• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Sure is.

Like a beer lick beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Dune

How on earth is this one getting 8.4 on IMDB? This has zero emotion, who cares if so many people die? I felt like I was watching a 2 and a half hour movie where nothing happened (story wise)? Arrival had the same cold approach, but it had the emotional hook of the 2 characters (and their fascination for the visitors), and the daughter subplot which gave some emotion. Dune has nothing that made me care for the characters, and it feels like the story goes about "mining", who cares?

Score wise, it's not something I'm gonna love either. True it totally makes an impact in the film and it's unbelievable that it sounds louder than the dialogue or the sound effects. But again very alienating (so cold for me too). Again no emotional connection.

I might be harsh but if this movie was getting a 7 minute standing ovation, it must have been because people's butt's were soar after sitting so long on their asses. What a waste of time. For the love of god, Free Guy had much more emotion, because it had a simple story line and it focused on the characters. Making you care that their world was gonna be destroyed. Try that some time Villeneuve jeezus.

5 out of 10

I liked the film a lot, I think the character building and emotional engagement works. The coldness derives from the colours and the music an both layers form an interesting kind of antagonistic tension. (For lack of proper words.) My only beef was, that the first 30 minutes feel like a direct remake of the Lynch version, but than again both films as based on the same novel.
    The music supports the film well, it is mixed too loud and too up front for my taste. It's not a score that I will revisit often away from the film, but that is is not necessarily a criteria for good film music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I rewatched E.T. for the umpteenth time, and still cry like a baby at the end no matter how many times I've seen it. John Williams' music just really packs a wallop, ya know.

Also, saw Black Widow last week. And while I normally love action movies, this one was utterly ridiculous. It should have been called Cat Woman instead with the more than nine lives Natasha had. I really would have rather they upped her spy/smarts ability, over her fighting ability, since she's only human without any superpowers. Never time to breathe between action sequences, and little story or character development definitely left me wanting.
  4. Son has put on THE LIGHTHOUSE. What an awful film this is.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I rewatched E.T. for the umpteenth time, and still cry like a baby at the end no matter how many times I've seen it. John Williams' music just really packs a wallop, ya know.

Also, saw Black Widow last week. And while I normally love action movies, this one was utterly ridiculous. It should have been called Cat Woman instead with the more than nine lives Natasha had. I really would have rather they upped her spy/smarts ability, over her fighting ability, since she's only human without any superpowers. Never time to breathe between action sequences, and little story or character development definitely left me wanting.

Strange about Black Widow, I liked it because there was a lot of interaction with the Russian family. So plenty of time between action sequences. I also digged the humor in this one. Goes to show how we're all different wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Son has put on THE LIGHTHOUSE. What an awful film this is.

I didn't care for it either. 93rd place out of about 110 new movies seen in 2020. To be fair, I love the premise and style, but really dislike the TONE and Defoe's scene chewery. Style and tone are two different things. I do like Eggers' THE VVITCH reasonably well, though, and hope next year's viking epic THE NORTHMAN is more like that than THE LIGHTHOUSE (otherwise, it will become another VALHALLA RISING).

I have it a bit with Eggers as I do Ben Wheatley -- on the surface, a director that should appeal to me, but whose tone often rips me right out of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. From the 1st to the last minute, this is a beautiful homage to the first film. Story wise and all. I kept smiling and smiling, a wonderful thing to see that they can still make it look like a film from back then. I wasn't overtly impressed by the music, I mean it was so wonderful to constantly hear the themes, but I felt his own personal theme was lacking power. Especially at the end this was noticeable. But the Bernstein was music was pretty powerful.

Anyway, was hard not to shed a tear at the end. And kudos to the Reitman family, they really made this a blast from the past. Wondering whey're they are gonna take it now, since the final final scene really opens up new possibilities.

8 out of 10