Live stars, which happened to be all male, plus Sigourney Weaver. Now it's big Saturday Night Live stars, which happen to be all female, plus Chris Hemsworth, and I don't mind that, at all.

What I did mind, though, was that the humour is, by far, so much worse than the original's. I mean, the original has never been the crown jewel in comedic exercise, but the new one was bad in all the wrong places. I love these "actresses" in SNL, but here, neither script nor humour worked for me, at all.

What I did like was the badass use of the original Ghostbusters song in the score, and the effects were great, too, if slightly distracting because they jumped out of the 70 mm format all the time to simulate some 3D effect. I applaud that they tried something unusual, it just didn't work for me because it found it to be too distracting.

The second half was definitely better than the first, and the many cameos were fun, too. Hemsworth was... well, he did what he was told to do well enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing a second one IF they went for better humour next time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

My pleasure. Couple days later, it still feels like something halfway between PR and TF, so I stand by my review.

RW: Ghostbusters (Girls Version)
    I never understood why this got so much hate from the start. The original had big Saturday Night Live stars, which happened to be all male, plus Sigourney Weaver. Now it's big Saturday Night Live stars, which happen to be all female, plus Chris Hemsworth, and I don't mind that, at all.

Yeah, except the all-female cast was never actually an issue. It was a manufactured issue pushed by the marketing and then amplified by bloggers. 99.99% of people had no issue with it being all-female. Think of all the films with female leads that didn't cause controversy (Annhilation, for instance). In fact, I think that was one of the better aspects of this remake. I mean, why not? As long as the film is good.

But it wasn't.

The problem people had with it is that not only was it another remake of a beloved classic, not only was it not very good, but it came with an agenda (at least where the marketing was concerned, the film itself I didn't get that sense so much). Nor did it seem to understand what made the original so popular; the humour was lowest-common denominator quality. It insulted the intelligence of its audience. That's why it was hated... and ultimately, now, forgotten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018
    I have zero interest in seeing that.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Me neither. I will actively avoid seeing it to not pollute the perception of what is one of my all time favourite films.
  11. I haven't seen it, but the impression I get is that most of the people who disliked it did so because they didn't find it very funny or enjoyable (which, if the trailers were anything to go by, then yeah, I can sympathize). Then they were lectured by certain sections of the internet for being sexist, which caused them to dislike it even more.

I have no doubt that a few people probably did dislike it because of the all-female cast (there are assholes everywhere) but I also have no doubt that they were in the minority.

The agenda is absolutely the problem. It has to be possible to dislike a movie made with good, progressive intentions without immediately getting accused of being whatever-ist. I saw some of the same nonsense revolving around The Last Jedi - no, the reason people disliked the Rose and Finn/Canto Bight/Fathiers plot isn't because they disagreed with the environmental message, it's because said message was delivered really poorly and felt out of place and anyways that entire subplot could have been avoided entirely if the entire cast of that movie wasn't flinging idiot balls around like it's a dodgeball match instead of a Star Wars film.

...I may be a bit off topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Political agendas aren't necessarily a bad thing, but the marketing for Ghostbusters 2016 was just so damn cynical, and I think most people saw through that. Comparing it to Star Wars, I think there's far less cynicism and much more nostalgia (sure, Rey is a Mary Sue, but I think the main thing is fan service).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Check out Alex Garland's recent ANNIHILATION instead, also with all-female cast.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I haven't seen it, but the impression I get is that most of the people who disliked it did so because they didn't find it very funny or enjoyable (which, if the trailers were anything to go by, then yeah, I can sympathize). Then they were lectured by certain sections of the internet for being sexist, which caused them to dislike it even more.

yeah, I agree mostly.

just like with the new female Doctor Who, many of the people who were upset about the female ghostbusters were so not because of sexism, but because of the perception that the change was mandated by political correctness. very few people actually thought "Girls? Gross!" Of course it's easy to reframe someone saying, "Why does Hollywood force political correctness into its movies?" as "THIS GUY HATES WOMEN AND MINORITIES."
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thor wrote
    Check out Alex Garland's recent ANNIHILATION instead, also with all-female cast.

This was marginally better that EX MACHINA - but only just. And I didn't much like EX MACHINA.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Aidabaida wrote
    I haven't seen it, but the impression I get is that most of the people who disliked it did so because they didn't find it very funny or enjoyable (which, if the trailers were anything to go by, then yeah, I can sympathize). Then they were lectured by certain sections of the internet for being sexist, which caused them to dislike it even more.

yeah, I agree mostly.

just like with the new female Doctor Who, many of the people who were upset about the female ghostbusters were so not because of sexism, but because of the perception that the change was mandated by political correctness. very few people actually thought "Girls? Gross!" Of course it's easy to reframe someone saying, "Why does Hollywood force political correctness into its movies?" as "THIS GUY HATES WOMEN AND MINORITIES."

I always thought that if Hollywood was really serious about representing women/minorities better, then the best thing for them to do would be to actually create iconic new female/of-color characters rather than recast existing white male characters. A black James Bond is a much less cool idea than an awesome totally new super-spy played by Idris Elba.

Course, that would involve actual good and creative filmmaking rather than lazy rehashes hidden behind a smokescreen of virtue signalling, so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I always thought that if Hollywood was really serious about representing women/minorities better, then the best thing for them to do would be to actually create iconic new female/of-color characters rather than recast existing white male characters. A black James Bond is a much less cool idea than an awesome totally new super-spy played by Idris Elba.

Course, that would involve actual good and creative filmmaking rather than lazy rehashes hidden behind a smokescreen of virtue signalling, so...

sadly, to many, "progress" is a matter not of advancing into the future so much as revising and rewriting the past.