• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021
    SPEED is always a delightful watch. Seen it probably some 10 times over the years. An iconic 90s action classic, and a frequent reference point/analysis object in academia when it comes to act structure and tempo.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I like Speed both as a movie and a score. Mancina's action scoring is energetic and aggressive but in a very listenable way (if that makes sense). And his more emotional passages (especially for the death of one of the characters (a great example of a cue title spoiler)) are, to me, quite strong.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Mancina's action scoring is energetic and aggressive but in a very listenable way (if that makes sense).

Yes, I totally get what you mean and definitely agree Alan! I have the Speed score, but haven't listened to it for quite some time and the movie reminded how enjoyable it is! So I'll definitely be revisiting it!
  3. I saw Argo for the first time last night, and loved it so much! Very impressed by Ben Affleck as a director, and it had all the elements that I love most in movies, a little comedy, action, emotional drama...the score from it is also my favorite Alexandre Desplat score, but I had never heard it in context before. Great film!
  4. Filmscoregirl wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Mancina's action scoring is energetic and aggressive but in a very listenable way (if that makes sense).

Yes, I totally get what you mean and definitely agree Alan! I have the Speed score, but haven't listened to it for quite some time and the movie reminded how enjoyable it is! So I'll definitely be revisiting it!

The score gains a lot by playing it in film sequence (yes, I know Thor's stance). The original album is weird with how it puts the setpieces in the beginning and finishes with the very ambient atmospherics mostly taken from the film opening.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

The score gains a lot by playing it in film sequence (yes, I know Thor's stance). The original album is weird with how it puts the setpieces in the beginning and finishes with the very ambient atmospherics mostly taken from the film opening.

Perhaps an example where an album's track order has nothing to do with the chronological order in the film, nothing to do with the musical experience being the best but rather slapping a lot of exciting tracks at the start to get people to buy the album.

Potential buyers listen to the clips from the first 6-7 tracks and think "yes, this sounds great", buys the album and then hears the rest and thinks "well, the first 6-7 tracks were good!"
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Watched the first episode of Mare of Easttown yesterday.

I suppose I watched it on the back of watching cop shows such as "Scandi Noir" (whatever than means) and Cardinal - with the expectation of a show that takes it time and has a sort of depressing feel to it.

And Mare of Easttown certainly delivered on that. It was enjoyable and I will certainly be going back for second helpings. Interesting to see Lele Marchitelli (The Young Pope, The New Pope) listed as the show's composer.
  7. Watched the first episode of Tales from the Loop. Anyone else watch it when it first showed?

I quite enjoyed it. Maybe it wasn't executed as well as it could have been but I liked the ideas. And it's always nice seeing Jonathan Pryce - born here in my current home town.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched the first episode of Tales from the Loop. Anyone else watch it when it first showed?

Yes. Disliked it. A few thoughts on film and score here: http://celluloidtunes.no/tales-from-the … rd-morgan/
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched the first episode of Tales from the Loop. Anyone else watch it when it first showed?

Yes. Disliked it. A few thoughts on film and score here: http://celluloidtunes.no/tales-from-the … rd-morgan/

I've watched only 2 episodes now and, although I do like the descending piano motif as a musical idea, I find it very distracting because it's so recognisable it drags me out of the story rather than supporting the story itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2021
    Then we're on the same page.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. The Mitchells vs. The Machines (2021)

Sometimes you wonder, are it the 37.612 people that are wrong (who rated it 7 or higher), or you the 1 that absolutely thinks this is rubbish? Knew nothing about it, so totally unbiased and saw it was getting great ratings at IMDB and I literally had to stop after 37 minutes because I couldn't take it anymore. Now only the stupid animation was irritating me but also the utterly non hilarious comedy that was being pushed in your throat.

So I know I can't grade this honestly, but am I wrong to stop at 37 minutes, or did anyone quit before it?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2021
    I'm with you, Thomas. I didn't like it either. Occasionally, I like things that Lord & Miller are involved in (like LAST MAN ON EARTH or the remnants of SOLO that ended up in the film), but more often, I find their excessive, epilepsy-inducing style irritating (like those LEGO movies). OK, so they're only producers here, not directors, but their style shines through nonetheless, and it's a regressive move back to those LEGO things.

The high praise the film is getting everywere is beyond me.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Just watched the first episode of KATLA, an Icelandic drama about people being unearthed from a glacier as a volcano erupts. And enjoyed the interesting score by Högni Egilsson which I hope gets some sort of a release.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just watched the first episode of KATLA, an Icelandic drama about people being unearthed from a glacier as a volcano erupts. And enjoyed the interesting score by Högni Egilsson which I hope gets some sort of a release.

Am curious to see this series too. So will "delve" myself into the music soon too wink
  12. You won't like the music much. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2021
    Yeah, I'm about to watch it myself. Just needed to finish season 2 of BLACK SUMMER first. And the last two episodes of the latest season of THE HANDMAID'S TALE.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. It's an interesting story (only watched the first episode so far) but the look of the show is very impressive. Some of the imagery so far is spectacular!

Though I don't think that I would like to live there!
  14. Thor wrote
    Yeah, I'm about to watch it myself. Just needed to finish season 2 of BLACK SUMMER first. And the last two episodes of the latest season of THE HANDMAID'S TALE.

