• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Sure is.

Like a beer lick beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Dune

How on earth is this one getting 8.4 on IMDB? This has zero emotion, who cares if so many people die? I felt like I was watching a 2 and a half hour movie where nothing happened (story wise)? Arrival had the same cold approach, but it had the emotional hook of the 2 characters (and their fascination for the visitors), and the daughter subplot which gave some emotion. Dune has nothing that made me care for the characters, and it feels like the story goes about "mining", who cares?

Score wise, it's not something I'm gonna love either. True it totally makes an impact in the film and it's unbelievable that it sounds louder than the dialogue or the sound effects. But again very alienating (so cold for me too). Again no emotional connection.

I might be harsh but if this movie was getting a 7 minute standing ovation, it must have been because people's butt's were soar after sitting so long on their asses. What a waste of time. For the love of god, Free Guy had much more emotion, because it had a simple story line and it focused on the characters. Making you care that their world was gonna be destroyed. Try that some time Villeneuve jeezus.

5 out of 10

I liked the film a lot, I think the character building and emotional engagement works. The coldness derives from the colours and the music an both layers form an interesting kind of antagonistic tension. (For lack of proper words.) My only beef was, that the first 30 minutes feel like a direct remake of the Lynch version, but than again both films as based on the same novel.
    The music supports the film well, it is mixed too loud and too up front for my taste. It's not a score that I will revisit often away from the film, but that is is not necessarily a criteria for good film music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I rewatched E.T. for the umpteenth time, and still cry like a baby at the end no matter how many times I've seen it. John Williams' music just really packs a wallop, ya know.

Also, saw Black Widow last week. And while I normally love action movies, this one was utterly ridiculous. It should have been called Cat Woman instead with the more than nine lives Natasha had. I really would have rather they upped her spy/smarts ability, over her fighting ability, since she's only human without any superpowers. Never time to breathe between action sequences, and little story or character development definitely left me wanting.
  4. Son has put on THE LIGHTHOUSE. What an awful film this is.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I rewatched E.T. for the umpteenth time, and still cry like a baby at the end no matter how many times I've seen it. John Williams' music just really packs a wallop, ya know.

Also, saw Black Widow last week. And while I normally love action movies, this one was utterly ridiculous. It should have been called Cat Woman instead with the more than nine lives Natasha had. I really would have rather they upped her spy/smarts ability, over her fighting ability, since she's only human without any superpowers. Never time to breathe between action sequences, and little story or character development definitely left me wanting.

Strange about Black Widow, I liked it because there was a lot of interaction with the Russian family. So plenty of time between action sequences. I also digged the humor in this one. Goes to show how we're all different wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Son has put on THE LIGHTHOUSE. What an awful film this is.

I didn't care for it either. 93rd place out of about 110 new movies seen in 2020. To be fair, I love the premise and style, but really dislike the TONE and Defoe's scene chewery. Style and tone are two different things. I do like Eggers' THE VVITCH reasonably well, though, and hope next year's viking epic THE NORTHMAN is more like that than THE LIGHTHOUSE (otherwise, it will become another VALHALLA RISING).

I have it a bit with Eggers as I do Ben Wheatley -- on the surface, a director that should appeal to me, but whose tone often rips me right out of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. From the 1st to the last minute, this is a beautiful homage to the first film. Story wise and all. I kept smiling and smiling, a wonderful thing to see that they can still make it look like a film from back then. I wasn't overtly impressed by the music, I mean it was so wonderful to constantly hear the themes, but I felt his own personal theme was lacking power. Especially at the end this was noticeable. But the Bernstein was music was pretty powerful.

Anyway, was hard not to shed a tear at the end. And kudos to the Reitman family, they really made this a blast from the past. Wondering whey're they are gonna take it now, since the final final scene really opens up new possibilities.

8 out of 10
  7. The first episode of THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT was quite disappointing:, not very interesting. And too much fighting.

Maybe a spin-off too far?

But glad that THE EXPANSE is back!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Watched this again on Blu-ray, remains a blast from the past. And with the recent passing of Ivan Reitman, makes it even more emotional. Kudos to everyone. You keep on smiling throughout the entire film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2022
    Despite my age, I was never into the whole GHOSTBUSTERS thing. But I have the new movie on my "to see" list and will probably get to it at some point. I've heard good things.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. A good quality wine only gets better with age. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2022
    I mostly drink beer, but yeah -- good point.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. The Adam Project

Well, got what I was expecting, Ryan Reynolds is his usual self. But I actually enjoyed it a lot. I rate Free Guy higher, because that had a real emotional connection. But this was pretty fun as well. Rob Simonsen's score shines in several places, and as expected it's fun, comical and action packed at the same time. But it has heart as well.

