• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I can't really discuss that further without spoilers sad
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    I've never considered her to be an underdog, really...

Despite her talent, she was always the underdog in my eyes. Against Benny, against Borgov. Only she didn't see it that way.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. For me it's hard to call her an underdog if the only true antagonist she fought was herself.
  4. I got to see the pilot of SUPERMAN & LOIS last night, and it was so good you guys! And SO cinematic, wow! I grew up on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman in the 90s, and was obsessed with Smallville in my college days. I love anything Superman, but his tender side and emotional vulnerability despite being the most power superhero on the planet, and reconciling his desire to fix everything or save everyone and not being able to despite his immense amount of powers is what makes him so relatable, because its so human that we want the best for people but what we can do to help is also limited. It doesn’t take much to make me gleeful when it comes to Superman, but I do think they’ve done a really great job with this new series so far and have a clear solid grasp of who Superman is, which I’m so happy about. And it’s as if the shows across the decades have matured as I have - so that makes is more relatable to me as a well, which is an awesome bonus. I hope you get to watch along sometime!
  5. Sounds interesting. Of course a first episode needs to capture you immediately or people don't continue, so let's hope it continues to wow you in the following episodes too wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Thanks Thomas, I hope so too! Probably the special effects will be the best in the pilot, but I'm sure even if it's less impressive moving forward, we've sure come a long way from what L&C did in the 90s! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2021
    I watched the odd episode of LOIS & CLARK back in the 90s (always found it funny that it was scored by Jay Gruska - John "Superman" Williams' son-in-law at the time).

I might check out this new series too, but I'm kinda "superheroed out", as it were.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Still in Superman mode because I just watched Zack Snyder's Justice League. I don't want to share any spoilers, so I'll just say, visually lovely, but could have used an editor. (Cinematically and musically)
  8. WandaVision

Overall, I enjoyed this though it was a bit of an unusual trajectory in terms of my enjoyment. The more the show became a 'superhero'-styled story the less I enjoyed it.

Although a lot of the references to 1950s/1960s US TV shows were lost on me, I did like the parodying of these shows and the little hints of superpowers that were included (a sort of Bewitched feel to it). But, as this feeling of parodying early shows was put to one side the less interested I was.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

I had to get a crash course from my daughter who The Falcon was and had a reminder of the history of The Winter Soldier was before this show started. But, having watched the first episode, I was pretty bored by it.

I appreciate that a first episode does have to establish the story, and I am hoping that the show will improve, but I am wondering how long I will leave it before I bail out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    So, anyone watched any NON-superhero stuff lately? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Since I don't watch superhero stuff anymore... everything I watched wasn't superhero. biggrin
  11. Thor wrote
    So, anyone watched any NON-superhero stuff lately? wink

Lots of things! But they tend to be either quiz shows (Pointless, University Challenge & Only Connect) or police shows Line of Duty, The Bay, Bloodlands (I've just finished catching up with Cardinal). I also loved things like Altered Carbon and The Expanse.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

I had to get a crash course from my daughter who The Falcon was and had a reminder of the history of The Winter Soldier was before this show started. But, having watched the first episode, I was pretty bored by it.

I appreciate that a first episode does have to establish the story, and I am hoping that the show will improve, but I am wondering how long I will leave it before I bail out.

Well, the second episode was a bit better than the first.
  13. For those in the UK and who get the Horror Channel, David Cronenberg's THE DEAD ZONE is showing tonight at 9.00pm.

One of the better Stephen King adaptations IMO the emotional power is helped in no small part by Michael Kamen's excellent score. That album could do with a bit of an improvement of sound quality.
  14. Just rewatched The Fugitive, such an adrenaline rush, in all the best ways!
  15. Andrew Davis is a fantastic director. He can make Steven Seagal watchable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Just rewatched The Fugitive, such an adrenaline rush, in all the best ways!

How bizarre! I rewatched the first half of that yesterday, before I had to go to bed, and will watch the rest tonight. I haven't watched it in probably 10 years, so that you and I both were watching this now is a weird coincidence. It's on Netflix over here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2021 edited
    I've finished Vikings, and I must admit that it left me a bit Meh overall (wherever/Netflix).

We've seen Servant Season 2 and were very happy that the series gave some answers, though we're far from sure about what's really going on there. Certainly an improvement plotwise, though I still love season 1's creepy being-kept-on-the-dark storytelling (Apple TV+).

Watching Snowpiercer now, and boy, what a f*cked up asskick setting. I'm sure some clever people will point out endless plotholes, but we really LOVE it (wherever/Netflix).

Started watching Warrior Nun, and oh boy, these actors need help. I kind of low-level like Simon Barry's stuff (Continuum, Ghost Wars, Van Helsing), but I'm not sure I dig this Buffy goes to Spain series (Netflix).

Of course we've seen WandaVision and are now into F&WS, and we love them, but are Marvelfans in general (Disney+).

