• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018
    I just came back from it now! Absolutely loved it to death. I think it may very well rocket into my 3rd place of the year. Some Lynch, some 80s slasher, some....well, I don't know what....heavy metal rock music video? And of course, I've always been a sucker for revenge films, so this was right up my alley. Jóhannsson's music is absolutely amazing in context, far more powerful than my soundtrack experience.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    some....well, I don't know what....heavy metal rock music video?

yeah there's some ingredient in there that i haven't tasted before. a lot of people have latched onto the heavy metal idea, but it's more than that. A completely unique feel. There's definitely something of the heavy-metal aesthetic in it, but it's mixed with pulp fantasy and just something... new. I don't know. The atmosphere is incredible.

oh yeah, and this will sound weird. I haven't watched a lot of B-movies, but I do watch MST3K, and there were certain times in the movie where it felt like one of the awful sci-fi films they would mock on that show ----- but in a good way. As in it used the uneasy off-kilter ambiance of a B-movie for it's own benefit. There's a shot where the camera pans from Cage and his wife asleep to the woods, then zooms in dramatically on the villains hiding in the trees, and I have expected to hear the Crow's voice say something sarcastic.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. The Beatles: Eight Days A Week

Ron Howard's Docu (2016) just aired on TV here in Germany. Nothing I didn't see in various other documentations already, but - yeah, yeah, yeah - it's well done. It sounds and looks fantastic.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTime7 days ago
    Upgrade

Absolutely excellent. Watched it twice. It's like a strange combination between John Wick, Lucy, and Ex Machina. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime7 days ago
    Yes, I like it too. Not on the level of LUCY or EX MACHINA (which were both my favourite movies in their respective years), but it's holding an excellent 13th place on my annual list thus far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTime7 days ago
    Yeah it’s not as good as those movies, but takes inspiration from them. Personally I was glad to see a sci-if film that actually felt pulpy and lowbrow instead of trying to be the next 2001
  2. De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe (2007)

A Dutch adventure film that just airs on German TV. The symphonic music by Nick&Simon (a folk duo?) sounds gorgeous. The score seems to have been released, jet I can't find it.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTime6 days ago
    Captain Future wrote
    De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe (2007)

A Dutch adventure film that just airs on German TV. The symphonic music by Nick&Simon (a folk duo?) sounds gorgeous. The score seems to have been released, jet I can't find it.

smile Volker

Haha, being Dutch, this is weird, seeing this here. Just to be clear, Nick & Simon do *not* write symphonic scores wink. For this film they wrote the title song, so I understand where the mixup came from. The score was written by Ronald Schilperoort, and I don’t believe his score was ever released (or if it was, it must’ve been a very limited run). The main focus around its music was that title song by Nick & Simon.
  3. BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe (2007)

smile Volker

Haha, being Dutch, this is weird, seeing this here. Just to be clear, Nick & Simon do *not* write symphonic scores wink. For this film they wrote the title song, so I understand where the mixup came from. The score was written by Ronald Schilperoort, and I don’t believe his score was ever released (or if it was, it must’ve been a very limited run). The main focus around its music was that title song by Nick & Simon.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Bob! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTime2 days ago
    Paddington 2

Kept hearing about how this is the best reviewed movie of all time and such, but wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about. Wow. This movie is BEAUTIFUL. It's imaginative and whimsical beyond anything I've seen in a kid's movie since... I don't know... maybe The Incredibles. Just a terrific film.