EDIT: changed my rating, it remains fun but actually more childish than I first imagined

6 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2022
    I heard some bad things about that film. But I'm going to see it with my own two eyes when I get the chance. I listened to the score, which was very underwhelming (and I'm a big Simonsen fan), but I have hope the interesting premise carries me through it.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    I heard some bad things about that film. But I'm going to see it with my own two eyes when I get the chance. I listened to the score, which was very underwhelming (and I'm a big Simonsen fan), but I have hope the interesting premise carries me through it.

There's nothing memorable about this film, I rate Free Guy higher. And it's oh so straightforward and formulaic. But I dig fun time travel films (even though it hardly plays with the time travel possibilities). It just passed by the time and that's usually a good sign
  12. Nightmare Alley

Don't know what to make of it. At one end, beautifully shot, dark noir ambiance and well acted. At another end downright boring (very slow pace), didn't know what to make of the story until I saw it developping near the end and left me conflicted when it actually ended (what that actually it?). Perhaps I was expecting a different tale (aka monsters and the usual Del Toro influence) but it was actually just a straightforward descent into madness without anything supernatural.

6 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2022 edited
    I loved the carnevalesque first act, because that is something that speaks to Del Toro's strength, less enthused by the film noir/femme fatale-ish second act. The film was too drawn out. By a lot.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Del Toro's not my kind of director, sadly. And I really disliked Shape of Water. So, not at all interested in seeing Nightmare Alley.

Looking forward to seeing Belfast tomorrow night though - will let you know how it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2022
    I didn't like BELFAST (and thought its script win at the Oscars was a scandal -- but then again, it was a scandal that was swallowed up by other scandals this year), but maybe you have a better impression than I did.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. So, I thought BELFAST was fine. It didn't seem particularly groundbreaking to me. My mom enjoyed it more - I think there was a lot of nostalgia for her generation with that film. And if my dad were still here, he would have loved it. It did remind me of many of his childhood stories...and he was of Irish descent too. My mom also really loved the Van Morrison songs throughout, but I kind of found them over-the-top/distracting. But Colin Morgan is one of my favorite actors, so I really appreciated seeing him in something...even if it was as the villain. More of him in anything please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2022
    Do you have your mom over?
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Yes, my mom comes over for a movie night once a week. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2022
    That's nice!
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Just been watching reaction videos over on YouTube to The Danish National Symphony Orchestra's suite to THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

It's so infectious watching the reaction of people to the music. I just have to watch another. And another. And another.

It help too that this version is - by far - my favourite version of the versions that I have heard. Morricone's music is very difficult to recreate in the concert hall and the DNSO nails it. (I am in the camp that the nearer an orchestra can get to recreating the original, the happier I am.)

https://youtu.be/enuOArEfqGo
  17. That's nice. The first sign it's a good performance is that the flute at the beginning gets the rhythm right, although I'm not entirely convinced by the guitar and the trumpets. It's still better than Morricone's own live recordings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2022 edited
    Yes, the DNSO has long been a "cult favourite" orchestra internationally, with great and interesting performances of well-known and even "impossible-to-perform-live"-type scores. Like BLADE RUNNER, for example. Or the Morricones. Although based in Copenhagen, you gotta give 'em credit for naming themselves after the entire nation, while most orchestras are named after the city alone.

I think in terms of the spaghetti western sound, specifically, however, I think I prefer the aptly named The Spaghetti Western Orchestra.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Haven't heard of The Spaghetti Western Orchestra. What's their best work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2022
    Jurassic Shark wrote
    Haven't heard of The Spaghetti Western Orchestra. What's their best work?

I think maybe they only have one album recording:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7198071 … icone-Live

Don't have it myself, I've only listened to their live performances on YouTube.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2022 edited
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Wasn't willing to risk the theater in December with covid around, so pre-ordered Spider-Man: No Way Home in 4k blu-ray for my birthday and it was just released this week! I was able to finally watch it yesterday! It was really awesome, and I totally loved it! And definitely cried. I won't give away any spoilers if others haven't seen it yet, but highly recommend for superhero fans!