I just can't get into Black Summer. It's got the making of perhaps the most exhilarating zombie tension of all zombie series out there, but so far I can't connect to the characters. These short stories don't help either (so far only 3 episodes far) but still, they're got to be a spark somewhere ... I hope
  15. FalkirkBairn wrote
    You won't like the music much. wink

So far, not a lot of Netflix series wowed me with their music. So not expecting much
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2021 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I just can't get into Black Summer. It's got the making of perhaps the most exhilarating zombie tension of all zombie series out there, but so far I can't connect to the characters. These short stories don't help either (so far only 3 episodes far) but still, they're got to be a spark somewhere ... I hope

I think it's the best zombie series out there. TWD has gotten bogged down in endless, emotional tete-a-tetes and silly mythology, especially in later seasons. BLACK SUMMER, on the other hand, is about sheer survival. I don't really care about the story or characters either, but it has this tremendous intensity and sense of being there that is very much tailored to my taste. That it comes from the same guys who did the silly goofball show Z NATION is hard to believe.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. I just watched that disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow from 2004 for the first time last night in honor of my dad's birthday. I scanned the reviews and mainly the complaints were about the plausibility (or lack there of) so I thought it was the perfect movie to celebrate my dad with. Even though he passed away suddenly in 2016, he would have enjoyed ripping a movie like that to shreds with commentary on how ridiculous parts were, as we watched it, so that made me smile and want to see it. It was entertaining fluff, not bad Gyllenhaal acting, pretty bad Quaid acting, and by a composer I hadn't heard of - anyone know much about Harald Kloser? Is the score any good on it's own?
  17. I don't care much for Harald Kloser. Find most of his scores to be bland, watered-down versions of better things. He's buddy-buddy with Roland Emmerich which is why he continues to get gigs for his movies but pretty much nothing else, which tells you all you need to know.

Of his scores I'd say 10,000 BC is the best in a guilty pleasure sort of way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I just watched that disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow from 2004 for the first time last night in honor of my dad's birthday. I scanned the reviews and mainly the complaints were about the plausibility (or lack there of) so I thought it was the perfect movie to celebrate my dad with. Even though he passed away suddenly in 2016, he would have enjoyed ripping a movie like that to shreds with commentary on how ridiculous parts were, as we watched it, so that made me smile and want to see it. It was entertaining fluff, not bad Gyllenhaal acting, pretty bad Quaid acting, and by a composer I hadn't heard of - anyone know much about Harald Kloser? Is the score any good on it's own?

It's a great movie that I watch every other year or so.

It's Kloser's best score, although I'm one of the few who also really liked his and Wander's MIDWAY - also for Emmerich.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I just watched that disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow from 2004 for the first time last night in honor of my dad's birthday. I scanned the reviews and mainly the complaints were about the plausibility (or lack there of) so I thought it was the perfect movie to celebrate my dad with. Even though he passed away suddenly in 2016, he would have enjoyed ripping a movie like that to shreds with commentary on how ridiculous parts were, as we watched it, so that made me smile and want to see it. It was entertaining fluff, not bad Gyllenhaal acting, pretty bad Quaid acting, and by a composer I hadn't heard of - anyone know much about Harald Kloser? Is the score any good on it's own?

It's a typical Emmerich film, and I still quite enjoy it to this day. Kloser had a brief run of fame during the period (also Alien vs Predator movie). The thing to remember about the score for The Day after Tomorrow is the final cue, the president's speech. For the rest pretty basic and nowhere near as memorable as to what David Arnold could have given the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2021
    So finished KATLA. It was a pretty good show -- a kind of Icelandic version of the French series LES REVENANTS. Love the mood. It's better than the last couple of feature films Kormakur has done; harkens more back to his excellent first film THE DEEP. Seems to set up for a second season too.
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Thor wrote
    So finished KATLA. It was a pretty good show -- a kind of Icelandic version of the French series LES REVENANTS. Love the mood. It's better than the last couple of feature films Kormakur has done; harkens more back to his excellent first film THE DEEP. Seems to set up for a second season too.

Looks like I will stick with it. I love the mood too.
  20. Ted Lasso: season 1

Wow. I love soccer and few movies have treated this well. Somehow it doesn't feel the same to recreate the same feeling as other films can of other sports. So I want to thank the makers solely for getting it almost right. The authenticity I mean. However everything's right about this series. It's so funny, it's so witty, and it's so love-able. It's been done before yes, but when it's done right I do not care about it at all. I just open my heart and let it all sink in.

Damn brilliant and utterly memorable, the characters made this a hoot from start to finish.
    Go team Richmond.

Thor and Alan, somehow (you as a fellow soccer fans) might love this too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2021
    A list of my recent viewings with film and score ratings according to me.

Dirty Harry 8/10 Score 10/10

A.I. Artificial Intelligence 10/10 Score 10/10

We Were Soldiers 5/10 Score 1/10

Elysium 8/10 Score 6/10

The Hateful Eight 0/10 I just couldn't take anymore after about 20 minutes. The score is good, 7/10

Red Heat 3/10 Score 2/10

Sorcerer 10/10 Score 8/10

Enemy At The Gates 9/10 Score 5/10

Jaws 10/10 Score 10/10

The Lord of The Rings ( all three ) 10/10 Scores 10/10

Cool Hand Luke 7/10 Score 8/10

The Pianist 10/10 Score ( there isn't much ) 10/10
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  21. Timmer wrote
    We Were Soldiers 5/10 Score 1/10

Goodness, that bad the score?