The Mandalorian has yet to really grip me, until now, I find it more or less... lukewarm (Disney+). I'm way more hyped for The Bad Batch (Disney +)

Talking Disney+, Raya was well worth its money. Such a fantastically made movie.

I loved some of the changes season 3 brought to Westworld, but find it a bit stalling (HBO).

Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery was a nice change of setting as well. We don't love it, but we like it (wherever/Netflix). I can't wait for the Pike-spinoff.

If you haven't watched Carnival Row, you might give that a look. It's pretty good (Prime).

If you've not seen The Witcher, you should change that, if only for its soundtrack alone (Netflix).

Strike is that mix of Crime drama and Soap you never knew you needed (Prime?).

The Expanse is still very good (Prime).

Morning Show was WAY better than I expected. Not on Newsroom level, but wow (Apple TV+).

The best thing I've seen in recent months, however, is Love, Death & Robots, an anthology of animated shorts that includes more hits than misses, and some absolutely brilliant stuff (Netflix).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2021
    Good rundown, Ralph. I've seen most of those shows myself, and like a lot of them.

I love SNOWPIERCER, actually, far more than the Bong Joon-ho film it is based on (which was too quirky for me). I was hoping there would be some off-train action in season 2, and there was -- although still too little of it so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Watching Snowpiercer now, and boy, what a f*cked up asskick setting. I'm sure some clever people will point out endless plotholes, but we really LOVE it (wherever/Netflix).

Of course we've seen WandaVision and are now into F&WS, and we love them, but are Marvelfans in general (Disney+).

The Mandalorian has yet to really grip me, until now, I find it more or less... lukewarm (Disney+). I'm way more hyped for The Bad Batch (Disney +)

I loved some of the changes season 3 brought to Westworld, but find it a bit stalling (HBO).

Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery was a nice change of setting as well. We don't love it, but we like it (wherever/Netflix). I can't wait for the Pike-spinoff.

Strike is that mix of Crime drama and Soap you never knew you needed (Prime?).

The Expanse is still very good (Prime).

I've highlighted all the shows we have watched (save for Westworld - I've always been curious to see if this would be worth my time but have not yet gotten around to watching it). Oh, and Snowpiercer - we've seen the movie and it was enjoyable enough but I have always avoided the TV show since I have assumed that, since they are 'trapped' on the train, that the show is just a soap-on-a-train.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I enjoyed WandaVision less and less as the show progressed because of its increasing emphasis of the superhero aspect of the show. And I do have to admit to wanting to switch it off after the first couple of minutes of the opening episode because it looked like it was going to be something I wasn't expecting. But once I realised what they were doing I quickly warmed to it.

The Mandalorian and The Expanse are both excellent and I have started watching them again. I do wonder if it's worth going and reading the source novels for The Expanse.

I enjoy Star Trek: Discovery. I think. I don't really like the Michael Burnham character and she's an important aspect of the show!

Strike is really enjoyable and another police show I forgot to mention the other day is Unforgotten, where detectives investigate long-passed crimes and suspects whose lives are a lot more complex than most of ours.
  17. Thor wrote
    How bizarre! I rewatched the first half of that yesterday, before I had to go to bed, and will watch the rest tonight. I haven't watched it in probably 10 years, so that you and I both were watching this now is a weird coincidence. It's on Netflix over here.

Haha, that's a fun coincidence Thor! Lucky you though...I had to pay to rent mine through Amazon!

And I'm not really familiar with Andrew Davis, Pawel. I had to look him up to see if there were any other movies of his that are equally as good as The Fugitive. Of the rest of the ones on the list, I've only seen Holes, and Chain Reaction (and a VERY long time ago!) Would you recommend any of his others?

And I guess I'm a bit boring when it comes to TV Shows, as I hardly watch any! (Unless Superman is in it, of course) So can't contribute any opinion on most of your mentions Ralph! (The only thing I've seen was the 1st season of Star Trek: Discovery and my husband and I had fun with all the mycology/mycelium network jokes and references because we're culinary mushroom hunters, but other than that didn't care too much for it.)
  18. Thor wrote
    Good rundown, Ralph. I've seen most of those shows myself, and like a lot of them.

I love SNOWPIERCER, actually, far more than the Bong Joon-ho film it is based on (which was too quirky for me). I was hoping there would be some off-train action in season 2, and there was -- although still too little of it so far.

We're still in season one, and for now I'm quite happy with what they are capable of doing on board the train.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2021 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've highlighted all the shows we have watched (save for Westworld - I've always been curious to see if this would be worth my time but have not yet gotten around to watching it).

It's a GREAT show in season 1. Season 2 was a bit of meh for many, but I liked it. Season 3 completely reinvents the show, and not to everyone's liking, but again, I'm game. But I'm a sucker for Nolan stuff, so...

Oh, and Snowpiercer - we've seen the movie and it was enjoyable enough but I have always avoided the TV show since I have assumed that, since they are 'trapped' on the train, that the show is just a soap-on-a-train.

Not yet. At least not for me.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I enjoyed WandaVision less and less as the show progressed because of its increasing emphasis of the superhero aspect of the show. And I do have to admit to wanting to switch it off after the first couple of minutes of the opening episode because it looked like it was going to be something I wasn't expecting. But once I realised what they were doing I quickly warmed to it.

Why do you watch a superhero show if you don't enjoy superheroes? There's so much stuff out there that's probably more to your taste, and life is short. dizzy

The Mandalorian and The Expanse are both excellent and I have started watching them again. I do wonder if it's worth going and reading the source novels for The Expanse.

I haven't yet started to read them, but from what I'm hearing is that they are a bit different but also very good. They won HUGOs, after all. Or Nebulas? Not sure RN. Also, the show will end after season 6, and then there will be three more books. I'm planning on reading the whole thing once the series is over.

One question, though, how come you like The Mandalorian when it's basically a superhero show?

I enjoy Star Trek: Discovery. I think. I don't really like the Michael Burnham character and she's an important aspect of the show!

Yeah, that's a quib many people have with the show. Let's just say I like almost everything else about it, and Michael is not annoying enough to cancel the rest out.

Strike is really enjoyable and another police show I forgot to mention the other day is Unforgotten, where detectives investigate long-passed crimes and suspects whose lives are a lot more complex than most of ours.

One of the best crime shows I've ever seen is Person Of Interest. And it's not even about crimes, necessarily.

Oh, wait, The Shield is even better (I'm talking about that dirty cops in LA latino neighborhood show, not Agents of SHIELD). It got me on the edge of my seat the longer it went, with plots going on through seasons and longer. Fantastic show.
  19. Thanks, Ralph, for taking the time to comment on my own comments.

The dislike of superhero movies and TV is really down to the style that is used for the more action-oriented moments; the throwing people through buildings and any other inanimate objects, the pummelling of each other with their superpowers. It all looks so false and obviously CGI (for the most part). The parts that actually tells the story is fine. A bit like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Save for the opening 5-10 minutes it's been about the people rather than the abilities. And I love The Boys. With WandaVision, I had no idea how this show was going to develop when I started watching it. I hadn't really paid much attention to the Avengers films but I got caught up in the hype with that one.

It's funny but I have never thought of The Mandalorian as being a superhero show. Maybe the balance of the show is better for my tastes? The action certainly feels more believable. And it's in the Star Wars universe - which is a big bonus.
  20. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The dislike of superhero movies and TV is really down to the style that is used for the more action-oriented moments [...] It all looks so false and obviously CGI (for the most part). The parts that actually tells the story is fine. [...] It's funny but I have never thought of The Mandalorian as being a superhero show. [...] The action certainly feels more believable.

Okay, got that. So when it looks a bit more realistic, you're game. Fair point, though hard to achieve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2021 edited
    I don't often post in this thread, because I try to reserve my judgements of films I've seen to 'professional' settings (i.e. places I write for).

But I keep TWO updated lists on MUBI, in case anyone's interested. One is about new films of the year, the other is about ALL films I watch in a given year. For 2021, that would be these:

2021 premieres: https://mubi.com/lists/2021-films-ranked
    ALL films watched in 2021: https://mubi.com/lists/all-feature-films-seen-in-2021

TV shows, however, is another thing. I don't usually write about those professionally (well sometimes on CT if they're part of a sountrack review, but that's it). I have these two lists at FSM that I also try to update periodically:

Paranormal/normal shows of interest: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/ … ;archive=0
    Sit-coms/comedy: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/ … ;archive=0

SNOWPIERCER's second season ended yesterday. Other shows nearing the end of their season that I'm currently watching include BOB'S BURGERS, FAMILY GUY, FOR ALL MANKIND, INTO THE DARK and THE WALKING DEAD.
    I am extremely serious.
  21. Fun! I also watched The Matrix Trilogy and Jurassic Park (plus the other 4) this year. I also love Minority Report and need to get it on blu-ray because I want to watch it again too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Fun! I also watched The Matrix Trilogy and Jurassic Park (plus the other 4) this year. I also love Minority Report and need to get it on blu-ray because I want to watch it again too!

We overlap again, because I've rewatched all of those within the last two weeks. I watch all the JURASSIC PARK movies (especially the first three) every year, at least once. Which is why I've seen the first one probably close to 70 times by now.
    I am extremely serious.
  22. I know, I read your list, that's why I mentioned them, haha. smile But gosh, yes! Jurassic Park is one of my most favorite movies of all time, and I never get tired of it! I don't mind any of the others either - if it has dinosaurs, I'm in!

I watched a classic last night, well, classic to me...SPEED! The jokes hold up surprisingly well, the realism of the story, not as much, but it's just so much fun!