• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

When I fist heard of this Kenneth Branagh project, it looked like a straight remake of the 1974 Sidney Lumet film. It actually depends less on that film than I feared it would. Still, it doesn't bring much new to the table.
    It is a ground solid film, the cast is fine - Michelle Peiffer stands out in my opinion in the part formally played by Lauren Bacall - and so are the production values.
    I do think that Lumet got a better grip on the claustrophobic situation though. Branagh is possibly even more removed from the original character of Herculet Poirot than the great Peter Ustinov was. Albert Finney remains my favourite Poirot, though I was quite impressed by David Suchet too.
    Patrick Doyle delivers a really good score, but boy did I miss that iconic waltz by Richard Rodney Bennet every time the train is depicted in motion. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2018
    I was not impressed by that film at all (or score, for that matter). Slick, CGI-ish, superficial, hokey.

There is only one Poirot, and that is David Suchet.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I agree on the CGI point. The 1974 film astonishingly looks more realistic than the 2017 one.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2018 edited
    The best four movies of 2018 that I saw (I'm sure there were plenty of good movies released this year I didn't see)

1. Annihilation
    2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    3. Mandy
    4. Upgrade

Some movies I also really liked (but were not released this year), were Adaptation, The Social Network, Zodiac, and Blade Runner 2049.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. Saw MARRY POPPINS RETURNS yesterday. It was completely wonderful. That’s probably my favorite film and film music of 2018.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2019
    Aidabaida wrote
    The best four movies of 2018 that I saw (I'm sure there were plenty of good movies released this year I didn't see)

1. Annihilation
    2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    3. Mandy
    4. Upgrade

Some movies I also really liked (but were not released this year), were Adaptation, The Social Network, Zodiac, and Blade Runner 2049.

Love ANNIHILATION, MANDY and UPGRADE. They're all on my top 20 list of the year. BALLAD, I was less enthused about, but then I've never really liked the Coens that much.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Watching the opening episode of THE ORVILLE Season Two. Giving it another chance after watching - and disliking - the first episode of Season 1.

I still found it an unfunny and sterile.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn